Customer Service 866.965.0400

4wheeler or side by side?

JJ Stin

Well, this Summer I'm gonna get a new four-wheeler or side by side. Can't decide on which one I want. I got two currently '02 Honda Foreman 450ES & an '04 Honda Rancher 350. They have been great, very durable and hasn't had a problem out of 'em, except when I get stuck in the mud! haha.

So, my plans are to get a Yamaha Grizzly 700 or a Honda Rincon 700. Which one would be more fun? The Grizzly would be more enjoyable, imo. Greater acceleration, more speed, better 4wd and looks aggressive. The Rincon would be more durable, less problems probably, and more of a controlled bike.

Thought about getting an Kawasaki Brute Force or a Suzuki King Quad, but they just don't appeal to me. Brute Force & Can-am have V-Twins, but just not really interested in them.
So far I prefer Yamaha the most.

Then there is the market thats coming along pretty good is the side by side.
Only one thats really dominating the market right now is the Polaris RZR's,
If I do get one of those, I like the RZR 800.

What do you guys have or what to perfer?
Why you like it & not like about it.
Thanks.

Side by sides are probably safer than the 4 wheeler.  I personally like the John Deere, knowing that it's a Bombardier.  Of course, I live in the home town of JD so that doesn't hurt.  I'm sure they're PRICY.   

Side by sides are probably safer than the 4 wheeler.  I personally like the John Deere, knowing that it's a Bombardier.  Of course, I live in the home town of JD so that doesn't hurt.  I'm sure they're PRICY.   

I didn't know they were almost the same thing?

I might just get a 4wheeler, just more manvuerable in the trails.

Mook, do tell!  Which trike do you rock man?  I grew up on the Honda's - ATC 90, 110, 185s, 200s, and then in 10th grade I bought a dream - the 350X.

Jordan, between those two quads I think you have it about right.  The Honda will likely give you better service, but either could be a very fun machine.

A 4 wheeler is more fun to ride, well if it is a sport model and not one of those overweight 4x4 ones. The side by side is fun as well, but it is for lazy people.

I grew up with a Honda 300ex and 400ex. They were great. Then the Polaris RZR 800 showed up in the garage along with a long arm kit and coilovers and a few other goodies. Still nowhere near as fun to ride as the Honda's were.

I'd only get a side by side if you always are carrying 2 people or you need to use the little bed in back.  If not, I'd stick with the 4 wheeler

I agree. I'd go with a quad if you are into recreational trail riding (mudding) or anything you'd consider sporty or fun. And I'd go with a side-by-side for more utilitarian use such as hauling supplies around your property or simple offroad transportation.

These are generalizations of course, because there are sporty and utility versions of both. It depends what you'll mostly use it for.

You should kick it old school, and find a 3 Wheeler to restore!

:D

I love mine!

Mook, do tell!  Which trike do you rock man?  I grew up on the Honda's - ATC 90, 110, 185s, 200s, and then in 10th grade I bought a dream - the 350X.

former ATC 185 owner checking in!  

That being said, Honda is marked off my list.
Some guy told me if they didn't let you test drive a model, go to another dealer.

Well my riding will be pretty much a little work around the house & farm
But mostly trail riding & your usually mud holes that you encounter. I love going to the Hatfield-McCoy trails in WV, places like that.

Thinking about getting a Grizzly 700, does anyone on here have one? Shine in if so?
Maybe a Can-Am, I might get,,,,,,Just so many decisions!

I just bought two 2014 Grizzly 700's, picking them up Saturday. I have had Polaris Sportsman and Suzuki King quad ATV's and a Polaris RZR........The RZR was cool but we like the ATV's better. I have to say,  that RZR would climb anything and the power was great. With the RZR,  the wife didn't like it, said it was like driving around your truck....

I have had all the "suggested models" over the years from a Honda 90 ATC, Honda ATC 250R, Honda Foreman, Yamaha Grizzly (sold all of them) and now I own a Kubota RTV900 (side by side) and this machine is a tank! Slow, heavy but very powerful and best suited for the type of work I need it for. I will never go back to a ATV because of the stability problems on a hill....... Rolled them a few times.

I installed a Kubota snow plow and we use it to plow snow, haul wood and to do yard work on our property...... The wife even plows snow! Kubota financing is great at 4 years 0% financing which was a huge factor to consider when purchasing.

I just bought two 2014 Grizzly 700's, picking them up Saturday. I have had Polaris Sportsman and Suzuki King quad ATV's and a Polaris RZR........The RZR was cool but we like the ATV's better. I have to say,  that RZR would climb anything and the power was great. With the RZR,  the wife didn't like it, said it was like driving around your truck....

Well that does make sense driving around the truck, but this is a lot more better!

I think I'm gonna get the Grizzly. Did you get everything on yours? I know you got two, which probably got a good deal.

Both the same color & how much you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking.

I have had all the "suggested models" over the years from a Honda 90 ATC, Honda ATC 250R, Honda Foreman, Yamaha Grizzly (sold all of them) and now I own a Kubota RTV900 (side by side) and this machine is a tank! Slow, heavy but very powerful and best suited for the type of work I need it for. I will never go back to a ATV because of the stability problems on a hill....... Rolled them a few times.

I installed a Kubota snow plow and we use it to plow snow, haul wood and to do yard work on our property...... The wife even plows snow! Kubota financing is great at 4 years 0% financing which was a huge factor to consider when purchasing.

Doesn't look too trail/sport friendly.

Edited by JJ Stin

Well that does make sense driving around the truck, but this is a lot more better!

I think I'm gonna get the Grizzly. Did you get everything on yours? I know you got two, which probably got a good deal.

I got the 700 Special Edition Tactical Black with Power steering $8910 OTD (out the door)

and a 700 Blue with Power steering for $8360........

Edited by Maxcustody

TRUE! The Kubota is a "work horse" and is way too heavy for trail/sport use..... Alot of horse farms in my area have 500's and 900's for getting around, snow plowing and doing farm chores and they are very happy with the Kubota RTVs.

BTW! The Grizzly is a lot of machine for the money and performs well in many applications.

I've ridden Honda's my whole life until I bought my first sport quad last spring - a Yamaha YFZ450. As you know, what you want really depends on the style of riding you enjoy. My buddy has a Grizzly 700 and from a dead start he can keep up with my light 450 pretty easily.

I've watched that same Grizzly and a RZR 800 go through mud holes and was surprised to see they both struggled and/or did equally well. I've driven a couple RZR's, my only complaint with them is the CVT. You give it the gas at any time, and it takes a while for the trans to spool up. I like instant GO :D

Grizzly's are great picked them up last Saturday......

I saw your thread on Grizzly Central, any pics of em man?

I've ridden Honda's my whole life until I bought my first sport quad last spring - a Yamaha YFZ450. As you know, what you want really depends on the style of riding you enjoy. My buddy has a Grizzly 700 and from a dead start he can keep up with my light 450 pretty easily.

I've watched that same Grizzly and a RZR 800 go through mud holes and was surprised to see they both struggled and/or did equally well. I've driven a couple RZR's, my only complaint with them is the CVT. You give it the gas at any time, and it takes a while for the trans to spool up. I like instant GO :D

Honda's are just outdated, tough as they come. Just the power isn't there as the other Brands.

I know what you mean man! I'm probably gonna get a grizzly for now & get a SxS later.

Know idea on that part.