Customer Service 866.965.0400

Foam gun and powerwasher

Easyrider

Question

20 answers to this question

A pressure washer is quite safe when properly used. Gas units with higher psi have more potential for damage but you always use the fan spray (not the stream).   Some use a foam gun as a presoak.  There is a limit to what a ph balanced soap will do but it can help soften bonded grime.  Rinse, pre-soak, rinse, regular wash.  Another way is rinse, apply foam, then start the regular wash.

I was thinking about an electric pressure washer do you also only use the fan spray on that as well? As far as the foam gun you rinse pre soak then only rinse no agitating with a mitt then a regular wash is that correct? When I do that do I need to buy a seperate foaming soap or is it ok to use Adams soap to foam then wash? Thank you for responding so quick.

If you are planning on doing a full wash, then rinsing after foaming is a waste of soap, water, and time. After foaming, I go straight to washing.

I use an electric pressure washer with the wide fan spray for my initial rinse.

Adam's soap produces high volume suds and is perfect for your foam gun, foam cannon, and regular wash buckets. Just don't put it in your washing machine  :D

(moved into Wash, Dry & Claybar forum)

I LOVE PRESSURE WASHERS!  Especially ones made in the USA...

Used properly, a pressure washer removes more dirt, with less touching, reducing the possibility of damage.  Also, they are great at getting the muck left on the car from the Delaware winter, which has been crazy!

If you are planning on doing a full wash, then rinsing after foaming is a waste of soap, water, and time. After foaming, I go straight to washing.

I use an electric pressure washer with the wide fan spray for my initial rinse.

Adam's soap produces high volume suds and is perfect for your foam gun, foam cannon, and regular wash buckets. Just don't put it in your washing machine  :D

(moved into Wash, Dry & Claybar forum)

The reason I got confused was this guy on you tube.First he foamed his car then went right to a normal 2 bucket wash without rinsing off the foam.

I LOVE PRESSURE WASHERS!  Especially ones made in the USA...

Used properly, a pressure washer removes more dirt, with less touching, reducing the possibility of damage.  Also, they are great at getting the muck left on the car from the Delaware winter, which has been crazy!

I got to tell you its really cool to talk to the boss. My question for you is if you never let your car get rally filthy would a foam gun be overkill. So just doing a two bucket wash would be sufficent?

The reason I got confused was this guy on you tube.First he foamed his car then went right to a normal 2 bucket wash without rinsing off the foam.

A lot of people do that, the pre-foaming on the surface acts as a loosening of dirt and provides extra lubrication on the surface for your soapy mitt.  Actually, if I owned a foam gun/cannon that is probably what I would do as well, foam the car first then 2 bucket wash and rinse everything after.

Given I can foam a vehicle twice with just 1.5 ounces soap, I often rinse, foam, rinse, foam, then start the wash.  There is no strict rule and one can decide for themselves what works best for their wash method.  With a typical electric pressure washer, you are also using less water since using the water more efficiently than say the fire hose nozzle.

Given the above, I know a few who like to foam then rise prior to even doing a rinseless for added safety.  There are no strict rules.

I am a rinse, foam, rinse, wash guy.  Love the mtm foam cannon with adam's shampoo.

Helpful tip, I like to add a little bit of waterless wash to the mixture, say 1oz WW, 1.5-2oz shampoo.  Makes it real slick, and although I have no conclusive data, I like to think that it helps lift the dirt even more.

When strip washing, I sub All Purpose cleaner for the WW, as well as APC in the wash bucket.

I am a rinse, foam, rinse, wash guy.  Love the mtm foam cannon with adam's shampoo.

Helpful tip, I like to add a little bit of waterless wash to the mixture, say 1oz WW, 1.5-2oz shampoo.  Makes it real slick, and although I have no conclusive data, I like to think that it helps lift the dirt even more.

When strip washing, I sub All Purpose cleaner for the WW, as well as APC in the wash bucket.

Very helpful!

A lot of people do that, the pre-foaming on the surface acts as a loosening of dirt and provides extra lubrication on the surface for your soapy mitt.  Actually, if I owned a foam gun/cannon that is probably what I would do as well, foam the car first then 2 bucket wash and rinse everything after.

That was what a guy who is uncertain about which way to go wanted to hear.Thank you for the advice I will get my gun as soon as I can.

I know everybody poo-poos the cheap electric power washers from Walmart/ect, but will they last/suffice for just normal car washing duty? I don't have the space, money, or need right now for a proper pressure washer. I would just like a little better foaming action than my Gilmour foam gun provides.

I just started using a foam gun that hooks to your regular garden hose (Gilmore) and this is the same way I do it. I fully rinse the truck first to get the extra heavy stuff off and then foam the whole truck then 2 bucket wash and rinse everything after. It does seem to make a difference in helping release the dirt better and letting the wash mitt glide over the paint instead of grinding over the paint. I like the way it works.

I know everybody poo-poos the cheap electric power washers from Walmart/ect, but will they last/suffice for just normal car washing duty? I don't have the space, money, or need right now for a proper pressure washer. I would just like a little better foaming action than my Gilmour foam gun provides.

Nothing wrong with a cheap pressure washer. You will just buy more of them in the long run.

I have a "simonize" brand, sold through Canadian Tire, 1800psi electric $180 thing.  Probably comparable to the walmart brand, if not the same just re branded for our stores. It is great for washing cars, mine has done me 2 years so far no problems, just make sure you never let it freeze!

What are the best specifications for a pressure washer? I want to buy a gas one so I can do a little clean up around the house and wash the car using a foam cannon. I am not looking to hear about what brand of motor etc just psi and gpm number. Whats the magic numbers to get great foam and I can still rinse the car with it? 

Edited by awlazs