Customer Service 866.965.0400

Made an oops, need some advice

bamablueoval

Question

Long story short I spilled a couple ounces of mineral spirits on the back seat of my truck. They are leather and perforated in the middle. Good news is the leather is fine. I vacuumed them to get as much of the liquid as I could. Then I cleaned them and dressed them with leather conditioner. The only thing is the smell is still there. My question is...is there anything else I can do? Or do I just have to wait till it goes away on its own?

Thanks in advance!

14 answers to this question

Did you use L&IC? If so, did you agitate the area with a leather brush or MF?

May want to try APC since it's more of a degreaser. Just test first for colorfastness. May dry leather out faster...so use caution.

I spill mineral spirits all the time... In my work van ;) . Hate the smell.

If it's still in the leather, it is soaked in and needs removal. Min spirits (paint thinner) is an oil based product. If it is still in the fabric, it will look oily or more shiny than the rest of the seat.... Unless you dressed over it.

Once I cleaned it it looked more dried out than the rest of the seat. I then dressed it and it looked normal. My thinking is that since the seat middles are perforated that some of it got down to the foam of the seat cushion itself. I vacuumed it with my shop vac the best I could before I started cleaning it.

I would think that if it got into the foam then you might have to undo and pull back the leather to get to the foam to get rid of the smell. I don't think it will dry on it's own if it is in the foam and as long as it is there it will smell.

An Ozone Generator will help fix that smell!  When I used to detail cars, our customer Sly Stallone would smoke cigars with the windows closed, and the A/C on full blast in his S500 MBZ.   I had to use the Ozone Generator every week!  Guy was a bit worried about being seen, so the car had tinted windows, windshield, even sunroof.

So, that's the ticket, and besides renting one, there are some cost effective units online, and here are a few links:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Comfort-Commercial-Generator-HE-500/dp/B00CF4OMP8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1396397354&sr=8-3&keywords=ozone+generator

Then there is this guy, maybe a use once and toss type.... http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-TrueAir-Room-Eliminator/dp/B002SHCEVG/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1396397480&sr=8-25&keywords=ozone+generator

Thanks for the feedback! And thanks for the links Adam! If Mook's suggestion doesn't kill it I may just have to get one. I was relieved to find that after work today it didn't smell as strong so I am hoping that it didn't make it's way down into the seat. We shall see tommorrow.

Hey Adam......I recently had a similar ""odor accident" with a bottle of red wine breaking in my trunk. Looking on the bright side of things it was part of a case so the cardboard box soaked up most of the wine.  And the trunk "deck" covering the spare is a fiberglass/carpet thing that shouldn't have absorbed much if anything.  I've pulled out the trunk deck and used Carpet and Upholstery cleaner but still have the odor.  Will the ozone generator work on that as well?  And is it a one time fix or will have I have to use it several times to eliminate the smell?