Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brushed aluminum

livingwater

Question

I have a marine steering wheel with brush aluminum which I thought was chrome until I started wiping it down which caused scratches.

What product from Adam's can I use to bring the luster back to the aluminum?

I may change out the steering wheel if it doesn't clear up.

9 answers to this question

If it is clear coated, I would recommend washing and claying it (just like your paint).  Then try hand applied polishes.  If they are not strong enough, gently and carefully use a PC or cyclo (with the wheel OUT of the car).  Either that or use the focus pads on a drill (VERY carefully) and then finish with BG and Americana.  :)

Is the steering wheel actually brushed aluminum, or did you turn the polished aluminum into a brushed finish by wiping it down?

What did you wipe it down with?

Wet sanding my be required, and that's a tedious job. If you don't know what your doing you will have a brushed finished wheel.

MP #'s 1 & 2 will make the aluminum shine for sure, but may not remove many of the scratches (hence the need for sand paper), it all depends on how deep they are. I'm not so sure how you'd polish a round steering wheel with a machine as stated in post #5, I'd do it by hand.

You said it's a marine wheel.  Is it on a boat?  If so, bare alum pits when exposed to salt water.  Should be pretty obvious if it is not cleared or protected.  If you do polish it, polished alum pits worse than unpolished alum.  I recommend sealing it immediately.  You can even clear coat it.  Be careful, being a steering wheel, you do not want to make it too slick, esp. when wet!