Customer Service 866.965.0400

What was your first truly successful detail where it all "clicked"?

cammyfive

Question

I've been following/using Adams for a little over a year now and mainly just the interior maintenance/weekly wash products. I've done paint corrections of my personal vehicle maybe four times and only this last time (3 or so weeks ago) did it actually 'click' where I got the results I wanted and was able to walk away and look at my work and say, 'Wow!!!! That looks great!!!" Prior to that there were always a few things that I couldn't get right (never knew when the polish flashed and how to avoid overworking it, etc) but this last time I really felt good about it. Lately, I've seen a number of threads where first time machine polishers were frustrated....TRUST ME I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL! I think, with maybe a rare exception, no matter how many posts you read or videos you watch, you're not going to get it perfect and will probably walk away a little frustrated.

Moral of the story: Keep at it, practice makes perfect@

14 answers to this question

After I bought my Colorado and everything I was doing wasn't working like it did with my F-150. I had to rethink my strategy and go back at it because I couldn't give up since it just looked terrible. Asked some questions rewatched some videos. Thought outside the box and it just started to work. Now 5 years after starting to detail its finally all starting to click together and I feel confident enough to tell other what to do when they need help. 

Great thread I think! Why, because I too felt the same way. While I'm still learning I do however feel confident I can improve any surface, the question is for me, "how close to perfect can I get it". Now, while I'm not looking for 100% on any correction, if the true be know I would like to have better results. Flashing and work time for polishes seem to be an issues but with white this can be tough!

I find nothing more deflating then doing a correction in garage and putting out in the sun and you ask yourself, "what have I been doing for the last 12 hours"  because defects are still present, less yes, gone no.

Yes, with the more we do we get better, but I think I underestimated the patients and determination needed to get closer to 100% if this makes senses?

The more practice the better, and each time you use your polishes/compounds with your machines you will get a bit better at it.  I've had my Porter Cable for 9 years now and still get better each time, I'm sure the first few years I was horrible at polishing, I've gotten better but very far from a master of the craft.

I know this feeling.  The first time out I worked on my truck all day, and while it looked better it was not great.  Then i learned about the 2' x 2' test area, and use that testing area on all the cars I work on now  (Often to decide on a polish/pad combination.)  I wish I had started with that, but the extra time spent redoing my truck was more learning and machine time.

I was also lucky enough to meet a professional detailer and have "apprenticed" with him many times.  From this I have gotten to work on things that I would not get the chance too (new Camaro ZL1, 5 or 6 BRZ's, and a few boats) and to learn lots of tricks.

But time working with the machine and products is the best way to get better.      

71C6CAB3-D446-449F-8CFB-1943BB9DD89D-729

This was the time it clicked for me, after I got done doing my mustang that was VERY bad when I got it. I have done many before on some crazy cars and I am always proud of my work, but this one I stepped by and went holy crap and I got a lot of business when I posted it up on FB when I had it and random people walking down my street saying wow that looks great.

71C6CAB3-D446-449F-8CFB-1943BB9DD89D-729

This was the time it clicked for me, after I got done doing my mustang that was VERY bad when I got it. I have done many before on some crazy cars and I am always proud of my work, but this one I stepped by and went holy crap and I got a lot of business when I posted it up on FB when I had it and random people walking down my street saying wow that looks great.

Yes, that sure is a bute!! Love the "chrome" like look of the black!

2008ish, after finishing up the interior and mechanical restorations on the vette, I had to learn the paint. I knew Corvette clear was tough as nails compared to other vehicles, and I spent a considerable amount of time in this one spot until I figured out what I had to do to the rest of the car, on and off, over the course of the following weeks. 

3.jpg