Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dusting Question

AdamEL

Question

Hey guys, I have a 2010 SS Camaro that I bought pre-owned last year. When I first got it, the paint was horrible, swirls everywhere, and that's with just 5,000 miles on it. I immediately brought it to the best local detail shop for paint correction and they got it fixed up 100%. Looks brand new, and it has looked brand new all year because I take super good care of it. When I was talking to the detail guy about car care, he told me everything that I already knew about keeping the paint clean, but he also said to never wipe it down unless you're using a detail spray or something like that. Would it swirl my finish if I lightly "dusted" it with my Adam's Double Soft towels? Since mine stays in the garage 5 or 6 days a week and never sees rain, it rarely gets dirty. It just gets slightly dusty, at best. Can I just gently wipe it to get that off without damaging the paint? 

post-11415-0-48806200-1403373937_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

9 answers to this question

I would suggest using diluted rinse less wash or waterless wash. These would "lift" the dust from the surface of your car and prevent the dirt particles from scratching the surface. In the absence of rinse less/waterless wash, detail spray could be used.

I would not.  Why take the chance?  It doesn't have to rain for the car to accumulate gritty dirt on it.  A good detailer will tell you to NEVER wipe down a car with just a towel after driving it.    

The only time I would just use a towel is if Its been freshly detailed and sits in the garage over night without it going ANYWHERE. 

That's cool. Thanks, guys. I've never wiped it dry, but figured that these towels were so soft that it couldn't hurt it. But I won't try it. Thanks for the advice.

When my cars need dusted, I use Detail Spray and a micro. 

WW, DS or both are your best friend to remove dust.

I do the same thing and it works just fine.  For heavy dust rinseless wash is the way to go.

Yep, Waterless or diluted Rinseless are perfect for dust removal.  The liquid will emulsify, soften, and suspend the dirt/dust particle off the surface, making removal much safer than doing it with a towel only.

Even with the world's softest towel, wiping it across the surface still drags that little dust particle (which is essentially a microscopic razorblade) across the paint without pulling it away from the paint.

Long story short, dry dusting is a major no-no if you want to achieve and/or maintain perfect paint.

I appreciate it, guys. As I mentioned earlier, I've never actually done it before, but just thought since the Adam's towels were so soft, it might not hurt. I definitely won't ever do it, and will stick to the detail spray if necessary. Last night, my car actually saw a few minutes of rain on the way to my Camaro club meet, so I just ended up doing a full wash when I got home around 11pm. Problem solved.  :)