Customer Service 866.965.0400

Orange peel??

tdkkart

Question

Hello,

How much orange peel is too much to try to take out??

I just bought a '12 Dodge Challenger, gun metal gray with HUGE amounts of orange peel.

You can actually feel the dimples in the finish.

To make it worse, the clear coat seems to be rock hard. There's very few scratches or swirl marks in the whole car, so it doesn't need alot of correction that way but I'd like to knock down some of the peel.

I went after it with the correcting polish and orange microfibers, got a start on it but it's gonna take forever.

Is it possible or even advisable to try to get as much of the peel out as possible??

7 answers to this question

From my research, the only way to knock down huge amounts of orange peel would be to wet sand the whole car, then follow it up correcting polishes via microfiber pads or foam pads.  So it is possible, but since you weren't even sure how to remove orange peel out of a clear coat, you probably shouldn't be trying it unless you don't mind the consequences of sanding through your clear and removing paint.  

If you can feel the orange peel, time to let a body shop wet sand and/or cut it down with a wool pad on a rotary. Yes there will be a ton of haze when they give it back but you won't be getting the orange peel out even with Adams most aggressive method, and/or a DA polisher for that matter

This is simply the typical peel you see to one extent or the other on nearly every car on the road these days, which disgusts me to no end.

I come from the single stage laquer days when orange peel meant you had mucked up your paint job.

And those days were about the last time I did much messing with paint.

I know full well HOW to get rid of it, sand, buff, or polish enough and it WILL come off. 

I guess what I was looking for was advice on if I should try to get rid of it, and if I'm going to

have any clearcoat left after I do??  How thick are the OEM clear coats??

Thanks

Tom 

Edited by tdkkart

Don't worry about orange peel on a modern factory finish because even $1mill exotics have it these days. If you think it is excessive, file a warranty claim with your dealer or Dodge customer service rep and see where that gets you.

i would take it to a body shop, file a claim too, but insist on using your body shop - not the dealership.

if the body shop burns through the clear its their problem and that a better position to be in IMO.  

good luck getting it corrected!