Customer Service 866.965.0400

Hair Dye on Paint

Coal is King

Question

My wife's niece recently purchased a new Yaris. This evening while traveling home a kid was in his yard shooting a paintball gun (or something) with hair dye in it at cars as they passed. She was hit around four times with, I'm not sure only seen these pics.

Anyway she called the police and went back to the house. The mother of the son said she would try to take care of it. We'll she is single mother of three who works as a waitress. So I'm not expecting too much help. They plan to get an estimate at a body shop tomorrow, but I would like to help her out.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of what it will take to remove this. I have a Griots DA and numerous polishes and compounds. I'm thinking though the initial removal will require more than my pads can offer. Any info is appreciated!

post-10997-0-41141400-1409879293_thumb.jpg

post-10997-0-51606800-1409879310_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

Perhaps paint thinner. I would try clay first or perhaps buttery wax or brilliant glaze because they both contain solvents in them. Then you can also try going at it with a polish then compound. Remember to try the least aggressive method first.

Edited by SYMAWD

I would try to dissolve it before claying if possible, just like the thread that got derailed a couple months ago when someone said to clay dried on tar off the car first.

Try the WD-40, its not going to harm your clear coat and is a cleaner so it may take care of the paint with very light agitation with an MF towel.

According to my wife, hair dye isn't that much of a problem.  She's gotten it on rugs and the shower curtain any number of time and all she did to get it out was to wash it in the washing machine like always.  So maybe try using Dawn since that's what we all use to strip the wax.  Scrub the area and rinse, then try some clay if it doesn't all come out and then re wax to protect it from another idiot kid. 

Let us know how things work out.

I mentioned to her the wd40 idea, her being a young twenty something sprayed it on , but only left it on 5 mins or so......she had to go somewhere, probably nowhere but had to go. So when she has the time to slow down and let me look at it I will try some various methods. Will update once that happens.

Update for you guys machine polish handled the hair dye. A clay sponge would have probably worked but, it was showing potential but would have required a lot of time. Clay on its own prob same didn't try. But the machine polish brought it right off. No chance to wax it yet, but hope too this weekend.

Thanks again for all the suggestions! Great forum!

Update for you guys machine polish handled the hair dye. A clay sponge would have probably worked but, it was showing potential but would have required a lot of time. Clay on its own prob same didn't try. But the machine polish brought it right off. No chance to wax it yet, but hope too this weekend.

Thanks again for all the suggestions! Great forum!

Glad you were able to work it off!