Customer Service 866.965.0400

Liquid Paint Sealant- Hand or Machine applied?

gapwedge

Question

The description of the LPS says it can be applied by either hand or machine. On my wife's vehicle last week I used my machine and was able to distribute a nice thin and even pattern and it was easy to remove. Today I thought I would just do the hood of my car and opted to apply by hand. I had a hard time getting a thin layer and so areas had more sealant than others. Plus it was harder to remove ( probably from not applying it thin enough). It also appeared to leave light and dark streaks on the dark red metallic paint. I was able to rub them out however. If I do the remainder of the car it will be by machine or I will use Quick Sealant instead. I am still new to Adam products so still figuring out what works for me.

Edited by gapwedge

9 answers to this question

Pretty common among liquid sealants and waxes I've used. Application by machine of course allows you to get a super thin application of whatever it is you're applying which is always the goal. Makes removing much much easier. I only hand apply in areas the machine won't fit, other wise not much of a reason I wouldn't use a machine. 

I agree that using a DA will allow you to put a nice thin coat.  I have applied liquid paint sealant by hand and all I used was a dime sized drop and spread it very thin say on the hood.  I also use kiss the applicator on the panel to remove any excess wax and use that as a starting point on the next panel.  I apply on the applicator as needed.

I agree that using a DA will allow you to put a nice thin coat.  I have applied liquid paint sealant by hand and all I used was a dime sized drop and spread it very thin say on the hood.  I also use kiss the applicator on the panel to remove any excess wax and use that as a starting point on the next panel.  I apply on the applicator as needed.

Maybe it can be spread on thinly by hand. But comparing the 2 ways I've tried the machine method seems much more efficient. Now Glaze is another story. I find it easy to apply by hand. I'll save the LPS for my machine and use the Quick Sealant by hand.

Maybe it can be spread on thinly by hand. But comparing the 2 ways I've tried the machine method seems much more efficient. Now Glaze is another story. I find it easy to apply by hand. I'll save the LPS for my machine and use the Quick Sealant by hand.

I think you got it now! I too like to glaze by hand. Seems like I can get all the areas fairly quick.  I save the LPS for the machine. Like everyone said, the thinner the better and easier to remove.

When I used the LPS the first time, I had the same problem. I used too much. I did notice it's VERY hard to remove from my yellow hex applicator. APC pure won't take it all out. So that is not my sealant pad only.

Are there plans on bringing to hex applicators back in the future?

You'll notice this not only with LPS but most polymer sealants.  Menzerna Power Lock does the same thing for me, full strength APC, as well as a more powerful D108 Meg's degreaser could not break down all the sealant in the applicator.  I also tried full strength Dawn and even it did not get all out, but most.  It's just the nature of them, made to be durable.

Best bet is to make your applicator dedicated to one specific product, mark it if needed, clean it as best you can, and after a few uses, get rid of it for a fresh one.