Customer Service 866.965.0400

Can this be wetsanded and polished?

egott_91

Question

Well, I was an idiot and decided to move my car this morning without putting my contacts in and tapped the garage. Can this be wetsanded and polished out? I tried PCP on a foam pad with a drill, didn't even put a dent in it.

11EF45B8-9923-43F4-9C52-FF2EE6D3616B_zps

0EB9DF31-6199-4990-BC69-CF04636E6390_zps

Edited by egott_91

15 answers to this question

My bad I meant to post his thread on Autopia not AGO.  This is what he said "Sorry slow reply...no secrets. .The feathering was real deep..so I use a PGP filler..let that dry..sanded down to level...used touch up paint..2 bottles and sealed with CQuartz"

Edited by JHL88

I'm not comfortable with wetsanding, so looks like I won't be doing it on my own.

I would get some quotes to get it fixed, then try your hand at wetsanding.  You never know, it may be fixable and you have learned a new skill AND saved some money.  If you stay with 3000 or 2000 grit paper it is not much rougher than grade school construction paper, and it will easily polish up with PCP and an orange pad.  If the wetsanding does not fix it to your satisfaction, you still have learned a new skill, and your work will be covered up by the body shop.

I would get some quotes to get it fixed, then try your hand at wetsanding. You never know, it may be fixable and you have learned a new skill AND saved some money. If you stay with 3000 or 2000 grit paper it is not much rougher than grade school construction paper, and it will easily polish up with PCP and an orange pad. If the wetsanding does not fix it to your satisfaction, you still have learned a new skill, and your work will be covered up by the body shop.

That's a good suggestion.

The spoiler needs repainted on it also. It had some paint chip off a year after I bought it and I've just never bothered getting it repainted as I'm afraid the color will be off or I'll have to get the fenders blended to match. Plus I only notice it while washing it and I don't drive it that much anymore.

I would just pay a body shop a couple hundred bucks to have the area repainted properly. You won't need to repaint the whole bumper.

Actually, you may have to.  My understanding is that if you don't repaint the entire bumper, the repainted area will eventually peel off.

Not if it's done properly. They Are just gonna hit the affected area with some color (after bein prepped properly) and clear and after that they will wetsand and blend the area.

I had my old car in for similar damage and the body shop owner told me that's all they needed to do. When I picked it up it was seamless.