Customer Service 866.965.0400

how do you clean towels?

SS LeadFoot

Question

14 answers to this question

It depends on what I used the towels for.  If the towels are still wet from a WW or rinseless wash, I find that just water in the washing machine will make them perfectly clean.  If the towels have dried were used for wax, sealant, or polish removal, I wash in Microfiber Revitalizer and Brightener.

As far as methodology, I spot treat and rinse each towel after I am done with the vehicle.  I then hang them all to dry, once dry I put them in two lidded trash cans for storage (2-3 gallon cans, not big cans), One can for cleaner towels, one can for dirtier towels.

Once I have enough used towels (or run out of a particular type of towel), then I wash them in the washer with 2-3oz of MFR&B.  I run two separate loads, the first load is utility towels I use on the wheels, door jambs, and anything else that results in excess soiling.  The second load is drying, polishing and any interior towels that are not overly dirty.

This method keeps my good towels from mixing with towels that get dirty.  The only downside is you have to have a supply of towels to only run laundry every once in a while, rather than every week.  With regular maintenance washes, I can go about two months before needing to do laundry.

It took me awhile to build up my towel inventory, but I prefer not having to do small loads every week.

I separate my towels.  Microfibers in one load, waffle weaves and drying towels in another. Treat both with Microfiber Revitalizer and wash with LIQUID soap, NEVER powder.  And I put them in the dryer but no dryer sheets. I wash in hot water cold rinse.

Thanks guys for all the info. I just started using the microfiber towels. I used to just use 100% cotton towels and throw them away once they were dirty. That method would be expensive with microfiber lol. Think I will try the woolite option first, then the adams cleaner stuff.

I tried the Woolite...........no good.  Woolite is for cold water first off, and that won't clean and degrease your towels.  You're better off with Tide or Purex or some other liquid detergent and hot water. Just my .02c.

I use Micro-Restore (basically MFR&B but another brand).  Will probably get a bottle of MFR&B when it runs out.

I wash on hot with cold rinse, I use the "heavy/normal" cycle (so it agitates dirt/grime longer), 2 oz in a large load.  Toss everything in the dryer on low heat, come out perfect every time.

I don't use the microfiber revitalizer to wash the towels.  I spray it on the towels, especially the dirty spots, let it sit for a bit, then wash with detergent. Might not be the recommended way to do it, but I get better results that way.