Customer Service 866.965.0400

liquid paint sealant machine speeds

Z06Seal

Question

What speed are you guys applying the liquid paint sealant at on a pc and a flex? (7 inch pads) I saw on another thread it was hard with a 7 inch pad and pc because the low speed makes it very hard to keep the pad spinning (don't have 4 inch sealant pads)... I have a flex on order which arrives tomorrow so I can use that since it's forced rotation... just dunno what speed you guys go to

Thanks!

19 answers to this question

3 for pc, 1 or 2 on flex... got it...

At 1 or 2, the pad will not even spin on the pc with enough pressure to flatten the pad lol

There's no additional pressure needed. The pressure of the machine is plenty.

I like to put the sealant on the pad and then spread it out by dabbing the panel before even turning the machine on. Then once it's dabbed across the panel I'll turn the machine on and then work in a snake like pattern horizontally and then vertically just to make sure a spot isn't missed.

What speed are you guys applying the liquid paint sealant at on a pc and a flex? (7 inch pads) I saw on another thread it was hard with a 7 inch pad and pc because the low speed makes it very hard to keep the pad spinning (don't have 4 inch sealant pads)... I have a flex on order which arrives tomorrow so I can use that since it's forced rotation... just dunno what speed you guys go to

Thanks!

As the others already confirmed - LOW SPEEDS!

1-2 on the flex

3 or lower on the PC

The rotation doesn't matter in the LSP stages - remember you are only using the machine to spread a coating of the product over the surface, not polishing. No pressure needed and rotation is a moot point.

A couple of weeks ago I used my new Porter Cable for the first time. Speed 3 to spread Liquid Paint Sealant and a top coat of Buttery Wax worked perfect.

Same here. I use 3 on my PC, works great. 

Just the 'jiggling' action of the PC style machine (Griot's) is enough to distribute the sealant (or wax) more thoroughly and evenly than if you were working by hand - even when the pad doesn't rotate. I seem to recall Adam recommending the PC for the original Super Machine Sealant because the forced rotation of the Flex put such a distinctive circular pattern down that even after wiping the product off, you could see halos or 'tiger striping' in certain light. Of course, it went away after the first bucket wash. That issue was not a concern with the PC 'jiggler' distributing the product. I believe that's one of the issues they addressed in developing the new Paint Sealant. I haven't noticed any halos or 'striping' using the 'new' paint sealant with my Flex on speed 1. Wipes off like a dream.

What is a good setting on the Cyclo? 

Will the paint sealant "flash" or how will I know when that section is complete, what am I looking for?

Another random question but, after applying sealant and waiting 30 minutes for it the cure can I then apply the buttery wax on as well? Would I use the same process as applying paint sealant in terms of cyclo speed / light pressure? Also, would I use a fresh set of the same (black) pads? Thanks!

Will the paint sealant "flash" or how will I know when that section is complete, what am I looking for?

Another random question but, after applying sealant and waiting 30 minutes for it the cure can I then apply the buttery wax on as well? Would I use the same process as applying paint sealant in terms of cyclo speed / light pressure? Also, would I use a fresh set of the same (black) pads? Thanks!

Run your Cyclo on low speed, all you are doing is spreading the sealant out evenly.......after your LPS is dry you can wipe off and then you could apply Buttery.

Run your Cyclo on low speed, all you are doing is spreading the sealant out evenly.......after your LPS is dry you can wipe off and then you could apply Buttery.

Cool, so just ensure a good even spread of the sealant.. wait 30 minutes (or until dry) wipe off with a double soft.. then apply the Buttery with the same technique

Remember less is more......put a thin coat of LPS.

I have never applied Buttery with a machine before I always apply by hand.

I have too in the past (since I didn't own a polisher) .. and Buttery goes on so.. buttery that I may just have to continue by hand :) thanks

3... anything lower and the machine bogs down excessively.

No flash... remember, this isn't a polish. Spread a thin layer over the surface, allow it to haze, then buff off the residues with a microfiber towel.

Another random question but, after applying sealant and waiting 30 minutes for it the cure can I then apply the buttery wax on as well?

Yes.

Would I use the same process as applying paint sealant in terms of cyclo speed / light pressure?

Yep. Identical process.

Also, would I use a fresh set of the same (black) pads? Thanks!

Yes. Always a new set of pads for each product.

3... anything lower and the machine bogs down excessively.

No flash... remember, this isn't a polish. Spread a thin layer over the surface, allow it to haze, then buff off the residues with a microfiber towel.

Yes.

Yep. Identical process.

Yes. Always a new set of pads for each product.

Just to clarify, I thought the cure time was 1 hour before a wax could be applied, per instructions?  So 30 minutes is also doable?  I used a Rupes with my liquid sealant this past weekend, speed setting 1-2 works great.