Customer Service 866.965.0400

Correct Pad/Mitt/Towel for Different Washing Methods

LT1xL82

Question

I am a bit confused on which pad/towel is "best" to use for different exterior paint wash methods. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the different tools?

2-bucket method:

Adam's sells wash pads with it's kits. (Maybe use a mitt if it is someone's personal preference?) But what about plush single or double soft towels? Or even a Waterless Wash Towel?

Gary Dean Method:

Plush Double Soft or is that overkill. Plush Single? How about 2 or more Adam's Waterless Wash Towels using several "sides" per panel and setting aside to be cleaned when all the sides are used..

Rinseless Method:

Adam's kits are sold with double soft for both the "wash" towel and the "dry" towel. How about using a single soft? How about a folded Adam's Waterless Wash Towel as the wash towel?

Waterless Method:

Adam's sells the Waterless Wash Towel in the kit. Is it the best tool or is there a reason to use single/double soft?

Maybe another way to ask is:

1) When does it make sense to use a pad versus a towel? 

2) When does it make sense to use a double soft vs. a single soft towel? 

2) When does it make sense to use a Waterless Wash Towel?

Thanks in advance for assisting a Noob!

Joel

4 answers to this question

In my opinion, I save the wash pad for 2-bucket washes only.  With a separate mit for wheels.  The towel for a bucket wash would require very thorough examination and rinsing to ensure dirt isn't moving from one part of the towel to another during the rinse agitation.  But if you're using a one wash bucket full of towels and you have enough to not re-use a dirty towel, then it's whatever you're comfortable with.

I haven't had a chance to use Adams towels yet, but based on the reviews it seems like the waffle weave and single soft are great towels to use.  

The biggest thing I consider when I clean, is where's the dirt?  I dont want it in my wash bucket, and I dont want any residual left on my towel or pad when I go do wipe.  I clean, soft towel will not swirl, but dirt will.  The only problem a towel should cause is lint, and lack of absorbing whatever you're cleaning product you're trying to remove.

Partially dictated by what process you're doing, partially dictated by preference. Part of this reads like you're mixing traditional washing and rinseless washing, they are 2 very distinctly different processes. Different chemical technologies that both accomplish a similar task, but they do so in a different way so you can't simply blend half of one process with another and expect it to work.

2-bucket method:

Adam's sells wash pads with it's kits. (Maybe use a mitt if it is someone's personal preference?) But what about plush single or double soft towels? Or even a Waterless Wash Towel?

Wash pads are sold with traditional wash kits. Towels are sold with rinseless wash kits - the differentiation comes down to what material is better suited to the process. In traditional washing you need to get gobs of soapy water on the finish for maximum protection/lubrication and suspension of particulate. The wash pad accomplishes this, a towel would not, at least not well.

Gary Dean Method:

Plush Double Soft or is that overkill. Plush Single? How about 2 or more Adam's Waterless Wash Towels using several "sides" per panel and setting aside to be cleaned when all the sides are used..

AKA - using multiple towels - but again, this is for rinseless washing. Rinseless washing is best done with plush towels, not waffle weave, its simply more conducive to how the product works. Depending on how dirty the car, how particular you are, and how methodically you work you can go with anywhere from 4 - 20 towels in a process like this. I personally prefer the double softs for rinseless as they hold the most solution.

Waterless Method:

Adam's sells the Waterless Wash Towel in the kit. Is it the best tool or is there a reason to use single/double soft?

Again, a case of the tool that designed best to work with that chemical. Waterless suspends particles and needs to be absorbed/removed. Waffle weaves do one thing very well, absorb liquid. Feel free to try a plush and see the difference, but you'll likely see the product smeared around more than removed as plushes don't pick up the liquid effectively.

On the flip side Detail Spray does leave a film behind, so plushes make sense, they spread the liquid and allow any streaks to be buffed away without leaving anything behind.

Maybe another way to ask is:

1) When does it make sense to use a pad versus a towel? 

The only time a wash pad will be used is in a traditional wash.

2) When does it make sense to use a double soft vs. a single soft towel? 

Personal preference. They're almost identical material, one is simply 2x as thick, so it comes down more to do you prefer a thick or a thin towel.

2) When does it make sense to use a Waterless Wash Towel?

When using Waterless Wash (the name waterless wash towel is more than just a coincidence) ;)

Look at it this way - we pair things up in kits for a reason, as its what we tested and configured to work best with the other products. There is purpose built into any product bundle. Don't over-think it...

Joel what are you looking to accomplish?  There are a few different ways to safely wash, however I will note your confusions.

Standard 2 Bucket wash - Nothing wrong with using this method, 2 wash pads or wash mitts are used, cleaned often, and one is dedicated to upper portions of the vehicle and one is dedicated to the lowers.  Note that I also recommend use of a 3rd dedicated bucket and wash media for wheels/tires, do not intermingle these tools and media with use on your paint.

GDWM - Yes we know he didn't invent it.  However this refers to a method of Rinseless washing where 1 bucket, and no grit guard is used, and you may soak some plush towels (approx 10 including dedicated wheel towels) in a bucket with 1-2 gallons of solution diluted Rinseless (1-2 oz total).  You use a towel until the clean sides are spent and set aside for laundry.

GD "Perfect Wash" method - This refers to a video of a hybrid of traditional washing, but you'd like to use GDWM with it, the concept of one bucket, and not reintroducing towels with dirt to clean soap/towels.  You would need the same amount of towels as the regular GDWM, and this is a very efficient method, especially combined with a foam gun pre-soak.

Adams Rinseless Method -  This is the traditional way of doing this method by many other brands (OPT, etc), using plush media and 2 buckets, you go over a panel with your rinseless dilution soaked media, then dip into the rinse bucket to dislodge dirt.  Then re-dip and soak into the "wash" bucket and go over another panel, drying the panels in between that you just completed.

Waterless Method - This should be done only on light dirt/dust accumulation as this method uses the least amount of lubrication and dry towels, this is a "spray and wipe" method with either the RTU Waterless or Rinseless diluted to a waterless solution.

You ask many times in the methods above about using Waterless (waffle weave) towels for either GDWM, "Perfect Wash", Adams Rinseless method.  These are NOT the towels to use for any sort of traditional or Rinseless process, because of the low nap.  Waffle weave towels are meant for absorbing water, or a spray and wipe situation.  Only use waffle weave towels for interior work, for a "spray and wipe" situation like Waterless Method, or for drying your vehicle with a GWDT.  Wash pads are for traditional washes only, do not use them with rinseless washing IMO. 

I prefer the use of plush open nap MF towels such as Double or Single Softs for all my rinseless washes.  If you choose to do a "perfect wash" method I would recommend the same type of towels, and use your waffle weaves for drying.

Hope that helps!  I saw D replied above so I tried to condense my response.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

THANK YOU FOLKS! Your replies are greatly appreciated, both the knowledge and time you put into answering my questions.

Until my recent purchase of Adam's products, I used the "Cringe Method". Basically I would wash the car in a fashion that would make you cringe! Next Monday I pick up my new car. After decades without a performance car, I decided my car care techniques needed to be upgraded along with the car! :)