Customer Service 866.965.0400

Straight to sealant on brand new car

AvsBest

Question

My buddy ordered his car a few weeks ago and received it yesterday straight from the railcar. The dealer washed it and PDI'ed it. I was completely shocked that even after washing the car full of rail dust and dirt, the dealer didn't introduce any swirls whatsoever on the paint. It is 100% perfect, no need to correct anything at all.

Now, it only needs a coat of sealant but how do I get there? It obviously needs some claybar-ing but I was thinking of skipping over that because I will introduce some minor damage by doing that and will need to fix it before sealing it.

My preferred method: Wash, then straight to sealant.

Option B: Wash, Clay, probably gonna need fine machine polish, sealant.

Btw, I'm using machine super sealant with the PC

8 answers to this question

Check to see if it needs clayed using the bag method.  Stick your hand in a plastic grocery bag and rub it over the car (CLEAN CAR) and if you feel bumps, it needs clayed, if not, I'd do a IPA wipe down of the paint and seal it. 

^^^ agree with both above... "rail dust" is known as that b/c its typically introduced when the car is traveling by train. Odds are it needs clay.

Some dealers actually clay and there is a chance this dealer did if they gave it a swirl free wash. Nothing a baggy test won't reveal.

If your happy with the finish I'd just hit it with DWC at 1:1, re wash and seal,what are the chances your "buddy" will treat the car the same as you? I don't know how many friends/ family I went all out for and the cars just get trashed. Always a correction down the road then at that time I'd give it the works.

^That should be all thats needed on a brand new car as long as it wasn't prepped incorrectly.  Keep it sealed and enjoy the shine!

FYI if done properly and with enough lubrication you should never be marring the paint whatsoever, unless you are using an aggressive clay, which in that case you are already to polish afterwards anyway.

^That should be all thats needed on a brand new car as long as it wasn't prepped incorrectly. Keep it sealed and enjoy the shine!

FYI if done properly and with enough lubrication you should never be marring the paint whatsoever, unless you are using an aggressive clay, which in that case you are already to polish afterwards anyway.

That's probably what did it, I used 3/4 of a detail spray bottle