Customer Service 866.965.0400

anyone lose interest in detailing?

ExpressThis13

I know for certain my next truck or car will be either silver or white.

That is the reason I have a silver (SUV) and white (Truck).

The best way to not lose interest is to keep reasonable goals. 

You need to make sure that your goals and expectations align with your commitment of time and level of enjoyment in detailing.  You can't have the shiniest vehicle around without working for it, but you also don't want to over-commit and end up regarding detailing as a chore, and then get burnt out

Two very good points. 

• 1 month later...

I'm a supervisor of 20 engineers and the PE for a tight deadline project. most of my day is spent talking with other people, who usually are only talking to me cuz there's a problem with something, some where, and im apparently the only one that can tell them how to fix it. It can be an extremely stressful job (that i do love tho).

Because of that...detailing my truck has been my "get away." it's the only time of the week (or every other if the weather is bad) that is 100% for me and i'm 90% sure no one will bug me. The Gf refuses to come out when im detailing, for fear that i'll put her to work lol. i usually detail during the hottest part of the day, so none of my neighbors will stop by with the ever-so-clever "you can do mine next!" jokes that seem to NEVER get old (pfft).

it's calming to me to work hard on cleaning the truck, and then standing back and seeing a great finished product. i'm not a professional...and i never want to be.

IMG_20150718_202535_zpsywrewlti.jpg

You have your priorities straight and twins do take a ton of time.  Mine just graduated from college, so my time in mine again.  But from 0-18 I had to make sacrifices and I wouldn't change it for anything.  They grow up so fast. 

Uh, it's why I joined Club Silver. The twins are getting more active and since they come first the detailing and fishing will be done less. Speaking of my twins today is their seventh birthday. Happy Birthday Caitlyn and Abigail.

8DB5C3C0-78EB-44DD-9780-1D0B479F5F6E_zps

Same as many others...time.  Shoot, I haven't posted since December...dayummmmmmm. 

I switched my weekend detailing ritual up with spending more time with my boys, and it feels amazing.  I still wipe my girl down every now and then, and do some light touch ups on the DD's. 

We are moving, so once I get settled in...maybe I'll get the itch again. 

Same as many others...time.  Shoot, I haven't posted since December...dayummmmmmm. 

I switched my weekend detailing ritual up with spending more time with my boys, and it feels amazing.  I still wipe my girl down every now and then, and do some light touch ups on the DD's. 

We are moving, so once I get settled in...maybe I'll get the itch again. 

Right there with you Dave.  Between the 4 yr old boy, the 1 yr old girl and a serious addition to bass fishing at the moment, my detailing consist of a stop by the coin op for a powerwash, a rinseless wash when I get home, and dress the rubber/plastics.  Still looks better than 99% of the cars on the road and all my free time is devoted to watching these kids grow and ripping some lips!

Im cleaning and washing box trucks tractors and trailers for 40+ hours a week. So when it comes to my own i really dont even bother it as much as i used to. On my off days i may bring out the 2 buckets and H2OG&G but the Porter Cable has been boxed all summer.

No. Though I JUST started. Thinking of trading a friend to paint a few rooms in my house and I'll wash / polish / seal her car. I hate painting and I don't think she's ever washed her car by hand. I'll drag her husband into helping me with it. He's been impressed with my car since I got into the Adams stuff.

Well, maybe somewhat, sometimes... But it stems from frustration of not having the ideal set-up to make it a fully enjoyable process.

Example- I have a single car driveway. There's a strip of grass separating mine and my neighbors driveways. Then I have grass on the other side. These are not finely groomed spots of grass... So the edge is grass-less (aka, dirt).

So this leads to two frustrating situations.

1. I can't roll around my car on my creeper seat. Even my seat with 5" wheels meant to roll over most anything. The driveway isn't wide enough for my chair to get around without getting stuck in the rutted grass areas. But I can't use a seat with small wheels as the area isn't smooth enough and I weigh 260.

2. When washing via 2-bucket... My Goodyear rubber hose always picks up dirt and debri from these areas. Then it gets on my hands. And now I've got dirt on my hands when I'm trying to clean my car.

These are the kinds of things that turn what I truly do enjoy into a PITA.

It also doesn't help that I'm inpatient and wound tight. Doh!

But if I had a nice big garage and driveway, I'd never lose interest. In a car guy... A driver first and Detailer second. I like driving and then making it shine...repeat.

I'll be moving into a new house with a big flat driveway and space to build a nice big detached garage.

I first got into detailing in 2001 when I got my red PT Cruiser. At that time I was introduced to Zaino products. While it produced good results, the process was way too labor intensive and I burned out on it and switched to easier stuff.
Next came my white MINI, I still had Zaino in my arsenal so used that for a while. On a white car it was much more forgiving so I stuck with it until that car was totaled. The replacement vehicle was a dark blue metallic MINI. I had switched to Prima products about year 2 of the white MINI, so started out with that. The blue was way less forgiving and I tended to get less excited about detailing. I discovered Adams somewhere in there and got into detailing again as I found the forums and the videos made it easier to get good results.
Now I have my current MINI, which is a flat paint in a lighter color. Way easier when on a time budget. Also, my husband got a new MINI at the same time, along with one of my best friends. Having other people to detail with makes it more fun for sure.
Annette

Edited by BoCRon

i admit i have.  my garage is a mess, and I have been swamped opening a new offroad shop. 

however, I did recently get back involved in it when the paintless dent removal place next door to me sourced out a couple cars to get some wetsanding marks and such buffed out and their guy used old pads and hologram'd the paint.  Thank goodness they did, because last week after I had taken all my polishing equipment to the shop, I got an ink pen lodged in between the lugs of my front tire and sprayed ink all down the drivers side of my truck. what a pain in the ***.