Customer Service 866.965.0400

Random Photography thread

wely324

Great shot Dan!!! It was sort of hazy here, plus the parking lot lights at work made it hard to see.

What camera settings did you use?

Thanks Mike.

f/5.6, 1.3s, ISO-800, 400mm, remote release.

I think it would have been a little sharper if I had used mirror lockup and a little higher ISO.  I will try to do better in the year 2033.

Thanks Mike.

I think it would have been a little sharper if I had used mirror lockup and a little higher ISO.  I will try to do better in the year 2033.

Remote release with mirror lockup could have helped a little, but be careful with higher iso's than 800 as the noise will show more easily in dark photos. At 1.3 seconds the exposure time isn't that long you could bump the ISO down actually. It's really just trial and error and see what works at the time. Quality of the tripod really shows in a long exposure night shot as well. 

Great shot nonetheless.

For our anniversary, we drove up to Sedona this past weekend.

Sedona%209%2027%202015%20Revised-11-XL.j

Wife's Soul still looks great, even though it was dirty and had quite a few bug remains on it.

Sedona%209%2027%202015%20Revised-14-XL.j

Where we stayed

Sedona%209%2027%202015%20Revised-15-XL.j

Just playing around with long exposure

Sedona%209%2027%202015%20Revised-21-XL.j

Another shop of where we stayed

Sedona%209%2027%202015%20Revised-23-XL.j

The golf course at night

Sedona%209%2027%202015%20Revised-28-XL.j

Sedona%209%2027%202015%20Revised-34-XL.j

Sedona%209%2027%202015%20Revised-42-XL.j

Submarine Rock

Sedona%209%2027%202015%20Revised-48-XL.j

Sedona%209%2027%202015%20Revised-55-XL.j

Sedona%209%2027%202015%20Revised-70-XL.j

I'll have to try this angle in he afternoon one day

Sedona%209%2027%202015%20Revised-73-XL.j

This is shot from behind a fence

Sedona%209%2027%202015%20Revised-77-XL.j

Thanks Mike.

I'm going to try settings like that next time I try photographing the moon. When ever I try it, the moon always comes out looking like a brite ball of light.

Remote release with mirror lockup could have helped a little, but be careful with higher iso's than 800 as the noise will show more easily in dark photos. At 1.3 seconds the exposure time isn't that long you could bump the ISO down actually. It's really just trial and error and see what works at the time. Quality of the tripod really shows in a long exposure night shot as well. 

Great shot nonetheless.

My tripod is good and sturdy, but I was using a 2x extender on my 70-200mm lens, and with a full-frame gripped body, the center of gravity was way off, so the camera was a little shaky.

I started with lower ISO with shutter at around 13s, but they were very blurry.

My camera has long-exposure noise reduction, so I don't see much noise at higher ISOs.

Yes, trial-and-error is my motto.  Digital cameras make is so much easier. 

I'm going to try settings like that next time I try photographing the moon. When ever I try it, the moon always comes out looking like a brite ball of light.

I used aperture priority, so the camera sets the shutter speed for correct exposure, with spot metering and the moon in the center of the field.

Manual focus with Live View and 10x magnification.

The moon pic in Post #5 of this thread was much sharper because the shutter was 1/125s.  But this blood moon was much, much dimmer then that full moon.

I think the biggest thing is to experiment.  Digital cameras make that easy to know what your getting right now, as opposed to burning a roll of film and crossing your fingers.  At least while learning.  Knowing all your functions and how to work your camera like the back of your hand I would think is also helpful.  I wish I had more time to play than I do.  I'm sure that once you learn it, you can look at something and know exactly how your going to take the picture.  I'm sure Landshark is at that level, and he makes taking perfect pictures look easy.

It seems a faster shutter would have been better to reduce the blur caused by the movement of the moon. After doing some research it seems shutter speeds less than 1/100th are not ideal for photographing the moon. 

I was just there about a month ago. Flew in there to help my son move out of Virginia. He lived in the Bridgewater area, he's now back in Oklahoma!!

It's a beautiful part of the country!  I actually got recruited to play football at Bridgewater College there.