Customer Service 866.965.0400

Random Photography thread

wely324

Spent this past Saturday driving from home in Michigan to Atlantic Beach, NC for the week.

Took this shot of the sunset over the Atlantic Ocean from the beach last evening.

Spent the majority of the day today in Beaufort, NC, the third oldest city in the state, and home to some very old houses dating back to the late 1700's, and a lot of other cool things to do and see.

post-12347-0-26790400-1445468747_thumb.jpg

Spent this past Saturday driving from home in Michigan to Atlantic Beach, NC for the week.

Took this shot of the sunset over the Atlantic Ocean from the beach last evening.

Spent the majority of the day today in Beaufort, NC, the third oldest city in the state, and home to some very old houses dating back to the late 1700's, and a lot of other cool things to do and see.

attachicon.gifIMG_0278.jpg

Not trying to be ignorant.  But trying to figure out how that works????  Picture looks great, btw.  

Edited by LFairbanks

Not trying to be ignorant.  But trying to figure out how that works????  Picture looks great, btw.  

Chris, I would think the same thing, but many of the chain islands off the coast of North Carolina run East to West, based on the what coast line of the state you are on.  Where Atlantic Beach is, you face south, so you see Sunrise and Sunset over the water.  I experience the same thing each year in Emerald Isle, NC, which is on the same chain of land off the coast.  See the ping on the map below.  It's definitely a unique experience.

post-5236-0-38459400-1445537930_thumb.jpg

Edited by chas

Chas,

Thanks for explaining that fact!

Today I went out on a boat trip from Beaufort, and learned that when you leave the harbors, or channels to the ocean, you are going due east, and one would think that to go north, you would need to turn to the left, but here, turning to the left has you heading south, until you would go around the islands, and then you would be heading north.

Must be something about how the islands, and waterways are placed or located in relation to the coast of the mainland? 

Actually got to see some bottle nose dolphins swimming in the ocean, and a whale as well too, not too far from the boat.

Chris, I would think the same thing, but many of the chain islands off the coast of North Carolina run East to West, based on the what coast line of the state you are on.  Where Atlantic Beach is, you face south, so you see Sunrise and Sunset over the water.  I experience the same thing each year in Emerald Isle, NC, which is on the same chain of land off the coast.  See the ping on the map below.  It's definitely a unique experience.

Thanks for the explanation.  I can see where the sunsets wouldn't work too well in the summer months.  The sun is too far north and high on the horizon.  In the fall the sun is working it's way south and setting lower on the horizon, giving the perception of setting over the ocean, although a sliver.  Interesting to see though.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful day here today so the wife and I headed out on a day trip.

Took a few pics.

First stop:  Flight 93 National Memorial

post-15-0-53949600-1446612760_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-46212200-1446612818_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-00782400-1446612863_thumb.jpg

The mown green grass represents the final flight path of the jet, the rock is where it ended.

post-15-0-72051400-1446613127_thumb.jpg

Stopped along Lincoln Highway to check out the buffalo

post-15-0-13440200-1446612937_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-57424300-1446612972_thumb.jpg

On down the road to beautiful Shawnee State Park

post-15-0-66392200-1446613020_thumb.jpg

And a mandatory car pic

post-15-0-53333700-1446613066_thumb.jpg

It was a good day.

This makes me want to go back to Yellowstone again. One of my favorite places in the United States.

I wish I didn't leave.   I drove down to Moab after Yellowstone to see Arches and Canyon lands.  Holy crap the city was PACKED.   I ended up coming home early, but I'd love to go back to yellowstone for another week or so.

Yesterday playing in the ocean in Hawaii. Taken with my iPhone 6s.

718FFC26-DC55-41B5-8312-7BCA26ED5225_zps

Really like this shot! Keep in mind for the future when there is a reflection/shadow try to keep the entirety of the reflection in the frame to provide symmetry to the photo composition. Generally the line of symmetry should be in the middle, but not always. A tip for the future, and still a great capture of your son.