Customer Service 866.965.0400

What is this black residue?

chops1sc

Question

16 answers to this question

The funny thing is it also didn't start doing it until I added some spray. I thought it was just dirty. The polish was staying wet in the pad so I only added a little spray. I'll try cleaning it and see if that helps. I'm thinking it's the dye from the MF.

Kinda off topic but to the OP: What are your thoughts on the M105, I tried their ultimate compound but didn't have very good results.

It has worked very well, although I do believe my clear coat is very hard because I am still finding a few micro scratches. But for a DD it has made my orange-peeled paint look pretty good. I am following the M105 with M205. I will then apply Adams LPS and then BG.

PS: 200th post! :D

Edited by chops1sc

Yea, the "M" brand 105 has more cut than any of Adam's Polishes, however his Paint Correcting Polish would be fine to follow the 105 with. The 105 can be a bit too aggressive in the hands of a novice, leading to potential problems. I don't believe it has the diminishing abrasives Adam has incorporated with his.

^Dave is right, M105 and other M brand polishes are SMAT which the abrasives do not break down, and are not as necessarily user friendly as you have to check your work to be sure you don't over polish the surface, when the defects are gone you have to stop.

DAT polishes like Adams, Menz, and a few others, break down.  I prefer DAT polishes personally.

M105 is a fairly aggressive compound especially with microfiber. If you are getting the large defects out than you are getting the results intended. Any "micro scratches" left are going to be needed to followed up with a finishing polish and a finer foam pad.

So basically you'll need a less aggressive step to finish and remove haze. Pm me with what's on your shelf and what pads you have and I'll give you a recommendation