Customer Service 866.965.0400

H20 G&G Streaks and Sputter Marks

ouhockeyplayer

Question

I tried H2O Gaurd and Gloss for the first time this weekend on my Dark Grey Metallic WRX, and I was very impressed with the shine that was left when I was done.  However, fast forward a couple of days, and I am now noticing streaking and dots of the product on the car in low light situations.  When the car is in direct sun you can not see the issue areas.  I was having difficulty with the sprayer not putting out a mist of the product, so I am assuming this is one of the main culprits, and possibly using too much product.  Any ideas on how to remove the streaks?  Detail spray does not seem to be any help, so I am hoping that maybe doing a quick rinse less wash of the panels well help since the product is water activated.     

9 answers to this question

My first reaction is that it's probably too much product. I know many people do 2-3 sprays per section - e.g. per door - but I'll do as little as 1 spray vertically up the center of the door which I can then spread left/right, especially if it's not been long since last application.

The other suggestion I'll make is that you take a little more time / more passes to spread it over the work surface, assuming your towel is nice and wet, before buffing with the dry towel. In the wet application it might be a panel or 2 before the towel stops absorbing the bulk of the water, so you could try misting the towel initially so you don't soak the water away and end up with prematurely dry product.

If I notice it not going well - too dry or I can see streaks - I'll just run the wet applying towel back over the area. No harm in that... I don't think.

Hi Brian, Adam made a great post about most of the issues you're experiencing with HGG. I love the product, but it can be a bit tricky to get perfect sometimes, especially if you're working in the hot sun.  Here is the link to his post describing how to clean out the sprayers to get a better mist of the product:

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/29020-hgg-not-for-me/?p=458633

When you applied the product, did you apply and remove it from one panel at a time? When I'm applying it, I will only give one or two full sprays onto an entire door for example, or one spray for a side window. Then I will spread it thoroughly with a fully damp (but not dripping wet with water) microfiber towel, allow it to sit for maybe 10-30 seconds to haze up, and then remove it with a dry microfiber towel. I've used our Single Soft, Double Soft, and Borderless Gray microfiber towels all with great results.

For removing the streaks, if DS is not working, I would recommend trying Waterless Wash like Ricky Bobby mentions or even Brilliant Glaze to remove them.

Great additional tips Dan, I also would like to mention that the more time you spend with the wet application part, the less that should remain once you go to buff any residues.

Take your primed and wet towel and work the product into the panel using a cross hatch pattern so you are going over it twice and at all angles (and also absorbing most of the water on the surface), then when you go back with your dry buffing towel you'll have minimal haze and moisture to buff streak free.  In my experience you probably will need to switch your buffing towel halfway through the car - this is the case with most sealant products as it can "clog up" the buffing towels and then you are working against yourself.

I think a lot of people rush the application part and spray the panel, then wipe it in real quick in one direction, and go to buff it before its fully worked into the surface.  Work it in like the sealant that it is and when almost nothing is left, wipe down any leftovers.  Or alternatively you can help yourself by giving a mist of DS or WW on the surface before buffing, so you can get any streaks taken care of at the same time you do a final wipe.

I've found temperature to play a big part in any Water Activated Sealant (WAS) when it comes to streaking. 

I have used 4 different WAS and all of them experienced the same problem in 2 situations. If the panel is warm but the air is cool OR if the air is warm and the panel is cool. They all left a hazy streak in the finish. 

It is correctable by a little elbow grease, soft towel, DS or Rinseless Mixture.

I'm sure, just like any other sealant, that it needs time to cure at different temps.

Thanks everyone.  Most likely this was a case of too much product per panel.  I was working too quickly to hit each panel before the vehicle water spotted.  1st timer mistakes I guess.  Will definitely need to try the sprayer tips as Dan recommended.   I'll do a test tonight with rinse less washing the hood down (since I have drove the car to and from work the past couple days) and then hit it with some brillant glaze to see if the streaks disappear.  

I'm sure, just like any other sealant, that it needs time to cure at different temps.

This statement is 100% accurate.  In different air/panel temps it may need a couple mins to cure, or apply to the whole car first, then go back to the start and remove.  Sealants do have some cure time, its not like a paste wax thats going to dry rock hard so there shouldn't be a huge rush to remove it.

Thanks everyone.  Most likely this was a case of too much product per panel.  I was working too quickly to hit each panel before the vehicle water spotted.  1st timer mistakes I guess.  Will definitely need to try the sprayer tips as Dan recommended.   I'll do a test tonight with rinse less washing the hood down (since I have drove the car to and from work the past couple days) and then hit it with some brillant glaze to see if the streaks disappear.  

Don't worry about moving quick.  You can always go back and re-wet a panel since that's the whole point of HGG.

Thanks for the tips everyone.  Last night I did a rinse less wash followed by a coat of brilliant glaze and the streaks are now gone.  I have an incredible shine now with the glaze sitting on top of the H2O Gaurd and Gloss.  Definitely looking forward to getting my technique down for future applications of this product.  It sure can be a time saver over traditional hand waxing/sealing.