Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Truck First Wash and Clay

BluedogGMC

Question

Well it was finally a fairly nice morning to get out and wash my new truck (Black) that I have had for about 4 weeks now. Between being busy and rain I have not had the chance to get anything done to it so this morning I had enough time to at least get her washed and while I was at it I did a quick clay job. Man like Adam says in his one video "That thing was rougher then a night in jail"  but might was like a week in jail. Could not believe how bad it was.My guess would be over spray and maybe rail dust that was on that truck since it is new from the dealer. So here is all that I got done with the time that I had.

Used foam gun to get things started to loosen up the grime.

Complete two bucket wash.

Clayed while still wet along with Detail Spray.

Hosed down and then did the H2O GG routine. ( Should I have re-washed after claying?)
H2O GG does seem to give it a pretty good shine.

Truck has not been sealed, waxed or anything as far as I know before. (picked up brand new from dealer)

Do you think the next chance I get I should do a strip wash and use Liquid Paint Sealant on it and then a coat of wax?? Would like to do a full polish but that might have to wait until spring.

This is my Daily Driver and I do not have a garage.

post-9285-0-92937200-1448132476_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

No real need to re-wash after claying unless you want to. To me, it's just an extra step that as long as you removed the majority of the Detail Spray/Clay Bar residue, you're fine to apply HGG afterward by hosing the vehicle down like you did.

I don't think it's necessary to do a strip wash and apply the Liquid Paint Sealant right away either. The HGG itself is an acrylic based sealant, and it should give you a good 2-3 months of longevity. By all means you could apply a coat of wax over it if you prefer, for even more depth, shine, and protection, but I would personally hold off on doing a strip wash to apply the LPS. Others may have a differing opinion to mine though :)

The truck looks great!

If you can stay on top of it with the H2O G&G, you're probably fine to forgo the strip wash and LPS until you do your full detail. I've been keeping my wife's highlander topped off with H2O G&G until I can get it polished. I didn't want to put LPS on something I knew I'd be polishing in 6 months. 

I agree, great job on the truck. I would keep up thru the winter as you can (a little more often isnt a bad thing to add a layer) 

Come spring I would plan the day to do it and go whole hog at it. I would also plan to do the 1:1 deep wheel cleaner spray down for rail dust as well. It was easy to find on my white truck after the clay but it was EVERYWHERE. Letting the deep wheel cleaner work was great, made it really easy to work with. 

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did have time just before dark to throw a coat of Buttery on it. I will have to check it out good tomorrow as it was starting to get dark as I finished getting the residue off. My last truck (also black GMC) held up nice with Adams Polishes products and I plan on keeping this one the same if not even better. It's tough without a garage so I am glad that Adams came out with the newer Liquid Paint Sealant and the H2O GG. Quicker and easier is a great thing.

This picture shows my three year old truck (bottom) and the new one when i picked it up four weeks ago.

post-9285-0-39026400-1448147319_thumb.jpg