Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Vacuum Suggestions

Kingsford

Question

19 answers to this question

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Stor-N-Go-5-Gal-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-WD5500/100377372

I do not have this model but have 2 other ridgid shop vacs and really like them. $100 list price gives you $50 more to get hose extensions or attachments.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Premium-Car-Cleaning-Kit-VT2534/100638355

I have the above hose kit for my vacs and love it for car cleaning.

Jason - in my experience lately the Shop-Vac brand (linked on Global) is lesser quality plastic and I believe Chinese made in comparison to the Ridgid's that are made in Mexico - My Ridgid is used daily in my home for the past 4 years (we have 2 house bunnies so cleaning up litter, hay, etc daily in the room where they are) and runs without a peep, all I do is empty it every couple months and blow off the filter.

Get the Wall mount vac from Home Depot that Eric linked above, and get the pro hose auto kit - you'll be more than happy with the Ridgid products, if you want the wall mount that is a perfect vac for you.

Is there anything wrong with your metro other than the rust in the canister? I understand being frustrated by the rust but I think I would clean it up a little and put some POR-15 on it as long as that is the only issue.

The moisture that caused it to rust also was in the motor. There is a noticeable loss in suction. It's still working for the moment but I don't want to be caught off guard thinking it's going to last forever.

Also I tried cleaning it up and if you've never seen this vacuum in person it's 3 foot long, the motor is at one end and the opposite end opens. There is no removing the motor. I tried Metro's suggestion of using Rustolium on it to cover the rust and it just made a huge mess all over my hand and dripping down the inside of the vacuum. After you put your arm all the way inside the vacuum with a rattle can, it only leaves you about 2 inches of spray room. Like I said, it just made a huge mess (like I thought it would).

Edited by Kingsford

I'm interested in this too. I'm using a big Craftsman wet/dry vac. It's big and clumsy to roll around. I do most of my interior vacuming with the car parked in the driveway so I have enough room to open the doors wide open. I like the looks of these wall mounted vacs, just concerned there will not be a long enough hose.

What about the handhelds? Do those hold up well? With a hose/extensions to get in all of the crevices (under, around the seats)?

Jason - in my experience lately the Shop-Vac brand (linked on Global) is lesser quality plastic and I believe Chinese made in comparison to the Ridgid's that are made in Mexico - My Ridgid is used daily in my home for the past 4 years (we have 2 house bunnies so cleaning up litter, hay, etc daily in the room where they are) and runs without a peep, all I do is empty it every couple months and blow off the filter.

Get the Wall mount vac from Home Depot that Eric linked above, and get the pro hose auto kit - you'll be more than happy with the Ridgid products, if you want the wall mount that is a perfect vac for you.

I second your good experience with Ridgid.  in fact I have many ridgid tools which are perfect combination of quality and price for the DIY home owner.  I have the Ridgid vac with the detachable leaf blower.  that option works great to use to blow off my engine and wheels/wells after a wash.

The pro hose auto kit is great.  Smaller more flexible durable hose and attachments make getting into the small areas of the vehicle much easier.  I think the Ridgid offers great value for the money.

^Do you have the WD6080 with the detachable 6 hp leaf blower?  I thought that was an extremely cost effective alternative to the MB since you can put the normal 7' hose on it -

Another plus with the Ridgid vacs is parts, accessories, filters, etc, easily found at your local HD

I picked up a pretty sweet Dyson handheld that has been working super well!  The suction is crazy!

This is a great idea. I'm thinking about picking one up as well.  I have an integrated house vac, but the machine part is in the garage and is deafening when using.  The Dyson "Trigger"  is under $200 right now as well with Christmas deals. I tested one a while ago and it is fairly quiet as well.  Being extremely portable is another bonus. 

^Do you have the WD6080 with the detachable 6 hp leaf blower?  I thought that was an extremely cost effective alternative to the MB since you can put the normal 7' hose on it -

Another plus with the Ridgid vacs is parts, accessories, filters, etc, easily found at your local HD

I have the WD 1680 - 16gal.  if I was just going to use it for cars I would have gotten the WD4080- 4gal vac because it has a smaller size but same 6hp blower motor.

I absolutely love the blower attachment.  blow off the engine and wheels.  attach a hose and small crevice tool to blow out the mirrors and door jambs.  works great.  and because the blower detaches from the vac canister, there is much less chance of sucking dirt into the blower and shooting onto your paint.

^I saw the 1680 - phenomenal value because it includes the $30 gutter cleaning kit which I ordered direct from Ridgid with my vac, and I use it 2-3 times a year to clean my gutters with no ladder and within an hour each time!

As long as you are using a dedicated hose for blowing and a dedicated one for vaccuming I see no problem using the blower to blow off the engine and wheels, etc, it has a filter on the blower itself (foam) which can be cleaned out too, so you definitely arent blowing dirt on paint.

I mounted the Ridgid in my garage in a convenient location. I have a big Craftsman wet/dry vac with a big container, but it's hard to move around and the hose is short. This new one is portable and a very long hose -- some 15 or 16 feet. It came in very handy the past week when I remodeled my utility room and I didn't even have to take it off the wall.

It is less powerful than my big Craftsman, so I'm a little disappointed in that, but for vacuuming cars I think it will come in handy. The long hose is especially useful.

I bought the WD5500 today at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Stor-N-Go-5-Gal-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-WD5500/100377372

It was on sale for $89 and they have 1 left in the store, so I didn't have to wait for shipping. I'm excited to try out. I have to find a suitable place to mount in my garage first.

wow, great deal. I'll have to consider this!