Customer Service 866.965.0400

Foam block hack for alternative tire dressing applicator

kesmit

Question

While I love almost all of the tools from Adam's, I like to use a tire dressing applicator idea I got from another site.  This person uses a turtle-back grout sponge cut in half.  The shape of the sponge fits into your hand perfectly and allows you to get into tight areas better than any other applicator I have tried (the tire dressing applicator from Adam's is my second choice).

The grout sponge isn't perfect though.  It generally only works well if you get it damp first, and then after it dries, it hardens and has to be wet down again to use it.  It also soaks up a lot of product.  I had a couple of Adam's foam blocks and realized that it was almost the same size as the 1/2 grout sponge, plus it didn't have any of the problems that the grout sponge has.  So I figured I'd hack it (literally) into the same shape as the grout sponge.  Now I have the best of both worlds!

Here is the full grout sponge.

post-13719-0-46445400-1452725103_thumb.jpg

This is what the applicator looks like when you cut the sponge in half.

post-13719-0-00924300-1452725105_thumb.jpg

Using an electric knife, I was able to carve the same shape from the Adam's foam block.  

post-13719-0-48231700-1452725106_thumb.jpg

Here is the final product compared to my previous applicator.

post-13719-0-94015800-1452725107_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

I can't function without the Hex Grip Tire Applicator. 

When the company stopped producing them for a short period I was able to snag a case of 12 before they were sold out. Don't know what I'd do without them. I've tried others but I always come back to the Hex Grip.

I love the Hex Grip Applicator for tires. As for the foam block I had two of the foam 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" foam strip made for around air conditioners (from Lowes) sitting in the basement so I just cut two pieces off of it to use with the SVRT and when they start to wear out I just cut off another piece.

Hex grip all the way. However, I know the person the OP is talking about. You use the flat part of the sponge and the sharp edge allows precise application where the tire meets the rim. I love the idea, but again, the hex grip works very well. I use my foam block for plastic trim/engine panels.

Awesome way to make it your own!

So which part do you use on the tires? The curved part? I don't really see the advantage. The concave curve of the half moon tire sponge fits the tire shape better.

Sorry, I should have included some action shots.

post-13719-0-08547500-1452740008_thumb.jpg

post-13719-0-12979500-1452740016_thumb.jpg

This is the part where this type of sponge really shines.  Getting that small lip around the rim on wide tires.

post-13719-0-21710700-1452740017_thumb.jpg

I may be in the minority here, but I'm a Super Block sponge guy all the way - cheap and effective.  I use it at its regular shape on all sizes of tires.

Actually, I love the Hex Grip Tire Applicator for using with Liquid Paint Sealant, the foam on the face is the same super fine foam as the sealant hex grips.

I can't function without the Hex Grip Tire Applicator. 

When the company stopped producing them for a short period I was able to snag a case of 12 before they were sold out. Don't know what I'd do without them. I've tried others but I always come back to the Hex Grip.

X2 on the Hex Grip. For other application of Super VRT, I have stopped by Hobby Lobby and will get a chunk of the foam you use for replacing on furniture. Come in different thickness and cheap. I just cut off what size I need, and when used up just cut a new one.

I'm not saying that the hex grip applicator is bad by any stretch of the imagination.  It's still better than any of the other applicators I've tried.  The turtle-back shape just feels a bit more natural to me, and I can get into the groove around the rim better.  Having your fingers near the tip just gives you a bit more control.  

As with any tool, some just feel more natural to people than others.  But if you haven't tried the turtle-back shape, you might be surprised after you try it.