Customer Service 866.965.0400

Used Car Advice

PacificNWBuckeye

Well it looks like the company I work for is doing away with our company cars, so by the end of June i will need to pick up a car to drive. I am looking a something used that I can buy outright. I've been thinking just get another Crown Victoria, but were having some electrical issues with our current one. So I've always liked the Mini Cooper S and I've seen 2008's in my price range ($8000ish), just wondering if anyone here has one and if there are known issues once the miles start piling up. Maybe you know of a good forum not unlike the one we are on now with info on them. 

Before you figure out what car to go with you a couple things to consider:

Are you getting a stipend/reimbursement in place of the company car?

Did the company car come with personal use?

What will you primarily be using this car for?

How long is your commute? or how many miles do you plan to put on this vehicle?

Is fuel economy important to you?  Is that going to be paid for or reimbursed by your company?

Just some thoughts...sometimes these answers can help guide you to a specific type of vehicle or a new possibility!

Thanks for the replys, had no idea how bad the Minis were. I checked into the Consumer reports complaints sections and it's crazy. Even with the issues we have had recently the Vic is high on my list. I just don't know if I can bring myself to buy a Honda or Toyota. Volkswagen is a consideration, a 2010 and up Taurus would be great. I still have time, before I need to have it or have the rest of the cash to buy whatever it will be.

Look into a Chevy Cruze or Malibu in your price range, both great cars and from what we see at the dealership most are having a fair amount of luck with them. Keep in mind when shopping for a car not only the cost but the maintenance costs.  

I agree on the mini, and also consider the VW in that realm of where is your closest dealer. My friend has owned a couple and when he moved he hated the 3 hr trip to get anything done to it. 

Any car you want to look at will have its share of historical problems, either engine, electrical, suspension, or whatever so in that aspect its more up to what you are wanting to use. 

I also think it is certainly worth a sit down and do the list of what you are using the car for, and be honest not totally out there with what you do with it and might do in the next few years. That should help you figure out a direction a little better. 

I found this where you can check reliability of makes and models of different vehicles.  You may want to cross reference it with other data from other places to get an accurate idea of dependability.  Kinda like watching just Fox News, or CNN.  I don't always look at one source of information for anything and count on it being the whole truth.  

If your looking for a midsize car with good dependability, I personally would consider the Toyota Camry.  

I will say when I worked at a dealership we had a few minis in that were low miles (50-70k) miles that needed motors. I've never heard great things about them from some of the top techs at the shop I worked at either. I would also recommend the cruze, especially the diesel cruze. If your looking into imports I would recommend honda.

Honestly, if your able to buy the Crown Vic I'd keep it. You know the issues and know everything about that car. If both cars were forsale, but you knew everything about the Crown Vic and nothing about the other car, you would pic the CV because you already know everything about it. Just my .09 cents(adjusted for inflation)