Customer Service 866.965.0400

FedEx is Strange

Rich

Maybe track it next time and ask your local post office why it's been sitting at the post office for three days.

I always track my packages.  That's how I know that there is a 3 day, sometimes 4, increase in actual shipping duration when using SmartPost to my house.  It's a logistics issue because it always sits in Lenexa, KS for 2 days then goes the wrong direction to a distribution center that is further away.  FedEx Ground takes a different, more efficient route when coming my way.  There's where the extra time comes in, in my case anyways.  The logistics behind it depends a lot on your location so where it's one extra day for you, that's not necessarily a nationwide standard. 

Edited by James__

Mine has been sitting in Blackwater, MO since Saturday. When I place an order on Thursday it's always here by Tuesday. It goes from Henderson, CO to Blackwater, MO then Grove City, OH then Sewickley, PA then on a truck for delivery.  The Delivery day has changed 3 times now lol. Suppose to be here tomorrow so we will see. 

Edited by Wild2003ss

:lolsmack:

Not gettng any closer!  Now the route is from Louisville, Co to Baltimore (keep in mind I'm not far from Pittsburgh Pa) then went back west to Grove City Ohio (so it's gone past me twice) and now it's showing it's 100 miles north of me in Clinton Pa.   :help:

:lolsmack:  :lolsmack:

ol that reminds me of a friends laptop, they were tracking it and went outside to watch the plane fly over their house lol. 

they were at work for the second flight.....

but they saw the third!! 

Laptop came from less than 300 miles away and probably spent more time in the air than on the ground. 

I shipped something from Houston to Dallas last week. It left my office Monday afternoon and flew to Memphis Monday night where it sat Tuesday before flying to Dallas Tuesday night where it was sorted for delivery on Wednesday.

The person I sent this too shipped something ground to me a few months ago.... He shipped it on a Tuesday morning, and I had it Wednesday.

I have had similar instances where something has shipped fast over the weekend.  Provided that the package was processed on Friday before COB, it very well could have made it there even by ground.  No processing will happen during the weekend but the packages don't all just stop in their tracks once the weekend comes.  If it was already processed and being sent before the weekend, the package would have continued to ship through the weekend allowing it to arrive at its destination on Monday.

Not sure where your getting your information.  Nothing is moved and nothing is sorted on the weekends.  The only exception to a load moving on the weekend is if it is on a rail car making its way across the country.  And no UPS doesn't just build a load in Pennsylvania and drive it directly to Montana over the weekend.  Ground no less.  It would more than likely go thru CACH, and then be put on a rail car.  

I personally have seen tracking information where it shows a package appearing to come out of a state back east, only to show a physical scan in California, the next day, ground.   That is something that the shipper is doing, not the shipping company.   

FedEx can be quick when they receive and deliver the package. But if they have to hand it off to USPS... Then they may as well have given a monkey a marker and a map and followed his suggested route...

FedEx delivers the smartpost packages directly to your local post office where your mail is delivered out of.  I doubt the post office is loading packages in a trailer to drive them around.  And if you track a package it will clearly show that it was handed off to the local post office in the tracking information.  And then it will be delivered by the post office the following day.   I see it every day. 

I always track my packages.  That's how I know that there is a 3 day, sometimes 4, increase in actual shipping duration when using SmartPost to my house.  It's a logistics issue because it always sits in Lenexa, KS for 2 days then goes the wrong direction to a distribution center that is further away.  FedEx Ground takes a different, more efficient route when coming my way.  There's where the extra time comes in, in my case anyways.  The logistics behind it depends a lot on your location so where it's one extra day for you, that's not necessarily a nationwide standard. 

Again, I doubt the post office is driving packages around after they have been delivered to your local post office.  I'm sure FedEx knows where the local post offices are and what zip codes they service.  I know UPS does.  Again in your tracking information it will show when your package was passed to your local post office for final delivery.   

BTW, I have worked for the competition more than half my life.  So I have a pretty good idea on how the system works.

Edited by LFairbanks

Not sure where your getting your information. Nothing is moved and nothing is sorted on the weekends. The only exception to a load moving on the weekend is if it is on a rail car making its way across the country. And no UPS doesn't just build a load in Pennsylvania and drive it directly to Montana over the weekend. Ground no less. It would more than likely go thru CACH, and then be put on a rail car.

I personally have seen tracking information where it shows a package appearing to come out of a state back east, only to show a physical scan in California, the next day, ground. That is something that the shipper is doing, not the shipping company.

FedEx delivers the smartpost packages directly to your local post office where your mail is delivered out of. I doubt the post office is loading packages in a trailer to drive them around. And if you track a package it will clearly show that it was handed off to the local post office in the tracking information. And then it will be delivered by the post office the following day. I see it every day.

Again, I doubt the post office is driving packages around after they have been delivered to your local post office. I'm sure FedEx knows where the local post offices are and what zip codes they service. I know UPS does. Again in your tracking information it will show when your package was passed to your local post office for final delivery.

BTW, I have worked for the competition more than half my life. So I have a pretty good idea on how the system works.

Listen, I didn't come here to have an argument with you regarding this issue. I am getting my information from both a guy I live with who is a regional FedEx driver and another good friend of mine who now drives long distance for FedEx. The trucks don't stop Friday at 5p and wait til Monday morning to run again. Processing does not take place but movement of already processed packages does.

I never meant that a load was built specifically in PA to take directly to MT, only that it was feasible that the package made it there by Monday. What I said was taken to an extreme that I never intended it to be interpreted as.  The package may have taken a non-direct route.

And I don't think you understand what I meant regarding the post office. Once it reaches the post office here in my hometown, it goes nowhere but to my doorstep. What I said was that FedEx ships via a different route when delivering to my location via SmartPost than when shipping via FedEx Ground. The logistics behind it is beyond me but it is a simple fact. Rather than coming through AZ, it comes in through KS and sits a couple days everytime. I never said that the post office is moving the package, FedEx does all that moving north of me before the package ever reaches the post office.

In any case, this is the last I'll say on the subject as an argument over the Internet serves no purpose and it has become obvious neither of us is going to change the other's mind. So I'll leave it at you being correct with one additional day at your location and me being correct at 3 additional days at mine because it is a logistics issue, not a common sense one.

Edited by James__

I got a package today from PA (I'm in MT) and I ordered it Friday afternoon.... But it was on UPS...what can brown do for you!?

You must have had it sent next day air.  No way that it was sent ground from Pennsylvania to Montana with a transit time of the weekend.  Volume at UPS isn't processed on the weekends.  Time in transit is based off of business days.

I have seen stuff sent over night from the Western US to France on a Friday and arrive on Monday however.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-02-09 at 6.09.44 AM.png

I have had similar instances where something has shipped fast over the weekend.  Provided that the package was processed on Friday before COB, it very well could have made it there even by ground.  No processing will happen during the weekend but the packages don't all just stop in their tracks once the weekend comes.  If it was already processed and being sent before the weekend, the package would have continued to ship through the weekend allowing it to arrive at its destination on Monday.

Listen, I didn't come here to have an argument with you regarding this issue. I am getting my information from both a guy I live with who is a regional FedEx driver and another good friend of mine who now drives long distance for FedEx. The trucks don't stop Friday at 5p and wait til Monday morning to run again. Processing does not take place but movement of already processed packages does.

I never meant that a load was built specifically in PA to take directly to MT, only that it was feasible that the package made it there by Monday. What I said was taken to an extreme that I never intended it to be interpreted as.

The logistics of moving as many packages as FedEx, UPS and USPS does on a daily basis is mind boggling. I know at our office building the FedEx guy will get off the elevator deliver to the people down the hall, get back on the elevator, deliver to other floors, then reappear about 45 minutes later on our floor with our packages. Scale that up to semi trucks/airplanes and it sometimes is a wonder we get our packages as soon as we do. I'm probably one of the few here old enough to remember ordering stuff by writing a check, dropping it in the mail, then waiting 4-6 weeks to get a package. But I agree that sometimes things are delayed by more than we would like.

I would like to apologize to you all for misleading my PA to MT comment. I thought I put in my post that it was next day saver shipping (basicly red at ground price). I have been very busy and not stayed up on this thread and my comment (incorrect at that) has boiled everyone over so I am sorry.

Rich, feel free to jack one of my threads some time! ;)

The logistics of moving as many packages as FedEx, UPS and USPS does on a daily basis is mind boggling. I know at our office building the FedEx guy will get off the elevator deliver to the people down the hall, get back on the elevator, deliver to other floors, then reappear about 45 minutes later on our floor with our packages. Scale that up to semi trucks/airplanes and it sometimes is a wonder we get our packages as soon as we do. I'm probably one of the few here old enough to remember ordering stuff by writing a check, dropping it in the mail, then waiting 4-6 weeks to get a package. But I agree that sometimes things are delayed by more than we would like.

To the outsider what he is doing seems strange.  He however is delivering all his 10:30 commit packages and then returning with other that are guaranteed later in the day.  At times there isn't enough time on the clock.  The most I have done by 10:30 was 42 stops.  And 265 in a day by myself.  And 402 at Christmas with a helper.

I would like to apologize to you all for misleading my PA to MT comment. I thought I put in my post that it was next day saver shipping (basicly red at ground price). I have been very busy and not stayed up on this thread and my comment (incorrect at that) has boiled everyone over so I am sorry.

Rich, feel free to jack one of my threads some time! ;)

No worries.  Sounds like you got a deal if got a next day saver at ground price.  

Interesting documentary below if you have never been inside a FedEx or UPS facility.  

Edited by LFairbanks