Customer Service 866.965.0400

Trim Problem

jbaildon

Question

16 answers to this question

It is real chrome and it is on a 2010 Infiniti FX50. The spots are completely flat as compared to the rest of the trim. There appears to be no pitting or raised portions. It honestly looks like a stain. I have tried wheel cleaner, chrome and metal polish, even tried the old tin foil trick. Nothing is even making it slightly better.

It appears to me that whatever coating they used before chrome plating (copper, nickle, etc) has went bad and there is nothing you can do to rectify it without replacement.

I have seen discoloration in the base coating several times. I dont have a clue what it is but I have seen dark spots form under chrome that could could not even buff out.

Like everyone has said, try revive. People look at it differently because it is a hand polish but don't just push it to the side, is the best hand polish I have ever seen and always gives me great results whenever I use it. Let us know further of how you plan to approach it.

It did not turn black. Still think I should try a polish with pad?

Absolutely try Revive Polish...by hand.

The towel not turning black indicates the "chrome" is not really chrome, or it has a clear coat over it. Either way, treating it as if it is paint is very likely the solution and seriously unlikely to cause any problems if it does not work. 

Chrome is hard stuff, and won't always turn your towel black when polishing.

It's a bit tough to tell from the pic, but the top layer of chrome may be gone. What you're seeing is the underlying layer; copper, nickel, whatever. If the chrome is actually gone, no amount of polishing will bring it back.

Edited by BRZN