Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wash wedge feedback please

Kickerz71

Question

This is what I do. FWIW 

I think that's the way I'm going to go from now on. Its just a lot easier to clean the wash wedge out than it is the wash pad. Should cut down my wash time a little bit too.

Funny, this is my first post...  I drank the koolaide and invested over $300 in Adam's products last fall.  Of the 28 or so items that I've purchased, I'm stoked on everything except for the blue clay bar and the the red wash wedge.

After about five washes, I think I'm going to replace it with something else.  With so many experienced detailers on this forum raving about how they love the wedge, it's sort of hard for me to admit that I don't like it.  Sort of have the feeling, "who am I to go against the grain?"

I went with someone's recommendation that they liked to use the wedge above the belt line of the car, and the wash pad below it.  

I don't find that the wedge suds up any more than the regular wash pad.  In fact, I think I get more suds out of the wash pad.  I like how the wash pad is more intimate, I can feel what's going on better.  And I like how it's easier to see the dirt and specs in the white wash pad.  (I don't find it to be too much of a hassle to clean up.)  Also, I like that I can do a few swipes and then flip the wash pad over for a fresh surface.  Other than having a handle (which I turned out not to like as much because you can't feel what's going on), I really don't get why people love the wedge so much.  Someone mentioned that they heard the wedge scratches the paint...  I haven't seen that happen to my car (a 2106 MINI Cooper that's only seen Adam's products.) 

A few notes about how I've been using it.  I put about an ounce of soap in a foam gun (the cheaper Gilmour one) and foam down the car pretty well.  Then I use the two bucket wash method with grit guards.  I put an ounce or two of shampoo on the wash pad and throw it in the empty soap bucket.  Then I put a squirt each through two of the inside lines of the wedge and throw it in the bucket too.  Then fill the bucket with water and swish it around before going to town...

Perhaps the people who rave about the wedge use more soap than I do?  Until I pick up a gallon of soap, I'm reluctant to use much more than I already am.  Again, it seems fine for the wash pad.  Maybe I need to squirt more in the wedge, or keep adding to the wedge throughout the session?  (Since my car is pretty small, relative to an SUV or a truck, I'm assuming that I'm using plenty of soap.)

So there's my two cents.  I acknowledge that I'm a newbie, so take it for what it's worth B)

Welcome to the forum Matt!

Wow, there's some great conversation in this thread, that's why I love this place :)

As you can see, some people prefer the Wash Wedge and others prefer the Wash Pads. To me, both are great cleaning options, but I do tend to grab the Wash Pad more often because that is what I'm more comfortable with - I've used them for years and years and years with excellent results, and old habits are hard to break I guess. I do still use the Wedge from time to time, and I do agree that it is easier to clean out. I've had no issues with it thus far.

I do feel like it got my grill cleaner like the foam fingers got down in the cracks better than the pad. I would like to see Adams come out with a nice MF knobby mitt. I used them before I started with the pads.

Are you getting a bunch of washes out of them and wedge still appearing as if its looks brand new?

Yep pretty much. I swipe the wedge with my hand prior to taking it to the bucket and grit guard. It knocks off dirt so easily. Then when I am done I squeeze out the water and soap a bit and arrange and straighten the foam fingers. I think doing all of that helps keep it like new after dozens of washes.

Yep pretty much. I swipe the wedge with my hand prior to taking it to the bucket and grit guard. It knocks off dirt so easily. Then when I am done I squeeze out the water and soap a bit and arrange and straighten the foam fingers. I think doing all of that helps keep it like new after dozens of washes.

After I rub wedge or pad against grit guard, I squeeze out water and soap before going back to the soap bucket. I just like to make sure I'm getting the wedge or pads clean rather than it have full of dirty water.

I have both the pad and wedge (both the original yellow and new red). Here are my thoughts.

I have a big dislike for the wash pad. Dirt simply clings to the pad like a squirrel does an acorn, and rarely lets go. I like to take care of my belongings, and I really tried to comb my pad out like I was told. But it got to the point where I would rather get a root canal than comb those fricking pads.

When the wash wedge was announced, I believe I may have had my order in about 30 seconds after it went live for purchase. I had the same complaint as many others - the Wedge felt numb in my hand while washing. Suds were on par with the pad, especially filling the channels with shampoo. It cleaned well enough, missed a spot here and there but the cleanup time was orders of magnitude faster.

Then, one day, the neoprene handle came off the wedge. :unsure: Welp, there goes that I thought. I shuddered to think of the combing hell in my future. But, I decided to try the yellow, handle-less wedge one time. It was fantastic! Washing no longer felt numb. It was even easier to clean the sponge fingers. Furthermore, it was no longer missing spots.

tl;dr The wash wedge without the neoprene 'handle' is much, much better.

I have a wedge on order so I'll be sure to update my thoughts on this as time goes.  The things I don't like about the pad are how easily it gets caught in the corner of the trim and badges.  It also sticks to the rubberized bed liner on my truck (the bed liner and 12" worth of rockers).  I have a different mitt to wash the rubber with, but I always get some loose "hairs" that I have to go back pull off by hand.  But it is very soft and cleans really well, which is great for the large panels.

I have both the pad and wedge (both the original yellow and new red). Here are my thoughts.

I have a big dislike for the wash pad. Dirt simply clings to the pad like a squirrel does an acorn, and rarely lets go. I like to take care of my belongings, and I really tried to comb my pad out like I was told. But it got to the point where I would rather get a root canal than comb those fricking pads.

When the wash wedge was announced, I believe I may have had my order in about 30 seconds after it went live for purchase. I had the same complaint as many others - the Wedge felt numb in my hand while washing. Suds were on par with the pad, especially filling the channels with shampoo. It cleaned well enough, missed a spot here and there but the cleanup time was orders of magnitude faster.

Then, one day, the neoprene handle came off the wedge. :unsure: Welp, there goes that I thought. I shuddered to think of the combing hell in my future. But, I decided to try the yellow, handle-less wedge one time. It was fantastic! Washing no longer felt numb. It was even easier to clean the sponge fingers. Furthermore, it was no longer missing spots.

tl;dr The wash wedge without the neoprene 'handle' is much, much better.

Hmmm, I might just find my wash wedge with a little "accident" next time I use it....