Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wash wedge feedback please

Kickerz71

Question

I like it for speed and suds but I agree, there is less feel. 

Also, thou, I have been converted to a mostly rinseless or waterless wash guy now so I only really use a two bucket method maybe twice a year now. 

I'm on the fence about it.  I like the large surface area of the wash pad, but the grip on the wedge seems nice.  The part that gets me is you end up using at least twice as much soap by the time to fill your bucket and "load" the wedge with soap.  I get it, lubricity is the idea but that seems like a waste.  But I can't knock it til I try it, so we'll see if I pull the trigger or not!

Funny, this is my first post...  I drank the koolaide and invested over $300 in Adam's products last fall.  Of the 28 or so items that I've purchased, I'm stoked on everything except for the blue clay bar and the the red wash wedge.

After about five washes, I think I'm going to replace it with something else.  With so many experienced detailers on this forum raving about how they love the wedge, it's sort of hard for me to admit that I don't like it.  Sort of have the feeling, "who am I to go against the grain?"

I went with someone's recommendation that they liked to use the wedge above the belt line of the car, and the wash pad below it.  

I don't find that the wedge suds up any more than the regular wash pad.  In fact, I think I get more suds out of the wash pad.  I like how the wash pad is more intimate, I can feel what's going on better.  And I like how it's easier to see the dirt and specs in the white wash pad.  (I don't find it to be too much of a hassle to clean up.)  Also, I like that I can do a few swipes and then flip the wash pad over for a fresh surface.  Other than having a handle (which I turned out not to like as much because you can't feel what's going on), I really don't get why people love the wedge so much.  Someone mentioned that they heard the wedge scratches the paint...  I haven't seen that happen to my car (a 2106 MINI Cooper that's only seen Adam's products.) 

A few notes about how I've been using it.  I put about an ounce of soap in a foam gun (the cheaper Gilmour one) and foam down the car pretty well.  Then I use the two bucket wash method with grit guards.  I put an ounce or two of shampoo on the wash pad and throw it in the empty soap bucket.  Then I put a squirt each through two of the inside lines of the wedge and throw it in the bucket too.  Then fill the bucket with water and swish it around before going to town...

Perhaps the people who rave about the wedge use more soap than I do?  Until I pick up a gallon of soap, I'm reluctant to use much more than I already am.  Again, it seems fine for the wash pad.  Maybe I need to squirt more in the wedge, or keep adding to the wedge throughout the session?  (Since my car is pretty small, relative to an SUV or a truck, I'm assuming that I'm using plenty of soap.)

So there's my two cents.  I acknowledge that I'm a newbie, so take it for what it's worth B)

Thanks for the input folks, I think I might stick with the tried and true wash pad for now.

Given the fact that our low Canadian dollar is making these products expensive.

I may wait for an awesome promo.

The one thing I would say about the wedge is that it does release dirt extremely well. The wash pad will trap more and it can be very difficult to get out without using APC and rinsing it thoroughly. Both will get the job done and I believe you won't be disappointed with either.

I get about a good season out of a pair of wash pads. I like them much better and replace at end of season. I am not a wash wedge fan at all personally although I know some love it. The wash pads just glide across the surface with no pressure and hold a ton of suds.

I have 2 wash wedges and I use them on the bottom half of the vehicles because they release the dirt so well. This is my observation so far using them. I never scratched my paint so it might be technic. I don't have much feeling in my hands due to nerve problems so I like being able to have the grip to old on to. The pads slip out of my hands sometimes so I use them on the upper half where I have a better grip and more control.   

I must say I am not overly impressed with the wedge but I agree it does not hold large debris like a traditional pad. I have about 2 more washes before I give up on the wedge and stick with the pads, however hopefully I will get decent weather for my full correction then I'll use a Rinsless wash instead

Wedge on the lower part of the car and a wash pad everywhere else for me. I like how easily the wedge releases all the big gritty stuff that is most common lower on the car vs a wash pad.

+1

Using the wedge on the lowers for the nastier dirt and grit also increases the lifespan of the wash pad that I use for the majority of the car.

I have no problems with it whatsoever. I'm using it on a Cadillac and a Corvette and if it scratched my paint EVER it would be in the trash.  It's a LOT easier on my back and shoulders than the wash mitt which I find too heavy when it's wet.  The wedge rinses out just fine especially with the grit guard in the bucket. 

One thing is for certain, not everyone will like to use the "next big thing" when they come out. I still want a pole mounted wedge for my roof and windshield, but I will stick to the pads for the rest. I will keep using the wedge I have on the extreme lower panels on my truck, though!

In regards to the wash wedge I could take it or leave it......I agree that the wash pads feel more intimate while washing, but I hate how dirt gets imbedded into the pads. As for the wedge, it lacks the suds of the mitt but cleans real easy.

Prior to discovering Adams products I use to use a wash mitt that had microfiber fingers on it (before Adams made me aware of the difference in quality of microfiber material), I found that it released dirt particals fairly easy when rinsed. I'm ashamed to admit that I've backlined my pads and wash wedge and purchased 2 wash mitts from a competitor that is made with a quality microfiber fingers like I was use too (I swear everything else in my wash routine is all Adams). This is something that I wished Adams would offer in the future.

I personally like the wash wedge, I have a total of 3 but at the moment only use 2 of them. Maybe once, one of them show any sign of wear or start to appear dirty I will replace it with the new one I have. I use the red colored one for top part of car; from roof down to just under door handles. Then the other I use the yellow one for middle of door then I use a wash pad for the lower parts of the door. I do love how easily it releases the dirt and how after 30+ washes on multiple different vehicles they still look new. I think really rinsing off the vehicle for 3-4 minutes, then pre-soaking it and then foaming it down really helps remove any heavy dirt and debris on the vehicle. Could be one of the reasons that they still look brand new after all the washes they've gone through. That and I do rinse the wash wedges and wash pad out after every panel.

Totally agree man. The wedge has some great longevity.

Are you getting a bunch of washes out of them and wedge still appearing as if its looks brand new? I thoroughly inspect my wash wedge and wash pad, the wedge is always cleaner after rubbing it against the grit guard. That's why its confusing to me when some are saying they've had it scratch their car, I'm wondering if they are inspecting the wedge after rubbing it against the grit guard? Sometimes it takes me 2-3 times to really clean the the wash pad, I'm really considering on using my current yellow one for lower part of car and using the new one for the middle of doors and such.