Customer Service 866.965.0400

Am I doing this right?

Question

Hi All,

I've spent the last few days going through some threads here to figure out my new car care procedure. Any advice or suggestions or corrections are appreciated as I am a complete newb when it comes to this stuff.  

Some info: my car is brand new and I've owned it almost 3 months now. I've just been going to the touchless car wash down the street and wiping it down with Waterless wash.  The color is Dark Grey and it's my Daily driver but garaged at home and at work (9 mile commute).  I will be doing some Cars and Coffee/Shows as well.

From reading I've gathered this is what I need to do first:

1. Two bucket wash

(touchless wash sprays my car with some type of liquid wax or something, Do I need to do a strip wash? aka add a couple ounces of all purpose cleaner to this first wash?)

2. Spray the car with detail spray and use the Visco Clay bar to remove any contaminants from the car due to sitting on the lot/shipping to dealer. 

3. Dry the car off

4. Apply Liquid Paint Sealant with a Blk Microfiber applicator pad ( I don't own a machine) and wipe off with a double soft towel.

Going forward I need to:

1. Use H20 Guard and Gloss every 4 washes (roughly once a month). Spray Guard and gloss while car is wet after a wash and dry off with grey microfiber towel.

Now some questions:

1. When applying the LPS do I apply it to the entire car then go back and wipe it off? Or do I apply to a panel and wipe off immediately? 

2. I know LPS is for protection, and since my car is a daily, it's the best solution for me. For the times I'm hitting a car show or Cars and Coffee and only care about that wet look, should I just apply some brilliant glaze? Or should I invest in some Americana/Patriot Wax?

3. If a wax is suggested from question 2 and I have another show scheduled a couple weeks later after I've waxed the car, do I just "refresh" it with some Brilliant glaze?

4. I have a Carbon Fiber trunk/rear spoiler/Decklid on the way, Are any protection/wax's safe to use over Carbon fiber?

Thank you!

8 answers to this question

It seems you have a good idea of what needs to be done. You can add some all purpose cleaner to acheive a strip wash if you would like to start over. I like to do a rinseless wash after i clay the entire vehicle, you will see the left over "film" from claying, you can use rinseless diluted for clay lube to save some money if you would like as well. I personally apply the sealant to the entire vehicle then go back and remove afterwards. If you are in any sun I would remove panel by panel. After the sealant i would let it sit for 2-3 hours before topping it with anything. Brilliant glaze can be applied prior to sealant as well or after. The sealnt has a great look and shine to it but if you want the ultimate a wax and glaze can always be done. The patriot tin has more wax vs americana since its reformulation. I like to go full overkill so if patriot is affordable for you i say go for it. Let us know how it goes for you and post some before and after pics for us to see.

2. Spray the car with detail spray and use the Visco Clay bar to remove any contaminants from the car due to sitting on the lot/shipping to dealer.

Make sure you spray just a section at a time and not the entire car before claying.

1. Use H20 Guard and Gloss every 4 washes (roughly once a month). Spray Guard and gloss while car is wet after a wash and dry off with grey microfiber towel.

Be sure to watch the vid on the H20 GG.  There's more to it than you've outlined.  You need to spray a section, spread with a WET microfiber and then dry with a dry one.

Thanks for the replies! Great news about the Carbon Fiber, wasn't sure what to do with it heh.  And thanks Beemer, I saw the video a couple days ago and totally forgot about the wet microfiber step!

Hi All,

I've spent the last few days going through some threads here to figure out my new car care procedure. Any advice or suggestions or corrections are appreciated as I am a complete newb when it comes to this stuff.

Some info: my car is brand new and I've owned it almost 3 months now. I've just been going to the touchless car wash down the street and wiping it down with Waterless wash. The color is Dark Grey and it's my Daily driver but garaged at home and at work (9 mile commute). I will be doing some Cars and Coffee/Shows as well.

From reading I've gathered this is what I need to do first:

1. Two bucket wash

(touchless wash sprays my car with some type of liquid wax or something, Do I need to do a strip wash? aka add a couple ounces of all purpose cleaner to this first wash?)

3. Dry the car off

4. Apply Liquid Paint Sealant with a Blk Microfiber applicator pad ( I don't own a machine) and wipe off with a double soft towel.

Going forward I need to:

Now some questions:

1. When applying the LPS do I apply it to the entire car then go back and wipe it off? Or do I apply to a panel and wipe off immediately?

2. I know LPS is for protection, and since my car is a daily, it's the best solution for me. For the times I'm hitting a car show or Cars and Coffee and only care about that wet look, should I just apply some brilliant glaze? Or should I invest in some Americana/Patriot Wax?

3. If a wax is suggested from question 2 and I have another show scheduled a couple weeks later after I've waxed the car, do I just "refresh" it with some Brilliant glaze?

4. I have a Carbon Fiber trunk/rear spoiler/Decklid on the way, Are any protection/wax's safe to use over Carbon fiber?

Thank you!

1: Entire car first

2: Either or works, consensus is that americana is shinier

3: You can apply 10 coats of BG in a row and it won't build up unlike americana. On a daily driver though, a few weeks apartment you should be fine with another coat of americana

4: Business as usual by hand

So I ended up going with Adam's Patriot Shine kit (Patriot Wax + Brilliant glaze) with the LPS, Guard and gloss, Visco clay etc.  Hopefully this Patriot Wax and Brilliant glaze on top of LPS will give me an incredible shine!

So I ended up going with Adam's Patriot Shine kit (Patriot Wax + Brilliant glaze) with the LPS, Guard and gloss, Visco clay etc. Hopefully this Patriot Wax and Brilliant glaze on top of LPS will give me an incredible shine!

Sweet pastry you aren't kidding. You got the shine freak kit!