Customer Service 866.965.0400

Proper VRT application.

JDrach

Question

So I've used VRT after using white wall cleaner ( from work ) to degrease the tires. Brown run off usually occurs on the tires when I use it. I've noticed that one the two brand new Michelins, the VRT stuck well, even after a second wash using the white wall tire cleaner. Still had vrt on the two new tires.

The back tires are older, same model Michelins. However, using the same method on yhe older tires, the VRT didn't stick well. It came off after a day or two, and wasn't there there at all when it came to wash time. Any suggestions?

19 answers to this question

Have you tried using APC or TRC too see how well that would work with getting the tires completely clean.  I might venture a guess and say that because the tires are older there is more old tire shine or dirt/gunk to remove in order to get to the "bare" tire and then be able to apply the VRT and have it cling appropriately? I had the same issue with the old tires on a sentra and came to realize I hadn't removed everything from them and this was why it there wasn't an appropriate cling of VRT, just like in your situation it would only last 1 or 2 days on the tire. Hopefully this helps!  

I have not tried any adams tire cleaning products. I do have this one stuff that i use at work that would turn the tires white/gray in color. And to be honest, I was afraid that was ruining the tire! But apparently thats as bare to the rubber you can get?

JDrach,

I would definitely give our New Tire & Rubber Cleaner a try with a Deep Tire Scrub Brush to really make sure you get all the dirt and other previous products removed from the tire before applying the VRT. This will allow the VRT to now bond to the tire. I believe our Tire Brush is currently on sale so hurry and grab one if you don't have one, it really does work awesome. If you have any other questions let me know! :2thumbs:

I've applied it twice the first time, after wiping it off the first and seeing most of it seemed to absorb, or come off.

It takes a while to absorb, if you are wiping away the product after the first application try letting the vrt sit on the tire before buffing away. you may see that it fully soaks into the tire requiring a 2nd application then.

Honestly, it sounds like your older tires aren't getting clean enough, and may be exhibiting tire bloom.

With T&R Cleaner, it took several bouts of applying/scrubbing to get the tires CLEAN, but when I did they were black as new. I no longer use VRT on my tires, I use Tire Shine, but it lasted for almost three weeks. Including driving through two thunderstorms!

It sounds like the stuff you get from work is pretty powerful, but may not be suitable for tire rubber compounds. Using the correct chemical with appropriate elbow grease is the best route to renewing your tires (and pretty much your entire vehicle!).

Just tried again, scrubbed the tires with tire cleaner, stiff brush and a coarse brush, dry and wet method (so twice) and then applied a thin layer, let it soak in, wiped off, and then repeated several times. The newer times held up fine after the first coat, but the older set kept fading back to an uncoated tired look.

Finally after up to 4 applications to where it the old tires looked like the VRT was holding, I let them sit for a couple minutes, wiped down, and went about. Caught brief rain 18 hours later and all the VRT is completely stripped. I give up on this product.

Have you tried Tire Shine? I think Tire Shine is a better protectant than the VRT when tires are concerned (not 100% sure on this), but if you apply the TS and then wipe a little with a microfiber, it will diminish the shine to where it almost looks like VRT

When I had my Raptor, I hated the looked of shiny tires so i always used VRT, but it never stuck for longer than a few days. So I started using TS and scrubbing it a little to dull it out.. worked for me.

I wouldn't give up til you try that.

I have tried tire shine, worked well on my old set of tires and lasted a good while, even after rainfall. And these tires prolly have 35k is my guess. It just doesn't semester like they're absorbing like they do on the new ones. I see small spots everywhere where the VRT isn't sticking. Even after multiple passes and applications with VRT and the block applicator.

How long are you letting VRT sit on the tire before you wipe it down?

I was going to mention that new tires have a mold wax that is released until the tires are broken in for a few hundred miles.  But seeing as the tires have about 35K miles on them that is not the issue. 

It is possible that the cleaner you are using is causing you issues and drying out the rubber too much. 

Try cleaning the tire with something like Adams Tire & Rubber Cleaner and a tire brush.  Let the tire dry.  A metro blaster sidekick comes in handy to get this done quicker. 

Apply one coat and let that sit for about 15-20 min.  Wipe down the tire and apply another coat and let that sit for another 15-20 min.  Then come back and wipedown the tire just a bit to remove any excess product.  This should allow the tire to absorb the VRT.  If you have a metro blaster sidekick you could blow air onto the tire to spread out the product into the crevices and speed up the drying process.

Michelin tires are some of the hardest tires to dress. 

I don't own VRT anymore but this is something that can sometime happen with most water based tire gels.

I'll have to make a switch back to tire shine and see if that works, I got good results with that on my previous Michelin defenders ( as well as any other tire shine). But I only need one coat of vrt on these new Michelin Primacys, maybe a wipe down and a second coat. I did take pictures of the process I did last night on the older primacys, applied, wiped down after 15 or 30 mins, then read applied. Did this 3 times at work over an hour or hour and a half. Just started raining again now, go figure, so we'll see if they hold up while the car sits.

I'll have to make a switch back to tire shine and see if that works, I got good results with that on my previous Michelin defenders ( as well as any other tire shine). But I only need one coat of vrt on these new Michelin Primacys, maybe a wipe down and a second coat. I did take pictures of the process I did last night on the older primacys, applied, wiped down after 15 or 30 mins, then read applied. Did this 3 times at work over an hour or hour and a half. Just started raining again now, go figure, so we'll see if they hold up while the car sits.

Looking forward to your feedback.  I was never a fan of SVRT which is why I don't own it anymore.