Customer Service 866.965.0400

Newbie detailer item list help.

mosley9423

Question

Hello I recently got a newer car that is actually worth detailing and taking care of. Iv always used meguiars and someone told me to come over to Adams Polishes. So Im here looking for advice from you guys on what products i should buy. I basically need everything from wash to microfiber towels. If you would be kind enough to make a list on what i should purchase that would be great. My car is a Red tintcoat Buick verano and has leather seats with cloth inserts  if that matters. Price isnt an issue would like to keep it around 700 is possible 

18 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum! 

I bought a new 4Runner a few months ago, so I'll rattle off the new car routine that I follow. There's many variations, but here's what I did. I may have missed a step here, but you'll get the idea.

Exterior:

Tire and Rubber Cleaner on tires, scrubbed with stiff Blue Brush, rinse. Had to repeat this twice.

Strip wash with All Purpose Cleaner and Car Shampoo, using 2 Bucket Method with Red Wash Wedge and Wool Pad

Wheel Cleaner on wheels, agitate with Red Brush, rinse (I always use a different wash bucket for wheels)

Clay bar all paint, glass, and wheels using Detail Spray as lube

Another quick wash with Car Shampoo and fresh buckets

Dry with Large White Dry Towels

Paint Sealant on paint and wheels, applied with microfiber pad

VRT on my running boards and other trim

Under Carriage Spray inside my wheel wells

Tire Shine on my clean tires

Glass Cleaner on all my windows

Glass Sealant on all my windows

Another layer of Glass Cleaner to take out any streaks

Couple days later:

Quick wash with Car Shampoo

With car still wet, H20 Guard and Gloss and dry with Gray Microfiber towels on paint and wheels (lots of people do glass too, I don't.)

Patriot Wax with Red Applicator on paint over H20 Guard and Gloss, buff off

Interior:

I have hardly any interior leather on this vehicle, unlike my last, so it's easy to maintain.

Interior Detailer on dash and other plastic surfaces, applied using Blue Waffle Towels

Glass Cleaner on all inside windows

Like I said, many people do it differently, but this is what I did. Good luck!!

Welcome to the forum Tyler!

My advice is to go for the kits, as they provide the best value:

WINTER WASHING DETAIL KIT

INTERIOR 6 PACK

LIQUID PAINT SEALANT KIT

MICROFIBER BUNDLE

Add a second bucket:

DETAILING BUCKET

And some of the NEW TIRE & RUBBER CLEANER.

If you have a pressure washer, then the FOAM CANNON CAR WASH KIT is a must.

If no pressure washer, then go with the SUDS-FOR-DAYS FOAM GUN BUNDLE.

Tyler, 

Don't think the polisher and paint sealant will do the swirl marks..  it's not a polish.. it's a protectant like wax... (most people use the term polish a bit indiscriminately.... but properly a polish has light abrasives in it..  not that the polishes are anything cost wise when your talking about buying the machine...

anyway the promised copy of my order... realize that is geared toward a truck a car and 2 motorcycles... and at the same time I plan on ordering more... (a gallon of detail spray is one thing that pops to mind.. )

do some reading and video watching and decide how you wanna do yours... but don't feel you can't make adjustments after you start... It's a learning process for all of us.. even Adam... which is why he makes great products.. he doesn't stop learning..

Adam's Complete 2 Bucket Car Wash Kit
Contents
2 x Adam's NEW Great White Microfiber Drying Towel $0.00
1 x Adam's Detail Spray 16oz $0.00
2 x Adam's 10" Car Wash Pad $0.00
1 x Adam's Car Wash Shampoo Gallon $0.00
2 x Adam's Gamma Seal & Grit Guard Car Wash Bucket $0.00
Adam's Grit Guard Washboard
Adam's NEW Waterless Wash 16oz
Adam's Foam Cannon with FREE 16oz Shampoo

Adam's Liquid Paint Sealant Kit
Contents
1 x Adam's Blue Microfiber Applicator Pads (2 Pack) $0.00
1 x Adam's Liquid Paint Sealant 8oz $0.00
1 x Adam's NEW Double Soft Microfiber Towel 1 Pack $0.00
Adam's Visco Clay Bar Kit
Adam's NEW All Purpose Cleaner 32oz

Adam's Basic H2O Guard & Gloss Kit
Contents
1 x Adam's H2O Guard & Gloss 16oz $0.00
2 x Adam's Borderless Gray Towel $0.00
Adam's Perfect Vision Glass Cleaner & Sealant Combo
Contents
1 x Adam's 4oz Glass Sealant $0.00
1 x Adam's Blue Microfiber Applicator Pads (2 Pack) $0.00
1 x Adam's Glass Cleaner 16oz $0.00
1 x Adam's NEW Microfiber Glass Cleaning Towel (2 Pack) $0.00
Adam's Pro Tire Hex Grip Applicator (For Tires and Trim)
Adam's Cockpit Brush
Adam's Wheel Brush Kit
Contents
1 x Adam's 20" Fender Brush $0.00
1 x Adam's Wheel Woolie $0.00
1 x Adam's Deep Clean Tire Scrub Brush $0.00
1 x Adam's Short Wheel Brush $0.00

Adam's Leather & Interior Care Kit
Contents
1 x Adam's Leather & Interior Cleaner 16oz $0.00
1 x Adam's Leather Conditioner 16oz $0.00
1 x Adam's Edgeless Utility Towel (2 Pack) $0.00
1 x Adam's Premium Interior Dressing Applicators (2 Pack) $0.00

Adam's Super VRT Tire & Trim Dressing 16oz

If you visit the ebay store adams had they had a great pc polosher kit deal not sure if it is still there or not. If you have the extra cash I would totally say a polosher is a amazing tool. Not only do you get to get all the swirls and such out initally but it makes putting a thin even coat of sealant down easy as pie and in no time might I add. As Dan aka the wolf stated kits are the best bang for your buck so search through some of them and see what appeals the most to you. You should do yourself a favor and place a call to the Adams team as well the customer service is ridiculously insane. They might be able to help you out more bang for the buck than searching the site yourself. Everyone is awesome that's on the team I personally get Dan typically and he is phenomenal at his job. Welcome to the addiction

Hey Dan do you think i should get a Polisher to apply the paint sealant and help get rid of the light swirl marks?

Sure!   :D

If you've got swirl marks that need to be removed, then a polisher is a must.  Even if you don't have swirls, machine polishing will result in more shine and depth than you will get from a sealant or wax.

As Daniel stated above, a polisher also works good to get a very thin coat of Paint Sealant, which is the best way to apply it, since it makes removing the residue easier.

If you are wanting to get set up with a good selection of products, and stay under budget while adding a machine polisher, then the Porter Cable (PC) kit will work.  If you can apply some additional funds, then I would recommend stepping up to a machine polisher that is more enjoyable to use, as the PC has a lot of vibration and gives you a work-out.  The Cyclo Polisher is a great all-around tool, and the Rupes polishers are also great options.  There's lots of threads on the different polishers.  If you're interested, let me know and I will link some of them for you.

I was out looking at the car today and it does have some slight swirl marks. Which Adams product would help the most with that? Revive Hand Polish? 

While Revive can make some improvement, the limitation is that you are applying/working it by hand, and it takes a lot of effort to remove enough clear coat to get the swirls out.  I think Revive is better geared towards improving the appearance by removing oxidation and marring that is hard to see but does affect the clarity of the finish.

If you're looking for a near-perfect finish, go with a machine polisher and the Correcting Polish and Finishing Polish with the matching pads.

I was out looking at the car today and it does have some slight swirl marks. Which Adams product would help the most with that? Revive Hand Polish?

Dan beat me once again... What's new lol. For swirls the best thing is a polisher, they are not cheap but they are worth every penny. I use a long throw machine like the rupes and they are butter smooth and very easy to use. Nothing wrong with starting with a porter cable unit many people start with the pc and move up later on down the road. I have paid for my polisher by doing one vehicle on the side so there is that option as well for you. I am no pro but I deliever better results than the pros in the county I live in, although rednecks tend not to care what the vehicle appearance is unfortunately. Let us know if you need anything else were all a happy dysfunctional family around here. There have been a few polishers in the trade section of the forum get to 50 posts I think to unlock that area and you might score a great deal. Most of us on the forums are very honest so while nothing is guarnteed typically no issues come out of the trade section here.

you have gotten some great advice above, and I really like the kit Dan put together, but would make some changes myself. 

Def would go with the winter kit, awesome option and great starting point by itself at $130

I also agree with the interior 6 pack at $70

Liquid Paint sealer kit $35

Rubber cleaner at $11 def worth it. 

After this is where we differ a little bit. 

The tire brush, while not a must def helps out $9

The Wheel woolie, by far my fav tool for tires and well worth the $25

The Rinsless wash starter kit $80 (You get the second bucket and 5, count em 5 double softs! plus the rinseless and a tolco dilution bottle killer maint combo here!!) 

2 grey utility towels $10

2 interior dressing applicators (8

2 Glass towels $15

Great white drying towel for $25

2 Waterless wash towels for $17

Visco Clay kit for $37

Porter Cable Polisher basics kit $220 

Grand Total $691.86

Forum discount code 10%

New total $644.67

Just shy of enough room to put the foam cannon or gun in there. If you really want those trade out the visco clay kit for it and you have one heck of a start. 

I put a polisher in there as well, but if you are willing to spend a bit more, or wait to do some full corrections there are better polishers, or there is also the for sale section where they show up on occasion as well. That is your call and may or may not save you money in the long run.