Customer Service 866.965.0400

How do you dry?

Ls1transam

Question

I don't have a leaf blower or master blaster. I could buy one bust, it's just a little too expensive for me. So how do you guys dry your cars? I have a couple of the great white towels but they feel too harsh to me, so that makes me nervous. I have a shammy that I use but, I also wonder about it scratching as well.

18 answers to this question

I am far too poor to justify a master blaster just yet, so when I apply HGG I always dry with multiple Borderless Gray Towels. When I dry with Detail Spray every other time, I dry with my Plush Orange Microfibers (I stocked up on Pumpkin Spice last year, and have been using it ever since). 

The only time I ever use my GWDT, is when I do my strip wash process and need the paint clean and bare. You're right though, the GWDT feels harsh, so even if it isn't supposed to scratch, I still don't like to use it. 

After all my dryings, I have a Sidekick Blaster to clean out all the cracks, and then I clean up the drips with another plush microfiber.

I do us an electric leaf blower, but I have had to dry the car when I have been at shows and it rained.  I have always used the large white waffle waive towels with great success and not issues.  If it is dragging how long has it been since you waxed the car.  if you have no wax protection it may be the cause.  If it is waxed,try and mist the area you are going to dry with Adams Detail spray.  It not only helps in the drying, but it will add that additional shine.  Just go around the car and as I said spray a mist on the detail spray and dry that area. 

I do use the master blaster but intentionally only dry to about 80 or 90%.  I work the water out the trim, mirrors and door handles with it and totally dry the wheels starting at the lug nuts.

Then spritz the vehicle with detail spray and dry using two double stops (one in each hand) and remove remaining water buffing to a nice shine.

Before I had the master blaster I used a great white drying towel to knock down the bulk of the water and then finished off in the same manner as above using detail spray and the double soft's.

Takes me about 30 minutes at most to wash and dry one of our vehicles including tire scrub and fender wells.

The towels don't drag. Just the feel of the towel itself feels rough to me. I e been wondering about using some microfiber towels for drying, just haven't tried it yet.

I used to use double softs to dry. It works well if you have several of them

Used to use great whites when had sidekick.

Now that I have MB, the sidekick has been hibernating in my detail cabinet. No drying towels touch my paint.

It's expensive but well worth the time/expense of not having to correct paint more often. (Although I got the original MB, not the revolution which is quite a bit money so I understand the hesitation.)

I do a quick dry with the sidekick of the wheels and the few known spots that hold water, depending on which vehicle I'm doing...this is immediately after the sheet rinse. Take roughly 10 min on that. Then I'll just do a panel by panel using DS with a wrung out super plush 16x16 towel that had been soaking in the Rinseless. Damp towels work so much better than a dry towel...plus the towel spreads and finishes the DS spot free...requiring little to no dry buffing afterwords.

Edited by 07RS4

I do a quick dry with the sidekick of the wheels and the few known spots that hold water, depending on which vehicle I'm doing...this is immediately after the sheet rinse. Take roughly 10 min on that. Then I'll just do a panel by panel using DS with a wrung out super plush 16x16 towel that had been soaking in the Rinseless. Damp towels work so much better than a dry towel...plus the towel spreads and finishes the DS spot free...requiring little to no dry buffing afterwords.

Good advice

I use my leaf blower to blow off excess water.  Especially on the roof in between the groves.  If I don't, I waste a towel on the roof alone.  I then use detail spray along with some waffle drying towels that I had from the local parts store.  Or I'll use whatever quality MF towels that I have if needed.  I plan on getting some GWDT's in the future.  I'm still slowly stocking up on stuff here and there.

Detail spray is where it's at.  I can't believe what a difference it makes when drying.  I was using way too much when I first started and have really cut back and still get good results.  I really love the stuff.  

I do have some H20 G&G but I'm kind of saving it for the winter months.  

I use the master blaster and then follow it up with detail spray.  I don't dry it perfect with the master blaster, but close.  I found for me that I get better results this way.  I used to do it the old fashioned way with a gwdt and detail spray.  And it worked.  Just doest get every where, the wheels for example.  

I held off buying one for the longest time, because of the price.  After I got it, I had to ask myself why I waited so long.