Customer Service 866.965.0400

Should I strip first?

gunnybadger

Question

LOL, that got some of your attention...okay maybe not.

On to the intent of my post: 

My truck has been washed a couple of time since I've bought it and waxed once. Should I use the strip wash on my truck the first time around? 

If so, and I intend on getting a foam gun; should I load that up with strip wash, suds it up and then follow behind with the car shampoo? Or completely wash with the strip wash and not worry about the car shampoo? 

The reason I ask if I should strip the truck down is not only to get the wax off, but whatever they use to "dress" the exterior trim has ran down my paint due to some extreme heat (100 degree plus temps). 

Next question: 

Am I close to the order of operations when starting with a clean/blank slate: 

Strip or Regular Wash

Dry

Clay

Wash Again (not necessary, I'd assume)

Correcting Polish

Finishing Polish

Seal

Wax

Glaze

Thank you for your time and any information you'd be willing to provide. Sorry for the bad joke at the beginning :D 

16 answers to this question

LOL, that got some of your attention...okay maybe not.

On to the intent of my post: 

My truck has been washed a couple of time since I've bought it and waxed once. Should I use the strip wash on my truck the first time around? 

If so, and I intend on getting a foam gun; should I load that up with strip wash, suds it up and then follow behind with the car shampoo? Or completely wash with the strip wash and not worry about the car shampoo? 

The reason I ask if I should strip the truck down is not only to get the wax off, but whatever they use to "dress" the exterior trim has ran down my paint due to some extreme heat (100 degree plus temps). 

Next question: 

Am I close to the order of operations when starting with a clean/blank slate: 

Strip or Regular Wash

Dry

Clay

Wash Again (not necessary, I'd assume)

Correcting Polish

Finishing Polish

Seal

Wax

Glaze

Thank you for your time and any information you'd be willing to provide. Sorry for the bad joke at the beginning :D

This is my detailing order........

Strip wash

clay

CP

FP

BG

PS

Wax

This is the order that I use.

Strip wash

clay

CP

FP

BG

PS

Wax

Thank you Chris! There is definitely a lot less steps in that process.

I have a tendency to overthink things and I have been researching this since I joined the forum (including reading the forum and external sources). I just wan't sure, since this is the first go around, if I needed to/should include it all. I see that I had a few things out of [recommended/preferred] order. 

I skip drying if I'm claying. Nor do I wash after claying. If you have Adam's wheel Cleaner you should apply it before claying to help decontaminate. Don't forget to test your polishing before going right to full correction. You might not need it.

Thank you Chops (Chris)...

Skipping drying makes sense and I have thought about that, but my concern is getting water spots. My hose spigot has soft water running through it and I'm not sure if the salt in the water would create additional water spots. Adam's wheel cleaner for claying?!?! I bought the kit with the detailing spray...that's not what I want to use when claying? I do have the wheel cleaner though. 

The deep wheel cleaner when sprayed on the vehicles paint will dissolve a lot of the metal contamination that's on the paint making the clay process quicker and easier.

Spray deep wheel cleaner on. Let it work. And rinse off. Do that prior to using clay with the regular technique. It will do a lot of the heavy decontamination for you.

I've read that the deep wheel cleaner can be diluted at 1:1 for decontamination purposes. I have not tried it diluted yet though.

Another way to do clay is, use wash as lube. Foam gun or cannon and wash vehicle as normal. Using the sponge you used for the top half of the vehicle (cleanest sponge theoretically) use the strip wash left in the clean bucket. Dip it in and then use the soap as lubricant for the clay.

I like to use the method of wipe panel down then squeeze sponge over where I'm claying. Just be care fully if you're in the sun. The Cisco clay doesn't like hot panels.

If I am stripping the whole car this is how I do it. I just did this for my car and it worked great.

I would use Strip Wash again after polishing to get rid of the extra oils on the paint. Then of course dry before using LPS or Brilliant Glaze. I never put anything but LPS down on bare paint, but it's preference. This is the procedure I follow.

Strip

Clay

Polish

Strip and dry

LPS

The deep wheel cleaner when sprayed on the vehicles paint will dissolve a lot of the metal contamination that's on the paint making the clay process quicker and easier.

Spray deep wheel cleaner on. Let it work. And rinse off. Do that prior to using clay with the regular technique. It will do a lot of the heavy decontamination for you.

I've read that the deep wheel cleaner can be diluted at 1:1 for decontamination purposes. I have not tried it diluted yet though.

Not for use while claying but you spray it on beforehand. Let sit a few minutes (do not let it dry, I also leave the vehicle wet when doing this step) and agitate with a throwaway sponge. Rinse off then proceed with claying.

Ah, okay...makes sense now regarding the wheel cleaner. Thank you. 

I would use Strip Wash again after polishing to get rid of the extra oils on the paint. Then of course dry before using LPS or Brilliant Glaze. I never put anything but LPS down on bare paint, but it's preference. This is the procedure I follow.

Strip

Clay

Polish

Strip and dry

LPS

Excuse my ignorance, I'm still learning the acronyms, but what is LPS? Liquid Paint Sealant? 

Thank you...