Customer Service 866.965.0400

Considering a second polisher

shane@detailedreflections

Question

Lately I've been thinking of adding a second polisher to my collection. I currently have a cyclo polisher that works well and has been completely trouble free. My thought in a second polisher is that as I've been doing more detailing, I have someone who's willing to help me. The help is obviously nice since it can cut the time of a lengthy process down quite a bit. I'm conflicted between a second cyclo or a rupes.

There's times that I'll detail a vehicle by myself. So the same machine would be used throughout. If someone assists me though, would it be noticeable if parts were done with a rupes and parts with a cyclo? Or is it better to have two of the same machine? It would be nice to have the choice between cyclo or rupes though.

What are thoughts on two different polishers versus two of the same? Especially when giving thought to two people working on a vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

19 answers to this question

Shane, I can't answer your question about whether different polishers will leave noticeable differences on the finished product.  But I have been wrestling with the same question you are in terms of buying a 2nd polisher.  Like you, I have a Cyclo and am thinking about adding another polisher.  For me, I'm interested in getting something that can get into tighter spots.  I've thought about buying a polisher designed specifically for tight spaces, like the Rupes BigFoot Nano iBrid, but it's a lot of money to spend on something that can only do small areas.

The other option I'm thinking about (which is much cheaper) is buying the 4" cordless drill backing plate from Adam's.  That way, I can use the same pads I use on the Cyclo with my cordless drill. I would imagine you could do something as large as a door panel and would also be able to work on small spaces and headlights.

I downgraded my Porter Cable to a 4" pads machine and I like it better than my Flex, it seems to correct faster.

I'd say either PC for tight areas if you are on a smaller budget or the Rupes Mini if you can go all in. If you are not looking for a smaller area machine, Rupes 15 is a no brainer in my opinion.

I have three polishers now.

1. Porter Cable which was my first polisher. It was affordable and easy to use.

2. Flex 3401 which is what I use now to do most of my correcting. It is more powerful then the PC.

3. Rupes Mini which I got for small areas. I really love this machine!

I have been considering getting a Rupes 15. That maybe in the Spring. I do all the polishing except on a rare occasion my wife wants to help in which case she uses the PC.

The person helping you will have more impact on the polishing then the actual polisher.  I would try another polisher like the Rupes. It would be a nice upgrade and give you a second polisher when someone is there to help.

I too have a Cyclo. If I where to uy a second polisher, I would seriously consider a Rupes LHR 75E Mini Random Orbital Polisher. It can use the same pads as the Cyclo and would compliment the Cyclo buy being a bit more agile in tight areas.

Shane,

You should not notice any difference in what those two polishers do on the finish. They both will get you to near perfect really quickly and easily. I think the Rupes 15 would definitely be the way to go. It is similar to the Cyclo in that it is super smooth. But it will probably correct faster in most cases. I have both the Cyclo and the MK I Rupes 15. They compliment each other well. Both really easy to use. Rupes does have a decent edge in correction speed and ease of maneuvering although the Cyclo can get into tight spaces turned sideways.

The LHR15II is going to give you a substantial upgrade in cutting power compared to the Cyclo.

Now don't get me wrong, the Cyclo is a great tool and does a fantastic job, but its strongest attribute is its balance. Really its the only tool on the market that can claim lower vibration levels than the BigFoot family, but the higher OPM and larger stroke of the BigFoot 15 means it cuts faster and finishes clean.

It really comes down to what your goals/needs are. If you want something to do the bulk of the work faster than your Cyclo can then get a 15 Mark II. If you find yourself needing a tool for tight areas and edgework get the LHR75E Mini (it'll run the same pads as your Cyclo so thats an added bonus).

I had a feeling Dylan might chime in

Hey... part of the benefit of working in the building where both the Cyclo and now the BigFoot 15 and 21 are built for the US market. No bias in my opinion between these tools, they're all part of the RUPES family now :)

There's been some great feedback here. Looks like it'll be a Rupes polisher being added to the collection. It's only money, right? And a guy can never really have too many tools in the box.

Think I know what I want for Christmas. And then my bithday. The Bigfoot. And then a mini. They'll be perfect additions to my cyclo.

Again, great feedback. Exactly what I was hoping for and why I love this place.

Shane glad to know we could help. I really think all these polishers have their place the way I look at it. Each has a niche or something it does better than another. If you have the means, I say go for it. The typical Adams customer probably gets by without a polisher. But if you are on the Forum, you are probably more insane about how you care for your car. The level at which you can maintain a vehicle is substantially higher these days than it ever was 5-10 years ago. These polishers are a huge part of that.

Shane glad to know we could help. I really think all these polishers have their place the way I look at it. Each has a niche or something it does better than another. If you have the means, I say go for it. The typical Adams customer probably gets by without a polisher. But if you are on the Forum, you are probably more insane about how you care for your car. The level at which you can maintain a vehicle is substantially higher these days than it ever was 5-10 years ago. These polishers are a huge part of that.

I agree that caring for the paint on your car has changed quite a bit. Fortunately I have most of the products offered from Adams. I might have to add some more polishers though like I've mentioned. The changes are definitely for the better and I love having my cars look great!

I have the Cyclo also, and I got a Rupes mini also, I use the mini for areas the Cyclo can't get and the spots where deeper scratches are at. Plus it uses the same pads. I'm glad I went that route. Yes I want want a Bigfoot 15 but having the less vibration and using the same pads was such an easy choice for me.

Im with Josh, I have the Cyclo and the Mini and its a great combo, if your getting some help you can each do areas, one can do smaller areas the other the larger. You also get to share pads with the machines this way and keep your stock lower overall. 

Just my .02

The LHR15II is going to give you a substantial upgrade in cutting power compared to the Cyclo.

Now don't get me wrong, the Cyclo is a great tool and does a fantastic job, but its strongest attribute is its balance. Really its the only tool on the market that can claim lower vibration levels than the BigFoot family, but the higher OPM and larger stroke of the BigFoot 15 means it cuts faster and finishes clean.

It really comes down to what your goals/needs are. If you want something to do the bulk of the work faster than your Cyclo can then get a 15 Mark II. If you find yourself needing a tool for tight areas and edgework get the LHR75E Mini (it'll run the same pads as your Cyclo so thats an added bonus).

the rupes 15 has a larger stroke than the cyclo? I thought the stroke of the cyclo was 15.875mm correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that's right out of the manual. :) that would give the cyclo the edge in the stroke department . Add the fact that u can put pressure on the cyclo vice 0 pressure on the rupes , the gap lessens even more in terms of correction power . Edited by PostalTwo

the rupes 15 has a larger stroke than the cyclo? I thought the stroke of the cyclo was 15.875mm correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that's right out of the manual. :) that would give the cyclo the edge in the stroke department . Add the fact that u can put pressure on the cyclo vice 0 pressure on the rupes , the gap lessens even more in terms of correction power .

You are correct. After re-reading my post I can see where I mis-spoke (posted)

When I said larger I meant in relation to common tools on the market, not the Cyclo specifically. It would have been more clear to say LARGE orbit, not LARGER orbit.

In terms of pressure - not sure I understand your statement there. For the optimal performance of both machines pressure should be minimal. The BigFoot tools are designed specifically NOT to require downward pressure, pretty much only the weight of the tool. The Cyclo is the same. Excessive downward pressure rarely offers much benefit to a polishing operation and causes fatigue for operators.

Long story short - if its a race for complete removal of a defect in identical conditions the LHR15II will be the faster machine due to its operating speed and torque delivery.

Edited by Dylan@RUPES

Thanks for your response Dylan. My information comes from a video you made on the cyclo where u were showing using the cyclo on a black truck . U said "you could remove your guide hand entirely if u didn't need the pressure ". Also Adam in many videos has talked about using about 5lbs pressure he says "it's amazing what a little bit of pressure will do" . So I'm sure u can see where my misunderstanding comes from :).

Edited by PostalTwo

You'll love the Rupes. Do yourself a favor and grab at least three Orange pads and a couple MF while you're at it. The Rupes LHR15MkII cuts so fast you'll have to start thinking about residue management. The easiest way I know of to accomplish effective residue management is to simply change the pad. It's a larger up front cost, but each of those pads will last longer and so will the tool. Your total time on each job will go down because you aren't fighting to remove the nasty residue from four panels ago.

I change pads four times per passenger vehicle, and six times on vans and trucks. It might seem extreme at first, but when you finish a job 30 minutes ahead of time and your arms still have strength left, it makes the finished product that much better.