Customer Service 866.965.0400

Car Cover for Garage Winter Storage

ouhockeyplayer

Question

I'm going to be storing my STI this winter in my garage, and I've been trying to research cover recommendations.  However, I keep getting conflicting answers on if you should cover your car or not.  Some people say don't cover your car because it may scratch the paint and others say it is okay as long as you cover it after washing.  For those that store your car in a garage over the winter do you cover or not cover?  Im currently looking at purchasing a Covercraft custom fit Dustop cover.  http://www.covercraft.com/us/en/product/covercraft-custom-dustop-car-cover.C-CCDP

12 answers to this question

Been using this same thing since 2001.  I bought two super soft flannel sheets, washed them, had the wife sew the short ends together to make one long cover, then I put that on top of the car, and THEN I put the cover on.  No scratches, keeps all dust and dirt off and out of the car since the one window is down a bit for the trickle charger.  My garage is apart from my house and unheated with a concrete floor. So to keep moisture from seeping up underneath my car in the winter I put down a layer of those interlocking rubber mats, then put the car on tire cradles, and then cover her up, hook her up to life support and don't start her again until spring.  This pic is from last year and I'm in the process of putting her to bed this week. 

post-15-0-72097200-1477536487_thumb.jpg

I have a California Car Cover sitting on my Tundra. Had it for over 10 years.  It also sits outside in the driveway with the elements and has not scratched the paint. It works great at keeping the bird crap and my neighbors tree sap off of it. I have a deluxe version- dont remember which model, but I need to take it to the laudromat to wash it. I also add a water repellant chemical that I found at the ski shop for keeping your ski gear dry. Sheds water in the rain, breathes during the day.

I have one uncovered Bird (that is red) that at times had to go outside so I can work on something else in the garage. Then another Bird (that is black) that is parked on squares of carpet and has a cover on it. Haven't gotten any scratches yet.

Up here we have heated garages and both cars are in a comfortable 68*.

The part I get tired of, is dusting off a car that barely goes outside. So it doesn't get out to even wash with water. So at some point I'll be getting a nice cover for it. I'm also looking for a cover to put over our Solstice.

Years back I used a cover. Now? None. (Always stored my vehicles in a garage.)

Personally, I think you're hearing conflicting opinions because both approaches have advantages and disadvantages. A cover will keep dust off the car, provide protection from objects/people falling/rubbing up against the vehicle... No cover provides better air circulation/less trapped humidity and is less inviting to nesting by rodents (mice like enclosed, dark spaces) and will not (potentially) scratch like a cover put on/taken off.

Pick your poison!

I will echo what others have already said, but the bottom line is this:  Taking a cover on and off will scratch.  Maybe not deeply or every time, but it will.  Been there, done that.  Also, if it's outside, the wind will blow and the cover will move around, potentially scratching even more.  Light scratches are better than UV damaged interiors and faded paint, but you have to decide what's best for your circumstances.  I don't cover any of my cars.....some live inside, some live outside, some go in and out as space dictates.  Keep 'em sealed/waxed/protected and they will clean up very easy.  

Now, back to your original post......the car is indoors?  I wouldn't cover it unless it's a severe environment.  Is the garage occupied by other daily driven cars?  Kids?  Workshop?   If it's just gonna sit there by itself, I certainly wouldn't cover it.  It's already "covered" by virtue of the fact that it's indoors.  You've already done the right thing to get it out of the elements.  If there will be activity around the car, then it's going to get dusty more easily and maybe one of the satin indoor only covers would suit your needs.  

Covercraft, again as suggested previously, is pretty much the go to brand and they have quite a few to choose from.

Whatever you choose to do, buy a good cover.  Like many other things in the world today, you get what you pay for.  Put it on and take it off as little as possible.  Keep it from touching the ground, etc.  Get some help when possible to avoid dragging it around on the vehicle's surface as best as possible.  

- Darryl

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. My wife's daily driver will also be parked in the garage so the door will be opened and closed for her to go in and out throughout the winter.  This is my main reason to get the cover is to keep the outside off of it for the short periods of time the garage door gets opened.  Not to mention, the cover will also add a little extra insurance as my wife gets her bags out of the car from work.  I ended up ordering the covercraft dustop cover.   Now I need to finally decide on a winter beater.  Shopping for a cheap car that is somewhat dependable is a tough chore.

Edited by ouhockeyplayer

I bought a Noah Covercraft car cover, I use it daily for 10 years, the best way to use one is to make sure the car is cleaned. I use a California Duster, to dust of the car in the morning and in the evening, then I do a quick wipe with Adams detail spray or waterless wash. I don't like the thin car covers because those are only indoor use, the cover I have is bulky but once you learn how to fold it, it's not so bulky and is easy on and off process.

The Noah car cover is thick and help protect the car. I bought mine through AutoAnything because they always have a sale for 20% off and their prices are better than going through Covercraft.i don't mind the xtra work of using a car cover becuae I enjoy my car therapy sessions.

So bottom line it's up to you, and your own maintenance routine and habits of taking care of your finish.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. My wife's daily driver will also be parked in the garage so the door will be opened and closed for her to go in and out throughout the winter.  This is my main reason to get the cover is to keep the outside off of it for the short periods of time the garage door gets opened.  Not to mention, the cover will also add a little extra insurance as my wife gets her bags out of the car from work.  I ended up ordering the covercraft dustop cover.   Now I need to finally decide on a winter beater.  Shopping for a cheap car that is somewhat dependable is a tough chore.

Since you need protection from other this in the garage, you will need a thicker car cover, here is a link and use code SCARY79 for 20% off

http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/60A1009A0A0.aspx