Customer Service 866.965.0400

Does a Hand Application Still Work Good?

BobMcC81

Question

I have used Adams Products with the power polisher application method with great success.  My new daily driver is a 5 month old Jeep Wrangler.  There is not much paint area and ALOT of adjoining trim on the Wrangler vehicles. I can remove some of it for a detail and tape off others but I'm considering doing the detail by hand to contain the product better.

I'm looking for opinions as to whether I can get as good of a shine and protection with a hand application. I'm not looking for a show car shine but I do like the pop and I like the protection Adams product has given me in the past.

The vehicle was manufactured in April of this year so paint is about 6 months old with 5 months of that daily driving.

I plan to:

• Wash
  • Clay
  • Revive Polish
  • Buttery Wax

Thank you for your thoughts and comments?

10 answers to this question

You can definitely get a good application by hand. I usually do my last step by hand as opposed to machine. The revive polish is actually designed as a hand polish, but you may find it works as a cleaner as well when applied by machine.

Buttery can go either way.

As for the trim, I'd suggest applying VRT to all the trim (or maybe the ceramic trim coating is up your alley) prior to any polishing/waxing steps. This will save you a lot of tape and removal while allowing for easy wipe off of any product that gets on the trim as you go.

Edited by medic001918

You should not have any problem with what you have listed that you want to use. I have done my full size 2013 GMC Sierra when I had it with Revive by hand to get ride of water marks just using the hand applicator. You will be fine.

This is the applicator I used. http://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/buffing-pads-applicators/adam-s-blue-hex-grip-applicator.html

Edited by BluedogGMC

I don't see the point in waxing/sealing with the machine.  With a good applicator setup it takes within two or three minutes to do it via hand or machine.  Take out he machine setup time and then it's even.

I use the Liquid Paint Sealant and I apply it by hand all the time, in fact I have never used a polisher to apply it.  It works great!

What applicator do you use to apply the liquid paint sealant? The video for the product just showed a machine polisher. Thanks

What applicator do you use to apply the liquid paint sealant? The video for the product just showed a machine polisher. Thanks

In addition to the Microfiber Applicator Pads that Chris linked above, you can also use the Red Hex Grip Applicator.  I prefer these, since the better defined edge of the foam pad seems to give me more control when applying the sealant next to trim.

Wranglers are super challenging to detail well, especially by machine.   I used to have a regular customer with a Wrangler Unlimited soft top.  I could polish maybe 90% of the surface by machine, the rest had to be done by hand.

I used a lot of 3" pads and 3M blue tape.   No way to get around some of the trim and pieces of a Wrangler without going small.   Protect everything you can, use products that don't stain trim, work the tight areas by hand.  

Buttery Wax doesn't have much durability.   I'd use a sealant, or at least a tough paste wax.

Not an easy car to detail.  Plus, the carpets held onto dirt like it was holding a winning lottery ticket.

Edited by BretFraz