Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ink stain on Dash

VCoop

Question

New to the forum , but have been using Adams Car Wash and Wax products for many yrs

I have a 2014 Ford Flex Limited with Dune interior and have a large ink stain on the passenger side  beige dash panel .  Is there a product that will remove ink ?  I've tried , goo gone and a magic eraser with some help, but is still there.   

Vic 

12 answers to this question

Here are 4 options.  My wife says the first one works. 

1. Spray the ink spot with hairspray. Let it sit for about a minute, but do not let it dry. ...
  2. Remove the stain with rubbing alcohol if hairspray does not work. ...
  3. Lift deeper-set ink stains with nail polish remover. ...
  4. Apply aerosol brake parts cleaner to deep ink stains.

Here are 4 options. My wife says the first one works.

• Spray the ink spot with hairspray. Let it sit for about a minute, but do not let it dry. ...
  • Remove the stain with rubbing alcohol if hairspray does not work. ...
  • Lift deeper-set ink stains with nail polish remover. ...
  • Apply aerosol brake parts cleaner to deep ink stains.

How many of these remove all of the color from the dash at the same time? The last 2 especially seem pretty harsh.

Hand sanitizer usually does wonders on ink.

Agreed!  

As for the four I mentioned, the hairspray should be all you need.  But with anything that you use, test it on an unseen area first.  I forgot about the hand sanitizer.  That does work well (probably the alcohol in it)

I would be worried about the steam causing the glue to separate on the dash, but seems very effective though. Like every method, test in a hidden spot first.

You raise a good point about the glue. Think of a steamer like a polisher in terms of requiring constant movement. If you hold your steamer in one spot and continuously wipe, you will have problems. Similar to holding your polisher in one spot. Keep it moving so you're removing a little bit at a time and you're good to go. There's a lot of good information on using steamers to clean interiors out there. It's an available option. There are ideas here I hadn't heard and seem like they'd work well. Might try using some of them next time.

Thanks for the replies.  This is on the plastic cover above the glove box.  My biggest concern is removing the "grain" from the plastic.

I completely forgot about the hairspray trick.  I will try that and the hand sanitizer.   If that doesn't work , I'll post a pic of the spot.   

Vic

One thing's for sure, once you get the stain out, be sure and clean the whole area, and then treat it real good with Leather Conditioner.  You're taking moisture out and you'll need to replace it.