Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best Recipe for Black Paint

ACRCAR

Like the title states, I am looking for the BEST Adams recipe for black paint.  Looking to do a full detail on my 997.1 and am wondering what the best combo would be.  Going to start with a strip wash, and I am going to clay the car.  Thereafter, I would like to give it the ultimate shine.

Any suggestions?  I want to go full tilt on this thing.  I would like to layer as many products as much as possible to get the greatest, wettest shine possible.

Like the title states, I am looking for the BEST Adams recipe for black paint.  Looking to do a full detail on my 997.1 and am wondering what the best combo would be.  Going to start with a strip wash, and I am going to clay the car.  Thereafter, I would like to give it the ultimate shine.

Any suggestions?  I want to go full tilt on this thing.  I would like to layer as many products as much as possible to get the greatest, wettest shine possible.

Here is the actual car.

post-11908-0-61617800-1478184675_thumb.jpg

Here's my take...

-Strip wash

-Clay

-Polish (least aggressive to most depending on the paint)

-Glaze (or Sealant first)

-Sealant (or Glaze second)

-Two thin coats of wax

-VRT all the trim and top...or you can go wild and ceramic coat the trim

-Metal polish the exhaust tips

-H2O Guard & Gloss the wheels & calipers

-Tire shine

-Glass cleaner

-Glass sealant

Put sunglasses on and admire your work.

Here's my take...

-Strip wash

-Clay

-Two thin coats of wax

-Tire shine

-Glass cleaner

-Glass sealant

I was actually thinking of doing exactly what you just stated except for the H2O Guard & Gloss on the wheels and calipers.  Didn't even think of using that on there.  I typically use the Quick Sealant on the rims.  Seems to work really well.

Are there any other products I can layer in there after the polish, sealant, glaze and during the waxing phase?

Thank you for the tip!

The H2O Guard & Gloss is a much easier application on the wheels I find.  Spray on and wipe off with the wet towel, then buff dry.  It has to be one of the fastest ways to seal your wheels.  I've grown to prefer it over the quick sealant for wheels since you can see exactly where you've touched and haven't, and it seems to hold up a little better for me.  Your mileage may vary.

There isn't really a reason to layer in more products.  And none come to mind.  The sealant provides long lasting protection.  The glaze is a great appearance enhancing product.  And it's all locked in with two layers of wax (Patriot is my go to for my garage queen, Americana for all others but I haven't tried the new Americana yet).  If you layer too many products in, you run the risk of getting a haze in your finish.  Sometimes less really is more. 

The H2O Guard & Gloss is a much easier application on the wheels I find.  Spray on and wipe off with the wet towel, then buff dry.  It has to be one of the fastest ways to seal your wheels.  I've grown to prefer it over the quick sealant for wheels since you can see exactly where you've touched and haven't, and it seems to hold up a little better for me.  Your mileage may vary.

There isn't really a reason to layer in more products.  And none come to mind.  The sealant provides long lasting protection.  The glaze is a great appearance enhancing product.  And it's all locked in with two layers of wax (Patriot is my go to for my garage queen, Americana for all others but I haven't tried the new Americana yet).  If you layer too many products in, you run the risk of getting a haze in your finish.  Sometimes less really is more. 

Good point.  I think I'll stick with the recipe laid out above and try to H2O G&G on the wheels.

Thanks again!

I was actually thinking of doing exactly what you just stated except for the H2O Guard & Gloss on the wheels and calipers.  Didn't even think of using that on there.  I typically use the Quick Sealant on the rims.  Seems to work really well.

Are there any other products I can layer in there after the polish, sealant, glaze and during the waxing phase?

Thank you for the tip!

If you still have QS I would indeed use it on your wheels!

After I polish, do I remove the polish prior to laying down the paint sealant?  Do I remove the paint sealant before laying down the Glaze? Does everything get layered on top of everything else, or is it most beneficial to remove at certain stages and then carry on with the next product(s)?

If it were me, I'd give it a few days rest before applying anything over the top of Paint Sealant. The newer formula doesn't require a long time to cure, but it will hold it's own for a few days until your next wash. That's when I'd go to town with HGG and wax.

Here's my take...

-Strip wash

-Clay

Wipe down with Adam's Revive Hand Poish

-Two thin coats of wax

-Tire shine

-Glass cleaner

-Glass sealant

If your are  looking for the most you can get from the Adam's products I would add one more thing - Wipe the car down with Adam's Revive Hand Polish after the machine polish.  It is chemical polish, not an abrasive polish, and does a great job at cleaning the paint before adding your LSP.

Edited by mc2hill

You suggested to put VRT on a canvas top?

I would not put VRT on that canvas top, you will need to go to your local Porsche dealer and buy their canvas cleaner and scrub the top with a soft horse hair brush and then put the Porsche canvas treatment to protect the membrane of the convertible.

No need to go to the "stealership" to buy cleaning products.  Get yourself some RaggTopp cleaner and spray protectant.  You can get both items in a kit.  I use it (and sell it) for all of my customer cars as well for both my 996 Cabrio and 968 Cabrio.  Give me a ring or PM if you have questions on the top.

Black is tough......once you get it polished and sealed, touch it as little as possible.  For the "best" shine, I like two coats of LPS as a base, then you can simply maintain with HGG and every so often, hit it with a coat of wax or glaze as a top coat.  But again, be careful how much you're rubbing on it.  Having a couple of layers on there will help reduce swirls but not prevent them completely.  It's black......

Edited by Odds and Ends

No need to go to the "stealership" to buy cleaning products.  Get yourself some RaggTopp cleaner and spray protectant.  You can get both items in a kit.  I use it (and sell it) for all of my customer cars as well for both my 996 Cabrio and 968 Cabrio.  Give me a ring or PM if you have questions on the top.

Black is tough......once you get it polished and sealed, touch it as little as possible.  For the "best" shine, I like two coats of LPS as a base, then you can simply maintain with HGG and every so often, hit it with a coat of wax or glaze as a top coat.  But again, be careful how much you're rubbing on it.  Having a couple of layers on there will help reduce swirls but not prevent them completely.  It's black......

I already cleaned and treated the top with RaggTopp cleaner and protectant.  I would never put VRT on there.  The rest of the car has been done.  Now I just need to focus on the paint. 

Thanks for the tips and suggestions everyone.

Ok so I just finished with a looong day of detailing. So far I did the following:

Washed, Clayed, Polished (x2), VRT'd trim & LPS. Letting the car cure until tomorrow. My question is should I now go for Glaze and follow that up with a coat of Americana, or is the Americana a waste of time at this point?