Customer Service 866.965.0400

Storing adams products in the winter

mike c4

Question

12 answers to this question

I brought all my products in for the winter because freezing will affect the performance of the products.

I would highly advise you to bring your products in for the winter. But if you have a heated garage you are probably ok.

Several schools of thought on this. Some bring them in regardless of a heated garage or not, others don't.

I brought my chemicals inside, but mainly because I was afraid I'd forget to close the garage and the stuff would freeze while I was dreaming of my next detail. I have an attached garage and well-insulated doors, though, so it generally doesn't get below ~40-45` in there, even in the coldest of CO winters. I'm pretty sure the story would be different if I had a detached garage, older style doors, etc.

To store the products, I bought some black, inexpensive plastic shelves from good ole Harbor Freight - they work like a charm, and are deep enough to hold 4 16oz bottles or 3 32oz bottles.

I'm also looking to get a cleaning supply caddy to transport the bottles from the downstairs and/or to the coin op wash, but haven't found one I like yet. Well, that's not exactly true. I have my eyes on the red one that's been under the kitchen sink forever...it's just begging for an Adam's sticker! B) But I don't want the wife to give me (yet another!) funny look.  :blink:

Several schools of thought on this. Some bring them in regardless of a heated garage or not, others don't.

I brought my chemicals inside, but mainly because I was afraid I'd forget to close the garage and the stuff would freeze while I was dreaming of my next detail. I have an attached garage and well-insulated doors, though, so it generally doesn't get below ~40-45` in there, even in the coldest of CO winters. I'm pretty sure the story would be different if I had a detached garage, older style doors, etc.

To store the products, I bought some black, inexpensive plastic shelves from good ole Harbor Freight - they work like a charm, and are deep enough to hold 4 16oz bottles or 3 32oz bottles.

I'm also looking to get a cleaning supply caddy to transport the bottles from the downstairs and/or to the coin op wash, but haven't found one I like yet. Well, that's not exactly true. I have my eyes on the red one that's been under the kitchen sink forever...it's just begging for an Adam's sticker! B) But I don't want the wife to give me (yet another!) funny look.  :blink:

There really should not be several schools of thought on this. Some chemicals do not play well with prolonged exposure to extreme cold or heat. Move them into a room temperature environment whenever possible.

From this FAQ: http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/17083-faq-do-the-products-have-a-shelf-life/

TEMPERATURE - Products should be stored in a temperature controlled environment whenever possible. If your garage dips below 40* in the winter months or sees temps north of 85-90* in the summer it would be in your best interest to store the products indoors. Heat and cold will have a dramatic impact on some products, can alter their composition, and even render them useless or ineffective.

...There really should not be several schools of thought on this. Some chemicals do not play well with prolonged exposure to extreme cold or heat. Move them into a room temperature environment whenever possible.

Totally agree!

There really should not be several schools of thought on this. Some chemicals do not play well with prolonged exposure to extreme cold or heat. Move them into a room temperature environment whenever possible.

From this FAQ: http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/17083-faq-do-the-products-have-a-shelf-life/

TEMPERATURE - Products should be stored in a temperature controlled environment whenever possible. If your garage dips below 40* in the winter months or sees temps north of 85-90* in the summer it would be in your best interest to store the products indoors. Heat and cold will have a dramatic impact on some products, can alter their composition, and even render them useless or ineffective.

Thanks for the correction, Dan.

I was pretty much referring to the temp swings as forming the "schools of thought." In other words, if no dramatic swings are experienced in the owner's garage, those owners may not need to bring them inside. But to be on the safe side, bringing them inside is a good idea (unless your significant other likes it as an oven inside, like mine!).

Still, my apologies for any confusion I caused other readers. Happy storing!

With some of the points that have been brought up, I'll likely be storing my products in my basement all year round. My detached garage is at the mercy of mother nature for temperature regulation and it isn't insulated to provide any kind of buffer.

My garage is the same. ALL of my car care chemicals are stored inside the house. Heated in the winter, central AC in the summer. I also shield them from direct sunlight.

Edited by LT1xL82

My garage is the same. ALL of my car care chemicals are stored inside the house. Heated in the winter, central AC in the summer. I also shield them from direct sunlight.

My garage doesn't have windows so no worries about sunlight for me but living in upstate NY, we don't have the warmest or longest of summers but when we do have heat, it is hot. Wouldn't doubt if my garage easily reached over 100 F on those days. The humidity is what I'd worry about the most though. Even when it's not hot, it's usually humid

Edited by SumBeach35