Customer Service 866.965.0400

Any protection on my new car already?

modawg2k

Question

Bought a brand new 2017 Pacifica about a month ago and I was curious what kind of protection (if any) do new cars get from the manufacture or dealerships?  I did not purchase any add-on paint protection markup from the dealer so assume that is not on there.

Really depends on the dealer and or manufacturer. At my shop, we are all high line German cars, and all new and used cars get detailed before being sold. But the wife bought a VW from another dealer up the road and it had zero protection on it. They just pull the protective material and wash it. 

Bought a brand new 2017 Pacifica about a month ago and I was curious what kind of protection (if any) do new cars get from the manufacture or dealerships?  I did not purchase any add-on paint protection markup from the dealer so assume that is not on there.

Probably has paint overspray on it too.  My new car had it pretty bad (but Stingray paint jobs are not the best feature of the car).  I'd strip wash and clay bar it before using your wax of choice.  Plus it's a new car, you know you want to spoil it.

Like others said, I would assume zero protection.  In fact, I think all new cars should receive at least a "new car prep" detail.  You may or may not need polishing.  But you would at the least want a strip wash, paint decontamination and clay before rebuilding whatever finish you want on it.  My preference is a coating or to do sealant, glaze and two coats of paste wax.  Your preference on the layering of product.  The prep is the same.

I work at a Cadillac dealership and it pains me to say this but they do nothing but damage the finish when they are sold. They get ran through a automatic car wash, and stick it in this "wax" machine thats drys it as well, or so they say. Ive worked at others were they would actually wax it but i wouldnt rely on it by any means. I would highly Recommend washing claying polishing and then using whatever your preference is as far as protection. Most cars come in from shipping with lots of rail dust, swirls, and overspray.

Nothing probably. I would treat it as a blank canvas and just start with a strip wash, clay, correction if needed, seal/wax.  And if they washed/waxed it, have fun with the swirl marks.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sugar

I'm kind of looking for a correct answer so I'll avoid asking the dealer  :lol:

Correct answer then would be no. Better safe than sorry. Assume the worst and hope for the best. *Insert other quotes that apply*. 

Just clay, correct and seal and be done with it.

You really cant go wrong with the Adams Clay. Its the best ive ever used. The geo impression tool is a really cool feature and i actually havent dropped a clay bar with it (went through one to many clay bars by dropping them before the tool) Claying a new car like yours shouldn't take you to long as it is new compaired to a 5yr old car that has never seen a clay bar.

Would recommend watching the video on the clay bar if you're unsure about anything.

I work at a Cadillac dealership and it pains me to say this but they do nothing but damage the finish when they are sold. They get ran through a automatic car wash, and stick it in this "wax" machine thats drys it as well, or so they say. Ive worked at others were they would actually wax it but i wouldnt rely on it by any means. I would highly Recommend washing claying polishing and then using whatever your preference is as far as protection. Most cars come in from shipping with lots of rail dust, swirls, and overspray.

Yes, I watched in horror one day while the "detail crew" washed another customer's car with a dirty bucket and bristled brush attached to a broomstick. And then did touch-up drying with paper towels. I still have nightmares about it. Generally, dealers just have too much volume to do the kind of detail that anyone on this forum would prefer. Unless, you are buying some kind of rare, specialty car, this is sadly the norm. Agree, no protection is on your car. Just dealer installed defects.

Yes, I watched in horror one day while the "detail crew" washed another customer's car with a dirty bucket and bristled brush attached to a broomstick. And then did touch-up drying with paper towels. I still have nightmares about it. Generally, dealers just have too much volume to do the kind of detail that anyone on this forum would prefer. Unless, you are buying some kind of rare, specialty car, this is sadly the norm. Agree, no protection is on your car. Just dealer installed defects.

When I first started there i worked in the detail department and cringed when I saw how they "washed" cars. On my second day i brought my personal Adam's stuff in and washed it the right way. Everyone laughed but when someone needed a car cleaned they came to me. Did that for about 6 months But using my own stuff got expensive among other things so i got hired into the paint shop and now i get to deal with them ruining my fresh paint jobs.

speaking of needing a detail. This Bentley came off the delivery truck like this. Basically they pulled the protective cover off and bam, factory installed swirls. Our detail guys hate doing them, because Bentleys are the most work to correct. There were at least 4 different sections of beautiful swirls from a rotary polisher. And thats black paint. 

8588C147-82B8-46AE-86C1-2B8E780F010A_zps

Edited by DREWBUSH

speaking of needing a detail. This Bentley came off the delivery truck like this. Basically they pulled the protective cover off and bam, factory installed swirls. Our detail guys hate doing them, because Bentleys are the most work to correct. There were at least 4 different sections of beautiful swirls from a rotary polisher. And thats black paint. 

8588C147-82B8-46AE-86C1-2B8E780F010A_zps

OH MY GOD..... That is...wow im honestly speechless. I feel really sorry for those detail guys.

Man I really got lucky I guess.  Last two cars I purchased were swirl free (Camaro and Corvette).  The Camaro was even black.  Now my buddiy's new Mazda looks like someone at the dealership thought a swirl patterned paint job would be a cool look.

Though on the original topic neither Chevy's had any paint protection on them. 

Really depends on the dealer and or manufacturer. At my shop, we are all high line German cars, and all new and used cars get detailed before being sold. But the wife bought a VW from another dealer up the road and it had zero protection on it. They just pull the protective material and wash it​ provide the dealer-installed swirls.

Fixed. :D