Customer Service 866.965.0400

Minimize wash and dry scratches on black paint

Greg from GA

Question

So I finally got both of my black cars where I want them paint correction-wise as seen in previous posts.  Now that that is all out of the way which of these two washing routines do you think would cause less scratches over time:

1. In Adam's video, he uses the foam gun (I use the cannon in my scenario) and leaves that soap on the vehicle to do his two bucket wash over that saying that gun soap offers more protection for the two bucket wash.

2. My way is to pressure washer remove the cannon soap before doing the two bucket wash.  Seems like I am removing the things that would scratch before doing the two bucket wash.

In both scenarios, blasted air dry then finish off with drying towels - CAREFULLY!

"6 of one, half dozen of the other" or a stronger opinion than that?

Not my pic - just added for inspiration  :D

post-15699-0-60953100-1490882097.jpeg

Edited by greglege

23 answers to this question

When I use the cannon I give it a blast first with just water ( applying your method for removing what could cause scratches) then I'll hit the paint with the soap cannon and follow with the 2bm. To me this will remove any larger debris first then add the extra lubricant while touching the paint. It's easier for me to see if there's anything left on the paint without the toam

Edited by vobro

Why not combine the two?

Foam, rinse with pressure washer, then foam again and two bucket wash.

Wow, that's a scary pic!

Sure, thing Mr. Soap Salesman!  jk I end up over soaping it anyways just to use up the soap from one cannon full so that should work fine based on my existing product usage - good idea.

I too would agree with Ed's idea since just like you I have left over soap after my initial foam, so that would work well.

Also I would suggest switching from a 2 bucket wash, to a single bucket multiple mitts or microfiber towels. This is the method I use and it works really well. Since you can't be sure that 100% of the contaminants will come off the pad when scrubbing on the grit guard. Since you want to be extra safe, this method will definitely help with that.

Edited by jakerodz7

I too would agree with Ed's idea since just like you I have left over soap after my initial foam, so that would work well.

Also I would suggest switching from a 2 bucket wash, to a single bucket multiple mitts or microfiber towels. This is the method I use and it works really well. Since you can't be sure that 100% of the contaminants will come off the pad when scrubbing on the grit guard. Since you want to be extra safe, this method will definitely help with that.

Oh man you just rationalized the fact that somehow I ended up with Adams 3 wash pads and 1 Adams wash mitt - 2 still in the plastic.  so I will go to single bucket.  Thanks!

Oh man you just rationalized the fact that somehow I ended up with Adams 3 wash pads and 1 Adams wash mitt - 2 still in the plastic.  so I will go to single bucket.  Thanks!

Happy to help brother, I think you'll find the multiple pad method to your liking, and a bit quicker than the 2 bucket method. Also, with the 1 bucket method you don't need a grit guard in your bucket so you'll be able to use all the soapy water in the bucket.

What I do is foam, rinse, foam and then use 4 mitts to wash the whole car/truck. After that rinse, detail spray and then dry. I use 4mitts, might seem a overkill but I rather be safe than sorry. Adams gritt guard is awesome but just another way to avoid scratches.

Stronger opinion: Repaint them white. ;)

Seriously, though, I think the overwhelming guidance can be summarized as "lots of lubrication with the best products + high quality MF = lowest chance of swirls." And you'll likely adapt your own method using combined inputs from experts on here. With black, ylaw you probably know, you'll just have to accept some swirls along the way as a part of life. After all, that's what keeps Adam's in business!

Everyone above knocked it out of the park with the advice, but I'll add my own personal experience.

The two bucket method is obsolete. You need a single bucket with multiple mitts so that a dirty wash mitt never touches your clean wash water again. If you think about it, the two bucket method is an overly-complicated way of solving a problem that is really easy to just avoid altogether by simply using a single bucket and extra wash mitts. 4-5 mitts will work for most cars.

Also, the foam gun (or foam cannon) is the absolute best thing I ever invested in to avoid scratches on black paint. That alone will reduce swirls by about 90%, and I'm saying that as an owner of a car with very soft black paint that I had to polish every three months - even when using the two bucket method - before buying a foam cannon.

And as mentioned above, I would foam the car an extra time after foaming / rinsing initially so that you're not touching "dry" paint. You already have the extra soap left over, and any steps you can take to add lubrication to your mitt are certainly not going to harm anything.

Edited by jp2015

I agree the multi- towel/wash mitt in a single bucket for a wash/ This way you never reintroduce the used mitt back in the wash media.

I was always a little more cautious than most with two bucket as I hosed off the used mitt very well BEFORE dunking and scrubbing against the grit guard anyway.

Now i use several wash mitts.

But then how do you assure that you get them clean afterward? Even a machine wash may not be enough.

Anytime you touch the paint you risk scratching it.

Foam gun or after the initial blast with water I spray WW on the whole car before doing a two bucket wash, this makes your paint super slick. Less friction less chance of scratching. One more tip is add extra shampoo to your wash mitt.Then dry with the Master Blaster.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/specials/sub-category-1/adam-s-new-standard-foam-gun-32oz.html

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/brushes/adam-s-master-blaster-revolution.html

Sounds like that 1 bucket with multiple mitts could cause problems too unless you have 8-10 mitts. If the vehicle is only moderately dirty. You would need to flip to a clean side or a new mitt every panel or so. Seems like that would be pretty annoying and time consuming. Guess I'll give it a try and see.

Edited by Ls1transam

Sounds like that 1 bucket with multiple mitts could cause problems too unless you have 8-10 mitts. If the vehicle is only moderately dirty. You would need to flip to a clean side or a new mitt every panel or so. Seems like that would be pretty annoying and time consuming. Guess I'll give it a try and see.

This (Garry Dean aka Bucket of Towels) method does indeed take a lot of wash media. You can use wash mitts, wash pads (with a huge bucket!  :D), microfiber towels... MF towels folded in quarters 8 fresh surfaces each. They work really well.

When doing bucket washes, I have been doing 2-bucket with grit guards, washboards, and hosing off the wash pad before using the rinse bucket. I'm switching over to the bucket of towels.

Foam gun or after the initial blast with water I spray WW on the whole car before doing a two bucket wash, this makes your paint super slick. Less friction less chance of scratching. One more tip is add extra shampoo to your wash mitt.Then dry with the Master Blaster.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/specials/sub-category-1/adam-s-new-standard-foam-gun-32oz.html

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/brushes/adam-s-master-blaster-revolution.html

So you spray down with Waterless, let it sit for a couple minutes, then rinse it off? No scrubbing, right? Thanks!

So you spray down with Waterless, let it sit for a couple minutes, then rinse it off? No scrubbing, right? Thanks!

I read Chris's post that the waterless wash adds more lubricity to the surface and helps lessen the chance of the wash media causing scratches during the wash process.