Customer Service 866.965.0400

How necessary is paint sealant

mathews31

Question

So about a month ago I paint corrected parts of my car, but at the time I didn't have any paint sealant. A few days ago I Was applying some detail spray to my trunk and notices a whole mess of swirls that weren't there after I paint corrected. I've only used Adam's towels on them and I feel like it might be cause I never used paint sealant...I'm trying to gauge if anyone has really noticed anything crazy with the use or lack of use of paint sealant. Also I did apply G&G as a substitute to the paint sealant.

11 answers to this question

Paint sealant isn't really a protection against swirls other than by layering products you create a thicker barrier before getting down to your paint.  I use sealant on nearly every vehicle unless someone simply wants a quick touch up like before trading a car in.  The G&G should have acted as a sealant in the absence of the normal sealant.

Swirls can come from anywhere I've found.  There can be no rhyme or reason to how they arrived.  Sadly, it's the nature of the business.

Shane is right, very generally swirls come from touching of the paint by something abrasive. That can be improper washing (not saying that is what it was), someone rubbed along the vehicle while parked, something lite (a plastic bag) blew across the paint while driving at speed, no proof, but I feel like excessive dirt build up could swirls a soft paint in the rain as it rinses off when driving.

What they said /\ /\

But I'd like to add that you might not have noticed the swirls (i.e. Not proper lighting) when you were correcting, and maybe you didn't get all the swirls out.

H20G&G is good but not as good or as long lasting as paint sealant, some people do both for more layers of protection.

I would get the sealant. Like above, I use it on every customers car unless they are selling it or it's a show car.

Lighting definitely make a difference. I can make a vehicle "eye clean" meaning you don't see swirls when it's outside. If I shine my direct lights on the vehicle, you can see it all. For most details, the clean in ambient light is what I'm going for. For higher end work or those who want to pay for it, I'll work it even harder to make it clean in the harsh direct light.

My relationship with the lightstands is very much love-hate.

Paint sealant will not protect against swirls, that would be contaminates rubbing against the finish. That can be done by several means and even just things like a plastic bag blowing across your car in a parking lot. Paint Sealant is a great way to protect from water spots and bug guts but nothing can really prevent swirls in the paint until you talk about things like ceramic or other types of coatings or wrapping cars in a type of protective film. 

Personally I love the sealant as a base layer of protection after a good cleaning and correction/decon as needed to then apply some other products over on my daily drivers. 

So what does it protect if not swirls...LOL

Paint sealant will not protect against swirls, that would be contaminates rubbing against the finish. That can be done by several means and even just things like a plastic bag blowing across your car in a parking lot. Paint Sealant is a great way to protect from water spots and bug guts but nothing can really prevent swirls in the paint until you talk about things like ceramic or other types of coatings or wrapping cars in a type of protective film. 

Personally I love the sealant as a base layer of protection after a good cleaning and correction/decon as needed to then apply some other products over on my daily drivers. 

As the more people above you posted, sealant won't protect from swirls. Sealant protects the paint/clear coat from UV rays from the sun, bug guts, water marks/etching, etc.
It's a layer of protection. Daily driver must have (the sealant) along with HGG.

Edited by Rich

So what does it protect if not swirls...LOL

The sealant provides an extra layer of protection against the elements before it gets to your paint and clear coat.  Think things like water spots, iron contamination, etc.  Any microabrasives (since abrasion is really what causes swirls) will still be able to get through it and down to the paint causing damage.  Even coatings can be swirled or scratched, they're just harder to do so than the paint/clear coat.

The sealant provides an extra layer of protection against the elements before it gets to your paint and clear coat.  Think things like water spots, iron contamination, etc.  Any microabrasives (since abrasion is really what causes swirls) will still be able to get through it and down to the paint causing damage.  Even coatings can be swirled or scratched, they're just harder to do so than the paint/clear coat.

Thanks for the information, I put some on my roof last night so we'll see what happens