Customer Service 866.965.0400

1st Full Detail

slapshot87

Question

Hi, all-

I'm planning on doing my first full detail tomorrow on my DD - strip wash, Visco clay bar, Liquid Paint Sealant, Glass Sealant, H2O G&G, Interior Detailer, etc. - and I just have a couple basic questions for those of you who are more experienced.

1.  I know to use plenty of Detail Spray as a clay lubricant, but once I'm finished with the clay, should I rinse it off with water prior to placing it back into its container?  Leave on it whatever amount of Detail Spray is present?  Dry it off?  I've never used clay previously - I don't want it to dry out or break down in any way after use while it's being stored in its container.

2.  I'll be manually applying Liquid Paint Sealant with the grey microfiber applicator pads that came with the kit configuration I purchased.  Do you think that two applicator pads will be enough for a small SUV?  I've ordered some additional pads to have on-hand but at the moment, I only have the two (as well as a separate one, of course, for the Glass Sealant).  Once the pads get loaded with product, I'm not sure if it'll become difficult to continue to put down a thin, even layer of sealant and I just don't want to find myself in a position where I'm struggling simply because I don't have enough supplies on-hand.

3.  Can the microfiber applicator pads be cleaned & reused after applying Liquid Paint Sealant?  Or should I just view them as 'disposable' - one-time use only? 

Thank you in advance for any input!  :)

Edited by slapshot87

19 answers to this question

1. I usually just put it back in the container with a squirt of detail spray to keep it moist til next time.

2. I have a full size SUV (Toyota 4Runner) and I usually use one side of a gray microfiber applicator. Remember, less is better. You shouldn't be filling up the applicator with product.

3. I suppose you could clean them with APC or MFR, but they're so cheap that I just toss them after each side has been used.

Good luck and post pics!

1. I usually just put it back in the container with a squirt of detail spray to keep it moist til next time.

2. I have a full size SUV (Toyota 4Runner) and I usually use one side of a gray microfiber applicator. Remember, less is better. You shouldn't be filling up the applicator with product.

3. I suppose you could clean them with APC or MFR, but they're so cheap that I just toss them after each side has been used.

Good luck and post pics!

What Dustin said is spot on. The only thing I would add is you can reuse the applicators if you want to. I just toss mine in the washing machine with the towels I used yo remove the paint sealant. They've held together very well and have cleaned out very well.

Dustin alluded to it, but I'll take it a step further on the clay. You will be stretching and folding, stretching and folding, etc., so the contaminants, DS, etc, will become encapsulated in the clay. No need to dry it off or anything. You'll also notice the bar will become larger over time, and that's because of all that stuff now inside. But definitely put it back in the container. If you haven't already, watch Adam's video on the claying process for some tips.

And yes, please post some pics!

Evergone has pretty much covered the topics, but I fully concur on washing the applicator. I use a microfiber wash (non Adams) and I let them air dry. As stated before also, you will use only one side and really want to do thin layering of lps. Personally I find it also easier to wipe off glazes or sealants in the sun, but that's my personal preference. Post some pics when you get done! :)

Thanks, Chris & Jeff, for the additional info.  I have watched the clay video a couple of times at this point just to make sure that I do everything correctly (all of the videos are great and make it so much easier to successfully use the products - especially for someone like me who doesn't have a lot of experience). 

I never really thought about the clay increasing in size as it gets used - that makes sense though.  And I plan on being very conscious of folding & kneading the clay often.  Honestly, that is the part I'm most looking forward to tomorrow - using the clay bar.  I didn't know until somewhat recently what caused the roughness you could feel on the paint even after it was thoroughly washed - and I certainly didn't know how to remove (or at least lessen) it. 

I too have a non-Adam's microfiber wash solution that I'm currently using (purchased prior to finding Adam's).  It does a good job on my towels - I'll try it out on the pads as well and will see how they turn out.  If they don't turn out well for me, at least they only cost a couple bucks. 

Thanks again!  Hope you all have a nice evening!  :)

I always wash the vehicle after I clay it.

Definitely.  I plan to wash & dry it in order to get the clay residue off prior to applying the paint sealant.  Thanks for the reminder!

Edited by slapshot87

Definitely. I plan to wash & dry it in order to get the clay residue off prior to applying the paint sealant. Thanks for the reminder!

If you don't want to do another full wash, you can also use Revive Hand Polish or wipe down with Coating Prep before applying Paint Sealant.

I don't know how well received this comment will be but, instead of using detail spray as your clay lube, I've actually just re-foamed the car with soap and used that as a lubricant. I keep the wash pad handy for adding extra suds in case a panel needs extra attention. It's cheaper than detail spray and seems to work well for me.

If you don't want to do another full wash, you can also use Revive Hand Polish or wipe down with Coating Prep before applying Paint Sealant.

I do have a bottle of Revive on hand, but the full wash seems like it would be easier/faster since the paint at this point doesn't require polishing (that I can see anyway).  I will keep this info in mind for future reference though because I'm sure that I'll need to polish at some point - thank you, Dustin!

Just noticed, but no polish this time, Sherri?

50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water also works great to remove clay (and polish) residue. Use it with the WW towels, if you have some. Using this, I dont wash the car again before PS. Just a thought.

No polish this time, Chris.  The car is pretty new and from what I can see, it doesn't require polishing.  I've been very careful when washing/drying and fortunately, I haven't induced any swirls or scratches.  I do have a couple WW towels - no isopropanol on hand though but I will definitely pick some up for next time around.  This is a really good tip - thank you, Chris!

I don't know how well received this comment will be but, instead of using detail spray as your clay lube, I've actually just re-foamed the car with soap and used that as a lubricant. I keep the wash pad handy for adding extra suds in case a panel needs extra attention. It's cheaper than detail spray and seems to work well for me.

Interesting.  I do have plenty of Detail Spray on hand to allow for using it as my clay lube (and I just purchased another gallon during the current holiday sale), but I am certainly interested in ways to save a little extra money if an alternative method also works well.  Do you use Adam's car shampoo?  That's what I use - the blue kind (I don't have the 'throwback' red version).  Thanks for your input.

I appreciate any and all tips & suggestions - thank you guys for your expertise! 

I stick to this routine too when I need to clay. Instead of drying the car, I just use the existing suds unless they are too filthy, and clay with that. Saves a lot of detail spray and works great.

Interesting.  I do have plenty of Detail Spray on hand to allow for using it as my clay lube (and I just purchased another gallon during the current holiday sale), but I am certainly interested in ways to save a little extra money if an alternative method also works well.  Do you use Adam's car shampoo?  That's what I use - the blue kind (I don't have the 'throwback' red version).  Thanks for your input.

Indeed. Adams has the best car shampoo and that's what I use. It's also nice because it's pH neutral so you don't have to worry about it causing any issues if it dries on the surface. As mentioned, it works well for me and I've used it for claying purposes at least a half dozen times. Your mileage may vary. I like to save my detail spray for that extra pop after drying.  :wub:

Well, I completed my full detail yesterday - it took me all afternoon but I'm happy with the results.  Thanks again to everyone who responded within this thread - I really appreciate all of the pointers.

I tried really hard to get some pics that captured the glossy shine that I can see in person, but it was partially cloudy so the sun was in & out.  Plus, my vehicle is silver and I swear, lighter-colored cars are more difficult to photograph - it seems like all of the details get lost.

I don't drive anything fancy but, as promised, here you go:

post-15925-0-83778500-1499186826_thumb.jpg

post-15925-0-93627100-1499186839_thumb.jpg

post-15925-0-11788900-1499186855_thumb.jpg

post-15925-0-78330100-1499186867_thumb.jpg

Well done, Sherri! B) We own 2 Kias, so no worries about not driving anything "fancy"...as long as it shines, and even if it doesn't just yet, no judgement. We are all friends here!

For future reference, here's another good video on how to easily maintain your daily. It somewhat lines up with comments above about using water as extra clay lubricant:

It's looking fresh and that's all that matters, believe me to have my dream car or "fancy" car, my lease is almost as much as my mortgage! So I do appreciate nice cars, but I drove a Buick 2006 lacrosse before getting this AMG. Bottom line here is no matter what car you drive it's nice to see it looking good! :)

Bottom line here is no matter what car you drive it's nice to see it looking good! :)

I concur, Jeff - and thank you.  :D

On a side note, I currently live in an apartment complex and my building has a designated car wash area - just a place in the parking lot right outside my building with an external water hookup & hose.  So while it's not a covered area, it's certainly better than nothing - at least I can easily do bucket washes without having to drive somewhere else.  Anyway, I had to laugh at some of the looks I got from people (mostly men) as I was using my foam gun - that thing is awesome and totally fun to use!  I love it!