Customer Service 866.965.0400

The order of things / detail process

GiggleMon

Question

I'm wanting to do a full detail the family fleet of vehicles and I'm wanting to know the order of things on how to properly do the outside top yield the best results.

- Wash > Dry > Clay > Polish > Wax? - OR - Clay > Wash > Dry > Polish > Wax? OR Chris is a complete potato and is way off? Lol

Edited by GiggleMon

21 answers to this question

Just now, Beemer said:

Always wash first.

No need to dry before clay.

You MAY need to wash again after clay - just to get the clay residue off.  Or an isopropyl alcohol wipe might just do the trick.

Polish then wax is correct.

Take your time and enjoy it!

Awesome! Thanks man, I do appreciate it.

Roger got you in the right direction, the first time around it's: Wash > Clay > Dry (I rinse before drying to get off claying residue) > Polish > Wax.  

Have you considered a sealant? For drivers it's a more durable coat than any Wax.

Now after spending all the time to Handwash, Polish and Wax, it's imperative that you maintain that safe, swirl free finish by continuing to hand wash.  If that's not something you think you can maintain then I'd skip the polish and save your clear coat depth.

Edited by LSX Maestro

6 minutes ago, LSX Maestro said:

Roger got you in the right direction, the first time around it's: Wash > Clay > Dry (I rinse before drying to get off claying residue) > Polish > Wax.  

Have you considered a sealant? For drivers it's a more durable coat than any Wax.

Now after spending all the time to Handwash, Polish and Wax, it's imperative that you maintain that safe, swirl free finish by continuing to hand wash.  If that's not something you think you can maintain then I'd skip the polish and save your clear coat depth.

I had not considered a sealant - which one would you recommend?

I only handwash my vehicles and have no issue doing it on a weekly / bi-weekly basis.

3 minutes ago, GiggleMon said:

I had not considered a sealant - which one would you recommend?

I only handwash my vehicles and have no issue doing it on a weekly / bi-weekly basis.

Adam's Paint Sealant is easy to apply (by hand or use a machine to get a nice thin coat), and remove.  It can last up to 6 months by itself.

Yes, as mc2hill suggested, Paint Sealant is the better option for your daily drivers.  You can certainly add a coat of wax, too, just to add more shine, but the Paint Sealant should go on as the first layer. It will outlast the wax coating and as we approach the Winter, it's the best option to get you through 'til Spring.

7 minutes ago, ZMAN024 said:

Yes, as mc2hill suggested, Paint Sealant is the better option for your daily drivers.  You can certainly add a coat of wax, too, just to add more shine, but the Paint Sealant should go on as the first layer. It will outlast the wax coating and as we approach the Winter, it's the best option to get you through 'til Spring.

Fair enough - I will definitely do this.

With that being said - do you use the same pad to apply it? The grey one?

2 minutes ago, ZMAN024 said:

Yes, the LPS kit comes with (2) grey microfiber applicators and a MF towel to remove it once it has set up. 

So this is one you apply via hand vs the polisher OR can it be applied with the polisher as well?

2 minutes ago, GiggleMon said:

So, from my understanding - for drivers the wax isn't the best option but the Paint Sealant?

The 'best option' is up to you, but the PS will offer the best longevity (in the easy to use category).  If you like applying Last Step Products(LSP), e.g. waxes, etc. then something with a shorter duration would be fine for you.

We purchased a new car over Memorial Day weekend.  It has been too hot for me spend time doing a Strip Wash and applying PS (without getting paid for it!), so I have just been using H2O Guard & Gloss once a month during a Rinseless wash.  Now that our temps have finally dropped I will apply PS the next time I wash the car.  

Yes, LPS can also be applied with a machine.  If you watch the video for the LPS, Adam uses the dark grey polishing pad with his polisher. I guess the choice is yours, unless you don't own a polisher.......like me.:lol:

Edited by ZMAN024

11 minutes ago, GiggleMon said:

So this is one you apply via hand vs the polisher OR can it be applied with the polisher as well?

Your choice on the application method.   The machine will apply a thin layer (and for LSP's thin is better), but this version of PS works fine when applied by hand.  If you are using a machine us the black or red pads. 

22 minutes ago, mc2hill said:

Your choice on the application method.   The machine will apply a thin layer (and for LSP's thin is better), but this version of PS works fine when applied by hand.  If you are using a machine us the black or red pads. 

I'm assuming one of these two?

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/buffing-pads-applicators/adam-s-new-6-gray-foam-waxing-glazing-pad.html

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/buffing-pads-applicators/adam-s-new-6-red-foam-glazing-pad.html

14 minutes ago, GiggleMon said:

Yes, either of those will work.  Just make sure you are getting the right pad for the right size backing plate. 

Just now, Liralen said:

Yes, either of those will work.  Just make sure you are getting the right pad for the right size backing plate. 

I'm buying the porter cable later on today with a ton of other stuff as well - the sound of my wallet draining has really never sounded so good.

http://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-porter-cable-7424xp.html

2 minutes ago, GiggleMon said:

I'm buying the porter cable later on today with a ton of other stuff as well - the sound of my wallet draining has really never sounded so good.

http://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-porter-cable-7424xp.html

Yes, that is the right pad for use with the porter cable and applying the paint sealant. You will love having it....but you may also want to look at just getting the Adams Swirl Killer kit that has all the pads, correcting polishes, bag, swirlkiller, and includes the liquid paint sealant.  Especially with the 15% off sale going on....

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/kits/4-polishing-kits/adam-s-polisher-bag-kit.html

5 minutes ago, Liralen said:

Yes, that is the right pad for use with the porter cable and applying the paint sealant. You will love having it....but you may also want to look at just getting the Adams Swirl Killer kit that has all the pads, correcting polishes, bag, swirlkiller, and includes the liquid paint sealant.  Especially with the 15% off sale going on....

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/kits/4-polishing-kits/adam-s-polisher-bag-kit.html

I get the 15% off regardless - military / vet discount :D

Thanks for the suggestion though

Edited by GiggleMon

8 minutes ago, Liralen said:

That polisher does look legit though - hmmm decisions, decisions....

EDIT:
I don't know if it'll be worth it to me - not at this time anyway. The reviews on both machines look good.

Edited by GiggleMon

Welp, I did it and placed another order tonight and put the contents below. The one at the very bottom is an order I placed on Oct 15th - I'm fairly certain I got everything covered to detail the vehicles.

NEW Black Trim Restorer Kit
Complete 5.5" Pad & Polish Combo
Detail Spray & 2 Towel Combo
Porter Cable 7424xp Orbital Polisher
Great White Microfiber Drying Towel 2 Pack
Interior Detailer 16oz
5 Gallon Bucket With Grit Guard & Gamma Seal
Car Wash Shampoo 16oz
Liquid Paint Sealant Kit     
Wheel Woolie
Wheel Cleaner 16oz
Detail Spray & Visco Clay Bar Combo
VRT Super Block Tire Dressing Applicator
In & Out Spray

OCTOBER 15th ORDER

Leather & Interior Care Kit
Headlight Restoration Kit
Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner 16oz
Daily Driver Detailing Kit
Cockpit Brush

Attached is a file (not mine) with almost all the answers and watching the video series are really helpful at the order of the detailing process. 

Heres where I got the file: http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/30463-detailing-guide-pdf-file/ 

Winter Prep Video has a good overview of the steps other than polishing: https://youtu.be/3laHYUYR1ds

Adams Reference Doc.pdf