Customer Service 866.965.0400

Winter Washing - Help!

WMUCarGuy

Question

Right now, we have an arctic blast coming through Michigan and the temperatures haven't been above freezing for the last 10 days and it's looking like it will probably be another week or so before it breaks.

As such, you can't really wash your car since spraying it down with water when it's 10 degrees out will just result in everything freezing.

My Focus ST is now completely filthy, but I don't know if there's much I can do until the cold breaks. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to do when it's too cold to wash your car outside (and don't have access to a heated garage)?

I feel horrible, I never let my cars get like this, but unless I had a heated wash bay to use, I'm not sure what other options I have....

20171231_125409.jpg

20171231_125420.jpg

20171231_125430.jpg

Edited by WMUCarGuy

16 answers to this question

Use a local coin op to spray it (with water only) to get the excess crud off, then do a rinsless or waterless at home. You can also follow Adam's lead in his latest winter wash video if coin op place will allow it (off peak hours?) and it's semi warm outside.

Edited by falcaineer

9 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Use a local coin op to spray it (with water only) to get the excess crud off, then do a rinsless or waterless at home. You can also follow Adam's lead in his latest winter wash video if coin op place will allow it (off peak hours?) and it's semi warm outside.

Once it's semi-warm out, I'l just wash it, but until the temperatures come up above freezing, I don't think I have many options.

Our HIGH will be in the single digits several days this week...

24 minutes ago, WMUCarGuy said:

Once it's semi-warm out, I'l just wash it, but until the temperatures come up above freezing, I don't think I have many options.

Our HIGH will be in the single digits several days this week...

You're right, not many options. But in my opinion, Rinseless is your best bet, if you have it. Just a thought.

I'm in the same boat as you with this cold. We're below zero the next few nights.  I just keep my headlights, back up camera, and sensors clear, and the glass so I can see. Otherwise, the car is going to stay dirty.  I made sure it was well protected before the first salt hit the road, so I'm not real concerned about the dirt. In this weather, you no sooner get it off and it looks just as bad as soon as you drive it.  Spring is only 77 days away.  

3 hours ago, mathews31 said:

I am by no means knowledgeable in the Rinseless wash process but isn't that too much grime on the car?

1 hour ago, 8675309'SS said:

@WMUCarGuy you definitely want to spray that bad boy before you perform a rinseless.  The weather here just sucks right now. Not much you can do without some heat.  Over here we might get a day above freezing in about a week.  So maybe you'll have one too. :xfingers:

Agreed with both above...spray it off first. Sorry for the confusion.

17 hours ago, 8675309'SS said:

@WMUCarGuy you definitely want to spray that bad boy before you perform a rinseless.  The weather here just sucks right now. Not much you can do without some heat.  Over here we might get a day above freezing in about a week.  So maybe you'll have one too. :xfingers:

Looks like we might get one day of 34 next Monday before it plunges back down for as far as my weather app will look. Guess I know what I'm doing next Monday evening...

I love rinseless wash this time of year. I will stop by the pay and spray that is about 5 min from my house and really douse it down and clean it good. At times I will do the work there but if its really busy Ill do it at home. I have the 32oz premium spray bottle with a 16:1 rinseless solution and I just go to town on it, I do tend to use more towels and a bit more product in the winter but I usually have a clean vehicle. I have managed to do it in the low 20s without TOO much issue but much lower and it gets a bit tougher. 

rinse less wash is the first Adams product ill be using in 2018! Ive used waterless wash before to wipe down a panel or something but have never used the rinse less wash method. Everyone really seems to be pleased with the results.  

Just now, Tony_G said:

rinse less wash is the first Adams product ill be using in 2018! Ive used waterless wash before to wipe down a panel or something but have never used the rinse less wash method. Everyone really seems to be pleased with the results.  

RW is an almost indispensable product. Don't know what I ever did without it.

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but when it’s too cold to wash at home I use the car wash at the gas station. It is automated and has an undercarriage spray as you drive in. There are no brushes, it is just high pressure water. I try to get the car as hot as possible before I go running the heat & defrost on high to try and prevent doors, etc. from freezing which has worked for me.  At least it gets the heavy stuff off until I can wash it myself.