Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tonneau Cover Protectant

rwysowaty

Question

What do you all use for protecting a tonneau cover? I have known people who like 303 aerospace protectant, but wondered if there is an Adam's product people like to use. Or if any of the people who know/work with Adam, know of a product coming soon, which would do.

15 answers to this question

I have used it on one, but still not a fan of the rain runoff. the VRT is def awesome, but on the next one I am going to try the Matte protectant, looks the same as VRT in general but wonder if there is enough difference to keep the runnoff to a minimum. 

That is what my concern is. I have read on different forums that most things people try run off onto the paint in a good rain. Where I live it rains frequently

I was between trying VRT, 303 Aerospace, a h2o guard and gloss or Nanoskin Nano shock.

Because of my trust with Adam on a great deal of products and how well they work, I was hoping there was something coming. For, 11 years ago I used a number of his products, fond others that performed better, and now 2/3 of what I use are his.

VRT will work fine, just make sure to let it dry for a while, then give it a wipe.  This should lessen the run off.  I found a bottle of 303 the other day and treated my vinyl tonneau cover.  The next day I had the same run off I get with VRT.

18 hours ago, shmedley said:

I use a diluted VRT (around 50/50) on mine. I do the whole cover then do my tires and wheel wells and then go back over the cover with a fresh towel to get rid of the excess and I haven't had bad runoff  

As stated, knock down the VRT with a fresh towel really helps with the runoff.

On 1/24/2018 at 7:25 AM, Black Bowtie said:

As stated, knock down the VRT with a fresh towel really helps with the runoff.

I can say I’ve done this and still get run off. It’s a water based dressing. I don’t think there is anything to do about it. Frustrating for sure since it’s meant for exterior trim. 

On 1/23/2018 at 11:01 AM, mc2hill said:

VRT will work fine, just make sure to let it dry for a while, then give it a wipe.  This should lessen the run off.  I found a bottle of 303 the other day and treated my vinyl tonneau cover.  The next day I had the same run off I get with VRT.

I had a feeling what you say, could be true. As in, there is a desire we all have for something, but the ability to product that product and not have any runoff is not currently available.

Echoing whats already been said about most products running a bit after the first rain. VRT and 303 have run on me. What's helped minimize that as well is cleaning my Truxedo Lo-Pro with APC or Tire and rubber cleaner before treating it.  Both 303 and VRT run less and I get a more even finish. Even after 5 years of use that cover still looks great.

On 1/30/2018 at 8:15 AM, blcksilv08 said:

Echoing whats already been said about most products running a bit after the first rain. VRT and 303 have run on me. What's helped minimize that as well is cleaning my Truxedo Lo-Pro with APC or Tire and rubber cleaner before treating it.  Both 303 and VRT run less and I get a more even finish. Even after 5 years of use that cover still looks great.

I’m liking the idea of the APC before. That way you know for sure you are cleaning everything out for the VRT to “bond” too.