Customer Service 866.965.0400

Great White Drying Towels Streeking

Bryanbrooks4

Question

I recently purchased a few of the great white drying towels, they worked great the 1st time.  I washed them in the revitalizer and now im having problems with them streeking.  What should i do to solve this problem?  Thanks in advance for any helpfull info

13 answers to this question

34 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

I'll also ask if you used anything besides MRB, either in the washer or the dryer (assuming done by machine)?

I washed them by hand in the sink soaking them with revitalizer, then rinsed them.  I put them in the washer on rinse only to make sure they were rinsed well

Ive had towels before and washed them this way and never had this issue.  i have 2 black cars so when drying them they look horrible, unless i use detail spay or a spray wax.  my last set of towels lasted a few years

Edited by Bryanbrooks4

3 hours ago, Bryanbrooks4 said:

I washed them by hand in the sink soaking them with revitalizer, then rinsed them.  I put them in the washer on rinse only to make sure they were rinsed well

Ive had towels before and washed them this way and never had this issue.  i have 2 black cars so when drying them they look horrible, unless i use detail spay or a spray wax.  my last set of towels lasted a few years

It's always a good idea to follow up with Detail Spray or Guard n Gloss.  To just dry a black car with a damp towel and not get steaks would be rare. 

1 hour ago, Ls1transam said:

Never had any streaking. But after using mine for a season it doesn’t hardly pick up water anymore. Always used Revitalizer and cold water. I dry on low heat in the dryer too.

You can put them in boiling water and that will sometimes get extra life out of them and bring them back. Worth a shot. 

2 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

You can put them in boiling water and that will sometimes get extra life out of them and bring them back. Worth a shot. 

Seems like that would only do more harm? Especially when you aren’t suppose to dry on high heat.. 

2 hours ago, Ls1transam said:

Seems like that would only do more harm? Especially when you aren’t suppose to dry on high heat.. 

Not if done properly. Here's the excerpt from the article I posted above:

BOILING YOUR TOWELS:

Over time your microfiber may become contaminated past the point it can be completely cleaned using traditional methods. Typically this will present itself during use - drying towels will begin to feel less absorbent. Plush towels may lint slightly or smear products more than remove them. This is an indication that the fibers are 'full' either from residues deposited during use or things like fabric softener accidentally introduced during cleaning.

In any event, if your towels begin to loose their performance or just don't feel as good as they did new boiling is the solution, the last resort, to bring them back. NOTE: this process applies only to towels and microfiber without foam cores or backing. Never boil pads or applicators. 

• Fill a large cooking pot approximately 2/3rd full of water and bring to a boil
  • Add approximately 1-2oz of distilled white vinegar per gallon of water and stir
  • Place a few of the towels to be treated into the pot, maintaining a slow boil
  • Stir continuously with a large spoon, avoid letting the towels rest against the bottom or sides for too long
  • After about 60-90 seconds in the boil, remove the towels using tongs and rinse under cool water
  • Wash using the "Regular Cleaning" guidelines outlined earlier and they should be as good as new.

NOTE: Should boiling fail to bring absorbancy to a towel or the towel continues to lint then you are most likely dealing with a towel at the end of its lifespan. Retire the towel to less important tasks and replace with a new one for future use.

I had about 16 gray edgeless that no longer picked up water, so I tried the boiling process. There were several that I dunked that did not visibly absorb the water for a full 3 or 4 seconds. I could see they still looked dry, even while submerged... crazy. I stopped using the G&G to avoid this

again, but they’re all fine now.

18 hours ago, Bryanbrooks4 said:

When you dry you cars you always want to use DS spray anyway, it not only acts as a drying agent it will make you paint slicker......less chances of introducing swirls.