Customer Service 866.965.0400

rookie back, strip washing not going good

enoch7fa

Question

Ok so i been going through a lot trying to strip was cars.  I don't mean to sound wrong but i am sorry Adams strip wash doesn't do it for me. now don't get mad but i use it, a lot some times and cars bead like i didn't add anything different from regular shampoo.  Is Adams stuff keeping up with sealing and wax tech?  so i think the best way to go about helping me out is for everyone to chime in on how you strip you car for a detail.  Lets say this is the situation:

The last time you detailed you car you put down a layer of paint sealant, then brilliant glaze, then Americana paste wax and buttery wax for over kill to top it off.  month later you wash and used wash n wax,  month later you used H20 guard n gloss, going to show off you skills to friends and wanted car to really pop a month more or less later and did another layer of patriot and glaze.  six months has past time to redo for summer.  how would you strip it.  by the way from reading forums this all can happen and has lol want tell who mums the word.  ok everyone including Adams people what is your method for stripping you ride?

10 answers to this question

SW does it for me. How much are you using, and what method?

Another option is adding a few ounces of Eco APC to your wash bucket. 

Finally, liquid blue Dawn has also worked for me. It's not a popular option on here, mainly for fear of drying out trim, but I've used it on occasion with no ill effects noted.

Honestly, I don't just use Strip Wash and done. I always clay too to make sure I get everything off. But only about once a year.  I've used Dawn in the past as well with good results.  

Just a thought......it's possible that the SW is working as expected.  Water will bead up on perfectly clean paint without any protection / wax / sealant / glaze.  

You should be able to tell simply by rubbing your fingers on a freshly stripped section.  It will feel "squeaky" clean if the protection was removed.

6 hours ago, Rich said:

Honestly, I don't just use Strip Wash and done. I always clay too to make sure I get everything off. But only about once a year.  I've used Dawn in the past as well with good results.  

I agree. We don’t use strip wash. Maybe some APC if we are really worried. The products that are left on a vehicle will come off with the rest of the detailing process. Clay, polish, etc will all ensure a clean finish.

We don’t use dawn as a strip wash. It can be difficult to rinse off completely and complicate things down the line. But people can and have used it successfullly. 

13 minutes ago, ZMAN024 said:

Just a thought......it's possible that the SW is working as expected.  Water will bead up on perfectly clean paint without any protection / wax / sealant / glaze.  

You should be able to tell simply by rubbing your fingers on a freshly stripped section.  It will feel "squeaky" clean if the protection was removed.

Exactly what Oz just said. Clean paint will bead, it’s just not protected from any of the elements. 

Edited by shane@detailedreflections

Does it specifically seem to leave a beading paint on certain cars?  Some manufacturers over the last decade or so (Maybe longer) have started to engineer repellants into their clear coat that makes them bead and sheet water/bird stuff/etc. even without a protectant on it.  Also, as noted, clean paint will bead too. 

Make the suds in your bucket/foam cannon/foam gun, but then add a squirt or so onto your pad too.  Claying, Decon, and Polishing is going to knock anything off the paint though too. 

I think there's a misconception in the detailing world regarding strip soaps.  IME a fresh layer of a quality sealant will not come off solely on a "safe" strip wash.  Even claying and IPA isn't guaranteed to completely remove it.  The for sure way to remove a sealant would be a cleaner polish like Revive or an abrasive polish if you want to start fresh.  A sealant that has been on paint for a while and has had the opportunity to degrade would be stripped easier from a strip wash but its hard to say for certain.  Maybe Adams team has created a sealant that will be removed from their own strip wash but that's not to say other sealants would be removed the same.  I also recommend using an actual panel wipe like a coating prep etc. in place of IPA

Strip wash is better than traditional soaps for removing road film, bugs, tar etc.

Edited by JHL88

6 minutes ago, JHL88 said:

I think there's a misconception in the detailing world regarding strip soaps.  IME a fresh layer of a quality sealant will not come off solely on a "safe" strip wash.  Even claying and IPA isn't guaranteed to completely remove it.  The for sure way to remove a sealant would be a cleaner polish like Revive or an abrasive polish if you want to start fresh.  A sealant that has been on paint for a while and has had the opportunity to degrade would be stripped easier from a strip wash but its hard to say for certain.  Maybe Adams team has created a sealant that will be removed from their own strip wash but that's not to say other sealants would be removed the same.  I also recommend using an actual panel wipe like a coating prep etc. in place of IPA

Strip wash is better than traditional soaps for removing road film, bugs, tar etc.

Valid points. That’s why we don’t use strip wash. The cost versus benefit isn’t there for us. We can make strip wash with APC if we need to. But the polishing and prep process for LSP removes any remnants of what’s left. 

In my experience...

Full strength APC wouldn't completely strip Americana or Quick Sealant, nevermind using it diluted in with car shampoo.

Full strength Eco APC won't completely strip H20 G&G or Liquid Paint Sealant, nevermind using it diluted in with car shampoo.

Strip Wash completely strips everything from the car short of a coating, even black plastic trim is hella-dry afterwards and will drink a ton of VRT.