Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brand New Member - need advice

Dinomax

Over the winter I discovered Adams product online via Youtube. They seem very impressive. I have never used a DA polisher and have some fears about it, and was hoping to get feedback here on the forum. I have two new cars and don't want to mess them up !

I have a couple of questions for 2 cars:

• 2017 Corvette – Red metallic
    • The dealer must have buffed the car and I notice some light buffer trails in hood when the Sun hits it a the right angle - looks awful

• I need to get these trails out of the finish - prefer using hand method due to my insecurity about using a D

A
      • what is the best way to remove these marks? 

• 2018 Ford F150 – Black

• Truck is brand new

• What steps should I take bring out best shine and protect the paint?
      • is it too soon to put anything on the new paint?
      • I prefer not to use any type of ceramic coating

• What should I use for washing and ongoing maintenance?

Welcome to the forum!

For the vette, you can try using revive hand polish and a blue applicator pad to try and remove the buffer trail, but its going to require a lot of elbow grease and even though im not sure if itll get the whole thing out depending on how bad it is right now.

As for the F150, now is actually a good time to do a full paint correction on it, but if you dont want to use a DA, just go straight to a clay bar and paint sealant. You can then add wax if you want, but the sealant will provide most of the protection you need without using a ceramic coat. Some people will say skip the clay bar if its not needed, but I find the sealant lasts a whole lot longer if the car is clayed. 

As for the maintenance, I really like H2O guard n gloss. It also adds sealant to your finish and a lot of shine. For a truck, I always recommend invisible undercarriage spray as it makes a huge difference on lifted cars. 

Welcome to the forum!

The best way to fix your Corvette is to use Adams 15 mm Swirl Killer. It is completely safe to use and will give you far better results then trying to polish by hand. 

The paint on your truck is good to go for any type of protection. I would suggest using Adams new Iron Remover followed by Adams clay before using a wax/sealant.  This process will remove contaminants on the paint. If you get the Adams Swirl Killer I would then polish the truck. If the paint does not have a lot of flaws I would just use the Finishing Polish. If not then you may have to use Adams Compound followed by Adams Correcting Polish.

For protection I would use Adams Liquid Paint Sealant followed by Adams Guard and Gloss when needed. You may also use the Americana or Patriot wax. The Patriot wax would be great for your Corvette! 

Any pictures of your vehicles?

I always used Revive with my black Vette when I did it by hand.  You can get 90% of it out with that.  Follow up with some Brilliant Glaze and any of the waxes.... I prefer the Patriot.  Vette paint isn't terribly hard to deal with and correct.  I did my Vette (all my cars) by hand for years, then upgraded to a Porter Cable, but that killed my shoulder. So when the Swirl Killer came out I tried that and highly recommend it.  Simple to use and you can't screw it up unless you let your pads run dry and push too hard in the same spot.

Washing...... watch some of the videos. I use a two bucket wash (one to wash, one to rinse) and the foam gun attached to my hose.  The new iK foam sprayers work well too if you don't want bothered with switching out the hose.  My weapon of choice when I wash is the wedge over the mitt.  As for new paint on your truck.......if it's over 4 months old, you're fine to use anything.

Best advice......watch the videos.  They're your best friend.

Welcome to the forum Dino! :welcomebanner:

4 hours ago, Dinomax said:

Over the winter I discovered Adams product online via Youtube. They seem very impressive. I have never used a DA polisher and have some fears about it, and was hoping to get feedback here on the forum. I have two new cars and don't want to mess them up !

I have a couple of questions for 2 cars:

• 2017 Corvette – Red metallic
    • The dealer must have buffed the car and I notice some light buffer trails in hood when the Sun hits it a the right angle - looks awful

• I need to get these trails out of the finish - prefer using hand method due to my insecurity about using a D

A
      • what is the best way to remove these marks? 

• 2018 Ford F150 – Black

• Truck is brand new

• What steps should I take bring out best shine and protect the paint?
      • 

is it too soon to put anything on the new paint?
      • I prefer not to use any type of ceramic coating

• What should I use for washing and ongoing maintenance?

First off Welcome!

The dealer used a rotary on your Vette, our SK Polisher will take care of all the rotary trails for sure probably Orange pad & CP.

As far as your truck I would clay first (clay both first) then (even being new) I would go over it with the SK as well even if you just use White pad & FP. On both cars I would do a 2x2 test spot so you will know what it's going to take to correct. 

Then on both you can apply BG, then either our PS or one of our waxes. https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/waxing-and-glazing.html

Hope this helps....Let me know if you have any questions!

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/kits/4-polishing-kits.html

Thank you Chris -  very helpful advice. 

Hopefully this is not a sacrilegious question, but I can borrow a Torq 10fx polisher.....

Will Adams pads fit and effectively work on the Torq 10fx?

17 hours ago, Dinomax said:

Thank you Chris -  very helpful advice. 

Hopefully this is not a sacrilegious question, but I can borrow a Torq 10fx polisher.....

Will Adams pads fit and effectively work on the Torq 10fx?

It depends on the backing plate on the Torq.  Adam's sells 6.5" pads and 5.5" pads.  And they should perform fine.   

Hi mc2hill -

Thank you for the reply. Last rookie question......the Torq has a hard backing plate and a softer rubber one (both seem to accept 5.5 pads). Which one should I use with Adams Orange pad and correcting polish? 

19 hours ago, Dinomax said:

Hi mc2hill -

Thank you for the reply. Last rookie question......the Torq has a hard backing plate and a softer rubber one (both seem to accept 5.5 pads). Which one should I use with Adams Orange pad and correcting polish? 

I think either would work.  From the description the red backing plate is firmer, and claims to correct faster.  The yellow one looks like a Lake Country bp, which what most of us used on our Porter Cables.  I would probably go with the yellow one.

As for the actual work, make sure to do a test section first to dial in your process, then take your time on the polishing.  Finally stand back and enjoy the shine! 

About the only way to damage the finish with a dual action polisher is to drop the machine on the paint. :pc: