Customer Service 866.965.0400

Microfiber Towels - Drag and Leave Lint

Tim417

Question

Hey guys, I know someone else asked this question but it didn’t really get a solid answer: 

Some info on the paint: It was recently clayed, corrected, and sealed along with a topping of Brilliant Glaze. When using either Detail Spray or Waterless Wash to remove some light dust, I noticed my towels (Adams Single Soft along with a couple double softs) were draggy and left a little lint. I know it isn’t the paint because if I whip out a new towel out of the bag, that one is fine. 

My towels are always machine washed separately using Adams Microfiber Revitalizer. I spray some on soiled towels, and also use it as detergent. I usually use hot water, and they are dried separate from any other towels in the dryer after cleaning the lint trap and setting the temp to extra low.

Are my towels simply worn out or am I doing something wrong to them? Any ideas?

Tim

12 answers to this question

A lot of questions still, 

How old are the towels?

How frequently are they being washed? 

Is the lint the same fiber as the towel? or could it have come from the machine? 

Are you sue the towels are completely clean? 

Is it the same spot on the area of the car all the time? 

Have you cleaned your washing machine lately to remove build up of other detergents or products?

The towels are less than a year old and are have been washed maybe 25 times at the most. The “lint” is actually the microfiber shedding a little and not something else built up in the towel. Towels appear to be clean. It’s anywhere on the paint of the car, and if I use a new towel on the car it glides right across the paint. 

Good question on the washing machine. It’s a front loader and I havent cleaned it recently. Not even sure how to do that. 

Tim

On 8/18/2018 at 11:04 AM, Tim417 said:

The towels are less than a year old and are have been washed maybe 25 times at the most. The “lint” is actually the microfiber shedding a little and not something else built up in the towel. Towels appear to be clean. It’s anywhere on the paint of the car, and if I use a new towel on the car it glides right across the paint. 

Good question on the washing machine. It’s a front loader and I havent cleaned it recently. Not even sure how to do that. 

Tim

Tim,

I clean the washing machine before using for MF Towels.  Just use whit vinegar.  I put some in the Soap, Fabric Softener and Bleach compartments to clean any of that stuff out and run it through a Hot water Cotton wash with extra rinse.  

I am also having the same issue. It’s very annoying!  It’s only my single and double soft. Nothing like getting all shined up at a show and realizing the car is covered in fuzz. I’ve got a fortune in these towels and also wash them separately and spray with the MF spray before hand. This makes me want to switch towels. Can anyone help?

6 hours ago, Burrell Images said:

I am also having the same issue. It’s very annoying!  It’s only my single and double soft. Nothing like getting all shined up at a show and realizing the car is covered in fuzz. I’ve got a fortune in these towels and also wash them separately and spray with the MF spray before hand. This makes me want to switch towels. Can anyone help?

Same questions above apply... What more can you tell us?

I have started to experience the same 'linting' issue recently with my single soft and double soft MF towels.  This happened again to me yesterday.  I clayed the area first and wiped it down so it wasn't still really wet and to remove any floating contaminants.  I hand applied Americana paste wax and allowed to set for a short period of time.  Both single soft and double soft MF towels seemed to 'drag' when removing the wax and leave lint.  

They are stored in the plastic Sterilite box with latching lid.  I use only Woolite to wash them on delicate in warm water.  I first use the soak cycle on the machine then a short cycle with cold water and cold rinse.  They are line dried in my basement.  I think I am doing everything correctly to get the longest life and continued high quality from them.  

I have only rarely heard of boiling MF towels.  What is that expected to do for them?  What are the correct steps to do that.

Thanks much in advance.

Mike

59 minutes ago, icantdrive55 said:

I have started to experience the same 'linting' issue recently with my single soft and double soft MF towels.  This happened again to me yesterday.  I clayed the area first and wiped it down so it wasn't still really wet and to remove any floating contaminants.  I hand applied Americana paste wax and allowed to set for a short period of time.  Both single soft and double soft MF towels seemed to 'drag' when removing the wax and leave lint.  

They are stored in the plastic Sterilite box with latching lid.  I use only Woolite to wash them on delicate in warm water.  I first use the soak cycle on the machine then a short cycle with cold water and cold rinse.  They are line dried in my basement.  I think I am doing everything correctly to get the longest life and continued high quality from them.  

I have only rarely heard of boiling MF towels.  What is that expected to do for them?  What are the correct steps to do that.

Thanks much in advance.

Mike

Check out the post I made above linking you to caring for the towels. It explains the boiling process, as well.

Boiling will not help guys.  The towels are done after they start linting.

Super plush towels are one of the biggest scams in the detailing industry.   They serve absolutely no purpose, waste tons of money and lint like crazy.  

Quit buying your towels based on how thick and soft they are and buy them based on their performance and versatility.  16" x 16" 380 gsm is all you need for all your polishing, waxing and sealant needs.

That's all I will say here...