Customer Service 866.965.0400

First Wax Job, need some advice

BlackCadi14

Question

Good afternoon to you all, I decided since i had the day off yesterday I wanted to detail my ride, which I thought was going to be easier than it was.  I am also a novice at this, keep that in mind please.  I have some questions and need some advice for next time.  Here are the steps I did:

1. Washed the car with Strip Wash

2. (of Course) Dried the car

3. Clay bar the car

4. Machine polished it with correcting polish (orange and orange pad)

5. Followed that with a whitd pad and finish polish

6. last I sealed it with gray pad and sealant wax.

here is what Im having trouble with this today.  it was late last night when I fished.  the car looks good, expect it has a haze from the sealant wax, I am having a hard time getting the haze to disappear.  I did let it stand on the car before removing it.  I did the hood, and both sides and then decided to wipe it off, is that right or wrong, I am thinking maybe this stuff does not need to sit up on the car for more than 10 minutes.

Also my question is speed on the swirl killer, I applied the wax at 2 and then polished it at 4, with a back to forth motion and up to down motion as well.  Should certain waxes be applied slower than others.

I also dont want to have to wax it again to get the haze all gone but will have to do what is needed to make her look stunning.   btw, sorry for the half naked fat guy, i promise its not me!!  HAHA!!!

Thank you in advance for all the help you guys!!!     

wax3.jpg

wax2.jpg

wax1.jpg

wax4.jpg

14 answers to this question

Ryan has you covered. From your outline, looks like you didn't remove all the polish residue before you applied the wax (paint sealant?). Unfortunately, another strip wash may be in order to remove everything, then reapply the LSP (Last Step Product).

Next time you polish, I recommend you use either a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol mix or Coating Prep and some Waterless Wash towels to remove the polish oils/residue. 

And keep in mind since the car is black, a little more "love" is needed to get it just right! It does look good...you're well on your way! And thanks for the warning on the reflection ?.

I started today by using detail spray to help get rid of the haze from the paint sealant.  I then applied another coat of finishing polish.  I removed all the polish from the area of the car (trunk lid) and then I tried paint sealant again.  I removed it the best I could and it was tough to remove (according to the video, it should be easy to remove), I took the led light and looked over the area and I could still see haze.  I then waxed it again with finishing polish to help get rid of the haze and it did.  

I am not sure if paint sealant is good for my car, I seems nice but leave a awful haze.  I can not get the pics to show it.  i am frustrated it with.  

I finished the car off today with Buttery Wax to give it a great shine.  I know that Buttery Wax will not last as long as paint sealant.  I was hoping to use paint sealant.  

thank you guys for the advice and help.  I am trying to learn what I'm doing wrong so that i can make it better next time.  

1 hour ago, BlackCadi14 said:

I started today by using detail spray to help get rid of the haze from the paint sealant.  I then applied another coat of finishing polish.  I removed all the polish from the area of the car (trunk lid) and then I tried paint sealant again.  I removed it the best I could and it was tough to remove (according to the video, it should be easy to remove), I took the led light and looked over the area and I could still see haze.  I then waxed it again with finishing polish to help get rid of the haze and it did.  

I am not sure if paint sealant is good for my car, I seems nice but leave a awful haze.  I can not get the pics to show it.  i am frustrated it with.  

I finished the car off today with Buttery Wax to give it a great shine.  I know that Buttery Wax will not last as long as paint sealant.  I was hoping to use paint sealant.  

thank you guys for the advice and help.  I am trying to learn what I'm doing wrong so that i can make it better next time.  

After applying PS if you still see haze try Brilliant Glaze. That should remove the haze left behind from Paint Sealant . This happened to me when I did it the first time. Hope it works for you.

I've been using Adams Paint Sealant for years and it always leaves a haze.  The current Paint Sealant is much better than the last version at least.  I always follow up with brilliant glaze to remove it.  And if there's a few really stubborn ones, they usually come off with the first wash.

Also, I would recommend coating prep between polishing and sealing.  And last, I don't bother drying the car before claying but I work in a garage.

Thank you guys, I did the first job in my garage Saturday night but the door was open so...  

Sunday I worked out side where I had room, the sun was behind my house and not directly on my car.  I was in the shade until it got dark on me.  I am working on cleaning my garage out where I could have more room but doubt I will have all the room I need.  future goals, bigger Man Cave!!  

The PS seemed very stubborn to get off with the rag as well.  I thought it should be a simple wipe off, not rubb the paint off I feel like

I applied Buttery Wax last night to car, gave up on the PS at the moment.  

I'm learning, i will get it, just need a little help as I get there.  

3 hours ago, BlackCadi14 said:

Thank you guys, I did the first job in my garage Saturday night but the door was open so...  

Sunday I worked out side where I had room, the sun was behind my house and not directly on my car.  I was in the shade until it got dark on me.  I am working on cleaning my garage out where I could have more room but doubt I will have all the room I need.  future goals, bigger Man Cave!!  

The PS seemed very stubborn to get off with the rag as well.  I thought it should be a simple wipe off, not rubb the paint off I feel like

How did you apply the paint sealant? From what you wrote it appears you use a swirl killer with a grey pad, correct? 

I just applied paint sealant to a big truck yesterday and it wiped off like butter. Granted it is non Adam's brand, but I own and have used Adam's paint sealant before and the wipe off is extremely similar. If you apply it nice and thin the wipe off couldn't be more simple/easy. 

46 minutes ago, BlackCadi14 said:

Still looks like a job well done Jeremy! Just take a little practice to get use to the way everything works together! 

A few things come to mind. 

First...for glazes and sealants, you apply by machine as slow as possible. Basically just enough to keep the pad moving. 

Second...we don’t do a wash or wipe after polishing. The selant/glaze/wax have plenty of solvents in them to aid in the removal. Coatings are a different creature. 

Third...it’s a black car. It doesn’t take a high ambient temperature to heat up the panels and make removal difficult. We will wash outside, but product is commonly applied indoors so there’s no direct heat. 

Paint sealant should come off easily. Heat is the biggest culprit. Either heat built up during application, or on the vehicle. That heat and leftover residue can cause the haze you describe. 

My last thought is that the area didn’t get polished out enough. Incomplete polishing can leave a haze. Particularly if you use compounds which I don’t think you did. Black can still be notoriously difficult. We don’t do black without two steps of polishing. It’s just the way it is. 

Buttery wax has a notoriously short lifespan, so be ready for frequent application. 

i applied with the swirl killer (15mm) and gray pad.  from one of the adams video it shows him using speed setting 4.  i would start with 2 and move to 4 to work it in, could that have done the hazing, maybe too much heat from the pads and machine.   I just thought if you apply it right, it should wipe off with no extra force, so that made me think i was doing something wrong when I had to really get after it to get it off or try to get it off

Shane, thank you so much for your feedback, I guess i need to try to apply it slower next time.  I know buttery wax would not last long and i was hoping for something longer with my work schedule is about to get crazy and the car will be put off till i get another day off

3 hours ago, BlackCadi14 said:

i applied with the swirl killer (15mm) and gray pad.  from one of the adams video it shows him using speed setting 4.  i would start with 2 and move to 4 to work it in, could that have done the hazing, maybe too much heat from the pads and machine.   I just thought if you apply it right, it should wipe off with no extra force, so that made me think i was doing something wrong when I had to really get after it to get it off or try to get it off

Shane, thank you so much for your feedback, I guess i need to try to apply it slower next time.  I know buttery wax would not last long and i was hoping for something longer with my work schedule is about to get crazy and the car will be put off till i get another day off

It should be on a speed just fast enough to keep the pad rotating. I use the swirl killer mini to apply it. Even though its only a 4" pad, since your're applying by machine it goes very quickly and keeps the heat down. I had it on speed 3 and the pad spun just fine and was a breeze to wipe off. 

Keep heat low, lay it down thin and work out of direct sunlight if possible. 

19 minutes ago, BlackCadi14 said:

Speed four is polishing speed on the Rupes machines we use. Similar to the Adams ones. I can’t think of a time when you’d want to go that fast for a sealant. 

Sealants generally don’t play well with heat. They also don’t need to be “worked in.” Once the paint is bare after polishing, it will bond to the surface and you’re wiping off the excess product. Thin to win is key here. We lay sealant and glaze at speed one, maybe two. But that’s rare. Waxes are put down by hand...always. Just our way of doing things.